Switch Theme:

Star Trek: general discussion :Picard trailer p#16  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

I disagree with the service because I don't want it to become the norm. The idea of managing a two or three dozen subscriptions to different streaming services because everyone decided to hog their content to themselves behind their own individual paywalls annoys me.

I don't want the market to look like that, so I won't support it. I have no qualm with good old home video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 05:42:58


   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






I already have five subscriptions.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV, WWE Network and Shudder, an Amazon all horror channel.

Each gives me something different, but I am considering dropping Netflix. NowTV is defo staying, because it's all the channels I'd watch if I had a full Sky Sub, but for the merest fraction of the price.

For others? It really does depend what they're offering me.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 LordofHats wrote:
I disagree with the service because I don't want it to become the norm. The idea of managing a two or three dozen subscriptions to different streaming services because everyone decided to hog their content to themselves behind their own individual paywalls annoys me.

I don't want the market to look like that, so I won't support it. I have no qualm with good old home video.


That's reasonable and I actually agree. The fragmentation of streaming content is turning what used to be a 2-3 subscription affair (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime) into dozens to get the same content. It's both inevitable and regretable that its starting to resemble the cost and the mess of cable tv.

   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

Returning to DISCO, I say again it should have been set 50 years after Voyager. Have we gained anything from having Burnham be Spock's foster sister? Until S2 that's literally the only reason it has to be set in the past.


 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
Returning to DISCO, I say again it should have been set 50 years after Voyager. Have we gained anything from having Burnham be Spock's foster sister? Until S2 that's literally the only reason it has to be set in the past.



Agreed - I really enjoyed it but the "Klingons" could have been a new race and it would have been perfect

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

Having watched through all but the last 3 episodes at this point I'd have to agree. The basic premise of Discovery, and I really hate using this metaphor because some fanfic is actually pretty good but;

"So it turns out Spock totally has a foster sister, who is human but raised by Vulcans because of tragedy that comes back to haunt her (and we'll claim in the same episode we bring this up no one has seen Klingons in a hundred years even though they apparently busy themselves massacring places in our borders) and she makes totally reasonable decisions but no one likes them so she goes to jail but she's so super good at science too she gets hired by the secret government for top secret stuff but etc. etc. etc."

I could honestly rant about the absolutely horrific premise behind Burnham's antisue character for awhile but I doubt anyone wants to hear that so I'll just stop. It really is like someone's first fanfic that they tried really hard on at the start. It's admirable, and even charming at times, but it's also kind of cringe worthy. it's only after the writers seem to have gotten a real handle on what their doing 5-6 episodes in that the story starts improving past horror movie levels of lazy characterization and plotting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 17:51:49


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






You're not the only one who suggested that but the creators wanted to name drop it in with existing canon for the extra potential eyeballs while simultaneously throwing all that canon baggage out of the window. Things must not have gone as well as hoped for them to break the glass and slam the "only in case of emergency" Spock/Enterprise button when they promised they wouldn't less than a year before the reveal of both.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/18/16500810/star-trek-discovery-continuity-original-series

We know that Spock exists in the same timeline as Burnham, but Discovery producer Akiva Goldsman confirmed that Discovery viewers will never see Spock.

The producer did, however, address continuity concerns people have about Discovery. Goldsman said he was aware that Discovery could potentially catch up with The Original Series and, if that were to happen, the show would acknowledge The Original Series’ timeline in some fashion. Until that point, Goldsman said Discovery will exist within its own universe.


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/11/13 17:54:32


   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 LordofHats wrote:
Having watched through all but the last 3 episodes at this point I'd have to agree. The basic premise of Discovery, and I really hate using this metaphor because some fanfic is actually pretty good but;

"So it turns out Spock totally has a foster sister, who is human but raised by Vulcans because of tragedy that comes back to haunt her (and we'll claim in the same episode we bring this up no one has seen Klingons in a hundred years even though they apparently busy themselves massacring places in our borders) and she makes totally reasonable decisions but no one likes them so she goes to jail but she's so super good at science too she gets hired by the secret government for top secret stuff but etc. etc. etc."

