Switch Theme:

Star Trek: general discussion :Picard trailer p#16  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine






 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
@Togusa apparently the new Picard show is set in the real time line, on the Enterprise E even!!

We shall see of course.

I'm headed overseas again this summer so waiting on Disco until I get watch it on Netflix rather than buy into a new service.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452

This article seems to indicate otherwise, that it is set in the JJ verse and deals with the destruction of Romulus. Pure. Gak. If true.
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

The destruction of Romulus happened in the original timeline, not the "JJverse" timeline.

If anything the article posits exactly what you want, a series picking right on the last piece of info we have of the original Star Trek timeline. Look on the bright side. It can't be worse than what STO did with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/17 18:12:30


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Yeah, introducing the Enterprise (and Spock) are "break glass in case of emergency" aspects added on late last season in direct contradiction to what the creators said they'd do (or in this case wouldn't) just a few months earlier.

I agree that the new Enterprise look is nice and I see it as equal parts TOS, TMP, and STD (mainly just the metallic color) for better or worse. I prefer the fan model (as in phsyical 1/350th? scale model) version created by Bill Krause that additionally has the TOS colors.

Spoiler:


Of course, since it does mix in parts of classic trek it instantly clashes with the more angular STD asthetics and some fans of the new look don't like the Enterprise. YMMV.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/01/18 20:32:53


   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine






 LordofHats wrote:
The destruction of Romulus happened in the original timeline, not the "JJverse" timeline.


?? Romulus was not destroyed in any of the canon from TNG to Voyager.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Togusa wrote:
 LordofHats wrote:
The destruction of Romulus happened in the original timeline, not the "JJverse" timeline.


?? Romulus was not destroyed in any of the canon from TNG to Voyager.


"In 2387, a star close to Romulus went supernova, endangering the entire galaxy. Ambassador Spock created a red matter singularity which consumed the star, but not before the supernova reached Romulus, destroying the planet, bringing the fall of the empire. (Star Trek)"

This is Gak. And I don't care what anyone says. IT. NEVER. HAPPENED.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/17 18:14:34


 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 Togusa wrote:
?? Romulus was not destroyed in any of the canon from TNG to Voyager.


Romulus was destroyed in the Star Trek reboot yes, but it's destruction is part of the classic Trek timeline carrying on from a two parter in TNG's last season. A story focused on the aftermath of that event won't be set in the altered timeline of the JJverse films, but the original timeline.

Of course how much we learn about the aftermath of the Dominion War and Voyager could be down to nothing. It sounds like they're pitching a sort of character piece focused specifically on Picard's life and times. We might not get much about the present state of Cardassia, the Dominion, or the Voyager crew. At the very least we'll probably get plenty about the fate of the Romulans. Personally I'd rather see a movie about DS9 along these lines. After Bajor joins the Federation and what's going on in the lives of all those characters. I'll watch something about Picard though.

   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine






 LordofHats wrote:
 Togusa wrote:
?? Romulus was not destroyed in any of the canon from TNG to Voyager.


Romulus was destroyed in the Star Trek reboot yes, but it's destruction is part of the classic Trek timeline carrying on from a two parter in TNG's last season. A story focused on the aftermath of that event won't be set in the altered timeline of the JJverse films, but the original timeline.

Of course how much we learn about the aftermath of the Dominion War and Voyager could be down to nothing. It sounds like they're pitching a sort of character piece focused specifically on Picard's life and times. We might not get much about the present state of Cardassia, the Dominion, or the Voyager crew. At the very least we'll probably get plenty about the fate of the Romulans. Personally I'd rather see a movie about DS9 along these lines. After Bajor joins the Federation and what's going on in the lives of all those characters. I'll watch something about Picard though.


Ah, I think I understand our disagreement. I'm saying I don't accept that terrible, terrible writing from the movie to be cannon. I know that Paramount considers it so, but I don't. I refuse. When Janeway came home, ST was over. Whatever happened after 2002, it wasn't star trek.
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






ST was over before Janeway left home.

So, seems CBS aired it yesterday. Anyone tune in?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






Continues to be a decent sci-fi action show with a veneer of Star Trek. It’s interesting to see the bits of Discovery next to Enterprise and it’s OST themes.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh, and I don’t know if I just never noticed it in the first season, or if there was never a sequence that framed it so well, but Saru’s arm movement when they’re walking is really freaky.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/18 10:15:23


 
   
Made in gb
Yu Jing Martial Arts Ninja




North Wales

 AduroT wrote:
Continues to be a decent sci-fi action show with a veneer of Star Trek. It’s interesting to see the bits of Discovery next to Enterprise and it’s OST themes.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh, and I don’t know if I just never noticed it in the first season, or if there was never a sequence that framed it so well, but Saru’s arm movement when they’re walking is really freaky.


I never noticed it in Season 1, so I'm assuming that it's new framing. I can't imagine that I'd have missed it - so odd, disturbing and alien!

I loved the episode, Star Trek meets BSG meets Mass Effect, which totally works for me.
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

Well the destruction of Spock has begun, Skywalker syndrome I'll call it, they couldn't even wait one episode before Mary suiing up old mikey, even the SJW stuff that belongs in trek they can't even get right, series is off to a bad start.

   
Made in gb
Calm Celestian





England

I like Captain Pike. He seems the kind of enlightened military type I thought that Starfleet personnel were in the original series and early films.

Not sure about the Spock/Mike dynamic. In TOS if somebody was kicking off on an emotional level it seemed to be Spock. Until.i started researching the first series a couple of years ago, I didn't realise how 'unstable' he can come across compared to the rest of the crew. But the first season of Discovery didn't give me the impression that their sibling relationship was that difficult.

I enjoyed it but would like to see a bit.more about the rest of the other crew members - bridge, medical staff.

I do hope that the engineer they stumbled upon ends up joining discovery's crew. Thought she was a great character.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/19 08:40:39


 Nostromodamus wrote:
Please don’t necro to ask if there’s been any news.
 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






I assume she’s sticking around. She was too unique and randomly skilled to be a throw away.

 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

 Souleater wrote:
I like Captain Pike. He seems the kind of enlightened military type I thought that Starfleet personnel were in the original series and early films.

Not sure about the Spock/Mike dynamic. In TOS if somebody was kicking off on an emotional level it seemed to be Spock. Until.i started researching the first series a couple of years ago, I didn't realise how 'unstable' he can come across compared to the rest of the crew. But the first season of Discovery didn't give me the impression that their sibling relationship was that difficult.

I enjoyed it but would like to see a bit.more about the rest of the other crew members - bridge, medical staff.

I do hope that the engineer they stumbled upon ends up joining discovery's crew. Thought she was a great character.



Jet Reno her name was and her introduction was pathetically stupid, open heart surgery, sure im an engineer, brain surgery, sure im an engineer.... utterly stupid, that aside though she had a thing about her that instantly got my attention, maybe its because every other character in the show is so wooden it was nice to have someone who seemed so animated, either way I would like to see more of her too.

   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Legendary Master of the Chapter





UK

Very solid opener. Need to watch it again to catch all the exposition being thrown around, but the episode itself was nicely put together, plenty of action and tension without resorting to big firefights, some proper Treky science stuff and a good mystery being set up. Everything looked amazing as well.

Maybe it's just because of last season, but I'm already starting to wonder if...
Spoiler:

Pike isn't Pike... He was very quick to distract from the fact his DNA scan didn't seem to work by launching into his speech about his achievements and commendations, and ingratiated himself with the crew in an almost too-good-to-be-true way.

Maybe it's a double bluff and the writers are playing on the fact that the show has already pulled off 2 'this person is someone else entirely' twists with Lorca and Voq, but I'm not sure... definitely a bit suspicious though.


And yeah, Saru's arms got weird...

Paradigm's New Blog- 02/12: Reign of the Supermenl

Available for Commission Work. PM me for details. 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 Formosa wrote:

Jet Reno her name was and her introduction was pathetically stupid, open heart surgery, sure im an engineer, brain surgery, sure im an engineer.... utterly stupid, that aside though she had a thing about her that instantly got my attention, maybe its because every other character in the show is so wooden it was nice to have someone who seemed so animated, either way I would like to see more of her too.


I didn't watch but, looking at some reviews, this super engineer turned impromptu brain surgeon/intensivist couldn't figure out how to make the transporter work but Mary Burnham did within minutes after injury or somesuch. Apparently it's a good thing that the toxic white male of the season died earlier so he wasn't there to mess things up again. Is that actually the case?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/19 15:13:46


   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






I enjoyed that.

Decent action, plot went along at a decent clip.

I do hope we see the rest of the bridge crew get their time in the sun this season.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

 warboss wrote:
 Formosa wrote:

Jet Reno her name was and her introduction was pathetically stupid, open heart surgery, sure im an engineer, brain surgery, sure im an engineer.... utterly stupid, that aside though she had a thing about her that instantly got my attention, maybe its because every other character in the show is so wooden it was nice to have someone who seemed so animated, either way I would like to see more of her too.


I didn't watch but, looking at some reviews, this super engineer turned impromptu brain surgeon/intensivist couldn't figure out how to make the transporter work but Mary Burnham did within minutes after injury or somesuch. Apparently it's a good thing that the toxic white male of the season died earlier so he wasn't there to mess things up again. Is that actually the case?


Pretty much correct, not touching the toxic make comment though lol.

Thing is she is as bad if not worse than Wesley for the Deus ex crap, so it's not like trek hasn't done it before, I'm hoping she develops a character at some point in this series though, because at the moment she makes Rei look like a well thought out in depth character by comparison.


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Thanks. As for the last part, it was equal parts sarcasm/disgust with the hypocrisy of the show in case it wasn't obvious.

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut



Southampton, UK

I don't think it was a case of her not being able to make the transporter work, so much as not having anywhere to transport to. She'd need to know there was another ship nearby and that it wasn't klingon. She appeared to have no functional sensors or comms.

I definitely hope she stays. She was awesome. I really enjoyed this episode.
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

pgmason wrote:
I don't think it was a case of her not being able to make the transporter work, so much as not having anywhere to transport to.

That was my thought as well - Scotty hasn't invented long-range transporters or transporter stasis yet


pgmason wrote:
I definitely hope she stays. She was awesome. I really enjoyed this episode.

Wikipedia says she's a recurring character.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Formosa wrote:
Jet Reno her name was and her introduction was pathetically stupid, open heart surgery, sure im an engineer, brain surgery, sure im an engineer.... utterly stupid, that aside though she had a thing about her that instantly got my attention, maybe its because every other character in the show is so wooden it was nice to have someone who seemed so animated, either way I would like to see more of her too.

Well, we don't know how many of her patients died before they were rescued, or how many she made worse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/20 21:09:02


 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Back in the dark





Suffolk, where the Aliens roam.

I enjoyed it, good start to a new season.

"That's not an Ork, its a girl.." - Last words of High General Daran Ul'tharem, battle of Ursha VII.

Two White Horses (Ipswich Town and Denver Broncos Supporter)
 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

As soon as that male engineer opened his mouth in that pod, he pretty much sealed his own fate.

A good thing, too. He failed the first rule of starfleet.
Which isn't "Don't interfere" it's "DBAD".
(Kirk also never read that one).

I'm 50.
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






I was disappointed his shirt wasn’t the red one.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 AduroT wrote:
I was disappointed his shirt wasn’t the red one.


This just makes me want a Red Shirts TV series. Not Star Trek. The book Red Shirts XD

   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






 LordofHats wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
I was disappointed his shirt wasn’t the red one.


This just makes me want a Red Shirts TV series. Not Star Trek. The book Red Shirts XD


I want a Red Shirts web series. Just a series of short episodes finding new and entertaining ways to kill of no-name crew.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 AduroT wrote:
 LordofHats wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
I was disappointed his shirt wasn’t the red one.


This just makes me want a Red Shirts TV series. Not Star Trek. The book Red Shirts XD


I want a Red Shirts web series. Just a series of short episodes finding new and entertaining ways to kill of no-name crew.


Except for Ensign Jimmy. See, Jimmy's crafty. And paranoid. He's still alive because he questions everything but no one ever listens to Jimmy