I could honestly rant about the absolutely horrific premise behind Burnham's antisue character for awhile but I doubt anyone wants to hear that so I'll just stop. It really is like someone's first fanfic that they tried really hard on at the start. It's admirable, and even charming at times, but it's also kind of cringe worthy. it's only after the writers seem to have gotten a real handle on what their doing 5-6 episodes in that the story starts improving past horror movie levels of lazy characterization and plotting.


Not just fanfic but Mary Sue levels of fanfic.

FYI the term Mary Sue (a 'perfect' character the author wants everyone to love) comes from a very early parody of Star Trek fanfic called a Trekers Tale.

And now it's canon.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

It honestly reminds me of Star Trek: Renegades, i.e. that fan film where every actor plays a mary sue character oh and Tuvok and Chekov are here and we forgot what we were doing with the plot here's some EXPLOSIONS!

Except with higher production values and slightly better writing. Which makes me sound like I'm really ripping on the series I guess. It gets better. Everything after episode 4 steadily improves, and I feel like I'm watching something by episode 9 or so that's at least on par with Voyager. Not high praise in my book, but I'm sufficiently appeased that I'll watch a little more just to see where it goes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 18:33:24


   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 LordofHats wrote:
It honestly reminds me of Star Trek: Renegades, i.e. that fan film where every actor plays a mary sue character oh and Tuvok and Chekov are here and we forgot what we were doing with the plot here's some EXPLOSIONS!

Except with higher production values and slightly better writing. Which makes me sound like I'm really ripping on the series I guess. It gets better. Everything after episode 4 steadily improves, and I feel like I'm watching something by episode 9 or so that's at least on par with Voyager. Not high praise in my book, but I'm sufficiently appeased that I'll watch a little more just to see where it goes.


Urghh no - Voyager was just bad - yeah the Dr was good and there was 7of 9 but most of the rest was drek. It had THAT boxing episode and the Dlelta flyer on shoting Borg cubes - talk about Fanfic.

Plus Voyager did not have a Mirror episode - which could have actually been fun and even their Q episode was dull.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in se
Ferocious Black Templar Castellan






Sweden

I have a hard time seeing how Burnham is a Mary Sue when she immediately feths up monumentally and gets Georgiou killed. Poor writing is not the same as a Mary Sue.

For thirteen years I had a dog with fur the darkest black. For thirteen years he was my friend, oh how I want him back. 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 AlmightyWalrus wrote:
I have a hard time seeing how Burnham is a Mary Sue when she immediately feths up monumentally and gets Georgiou killed. Poor writing is not the same as a Mary Sue.


My check list would be:

Extra super special origin (human raised by Vulcans)
Always right (she didn't #$%^ up, everyone else did for not listening to her)
Improbable ascension (rather than return you to jail we'll give you a job on our super secret ship)
Saves the universe or whatever
Improbable love affair (Klingon-human hybrid dude spy thing)
Cool super ship

I mean the actress is really good, and she's not quite at Wesley Crusher levels, but she's pretty much a Mary Sue.

 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






As opposed to Kirk?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

Burnham has an overly dramatic (and horrifically overly contrived) origin story that also grants her a contrived connection to a major character (Spock/Sarek), is overly idealized in the narrative despite her flaws (granting her antisue status imo), and coasts through the plot for no explicable reason while quickly winning people over to her side for no explicable reason. The one person who doesn't like her much of the time is Saru, who is portrayed (and revealed) to do so for exceedingly petty reasons despite extolling her virtues as an officer at many turns... for no explicable reason?

Spoiler:
Even her Mirror Universe counterpart is inexplicably loved by everyone despite espousing ideals completely opposite to those of the Empire, and they love Prime Burnham just as much because... reasons?


Being a Sue isn't a hard category, but a vague collection of bad writing tropes and Burnham hits more than enough of them for me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 21:25:10


   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
As opposed to Kirk?


real Kirk wouldn't qualify but Fake Kirk definitely does.

from washout cadet about to be expelled to Captain of the fleet's flagship in under an hour? And it gets WORSE in later films?

My gawd, I have quibbles with DISCO but the Kelvin films need to die in a fire.

 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

Spock also had a half-brother that he NEVER spoke of and nobody knew about until the movie with the cowboys and the rocks in it.

So him having an adopted sister and not speaking of it is not out of character.

Kirk was a prat, played by a never-was-been.

I'm 50.
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

I generally liked JJ Trek and I'd agree that Kirk's rapid rise to captaincy only makes sense in an emergency. That he kept it after the fact the rather jarring... and then it happens again in the second movie.

EDIT: I don't think I'm alone either in consider Star Trek V to be the worst of the TOS films by far. I'm not sure that's the standard we want to be measuring with.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 22:44:29


   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 chromedog wrote:


Kirk was a prat, played by a never-was-been.


Which Kirk?

Or both?

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







 chromedog wrote:

Kirk was a prat


Wrong Hollywood Chris. :p
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Et In Arcadia Ego





Canterbury





The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all
We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.
“Simple solution” is the new “I have a cunning plan”
 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

well Kurztmen is at the helm so very low hopes for this series

   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

Never heard of the vulcan throat punch before ...

I'm 50.
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 chromedog wrote:
Never heard of the vulcan throat punch before ...


It's a nerve pinch. Not sure if you're watching that on your phone but on a bigger screen it's clear.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/12/02 03:47:04


   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Seems we get Disco Season 2 next year, and....the new Picard series (not in 2020 as previously billed)

I for one am excite!

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in nl
Veteran Wolf Guard Squad Leader




 LordofHats wrote:
I generally liked JJ Trek and I'd agree that Kirk's rapid rise to captaincy only makes sense in an emergency. That he kept it after the fact the rather jarring... and then it happens again in the second movie.

EDIT: I don't think I'm alone either in consider Star Trek V to be the worst of the TOS films by far. I'm not sure that's the standard we want to be measuring with.


Really? I rather enjoyed it. Actually captured the cheesiness of TOS rather well I thought.
Also: "Excuse me. What does God need with a starship?"
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






RIght then.

Arise ye thread of old. The Disco is open once more. Well, it will be in a few hours when Season 2 kicks off on Netflix in the UK


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Committed Chaos Cult Marine






[/url]https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a25901852/star-trek-spin-offs-learn-from-deep-space-nine-voyager-mistakes/[url]

"I think that Deep Space Nine and Voyager got into a tricky spot where people were starting to feel like, 'I can't tell the difference between the shows', even though they were very different.


No...I'm begging you, don't say it...

"Our job is to make sure that every time you get a new Star Trek show, it feels like a very different prospect from any other Trek show that exists.


Well...nvm, there it is.

All hope is gone. We will never know what happened after the Dominion War and the Return of Voyager to Earth. Did Cardassia eventually join the Federation? Did the Romulan Empire continue to play hopscotch with the Federation on the edge of the neutral zone, or were more formal relations established in the aftermath of the conflict? After the Dominion withdraw from the Alpha Quadrant, did they also establish more peaceful relations with said quadrant? Was Odo able to teach his people all that he had learned in an effort to help bring them into the greater galaxy in a more positive light? How long did Ben spend with the Prophets? Did he return? After Janeway's return, how were relations between the Borg and the Federation? Were there further wars between the two, or did things settle down. Were there new expeditions into the Beta Quadrant? How much damage did Bashir and O'Brien actually manage to do to S31? Did the Klingon's ever relinquish any of the territory they annexed from both Cardassia and the Federation?

What, 20 years of story telling, 21 seasons across three different shows. All of it gone, forgotten and left in an age long dead.



   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Well, it looks like some reviews are filtering in. The good news is that all the sites owned by CBS think the second season premiere on CBS All Access is great!




Just kidding... I'm sure the reviews even on non-CBS owned sites will be stellar just like with fan favs like the Last Jedi and the latest Doctor Who season.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/17 16:09:26


   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

@Togusa apparently the new Picard show is set in the real time line, on the Enterprise E even!!

We shall see of course.

I'm headed overseas again this summer so waiting on Disco until I get watch it on Netflix rather than buy into a new service.

 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






Haven't watched the show so no comment on it but I have seen the redesign of the original Enterprise from the series and I like it. It seems to have taken elements from TOS, the refit Enterprise from the movies, and probably hints from the Abrams version. I may even get the Eaglemoss XL version of it.

Spoiler:

Amidst the mists and coldest frosts he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: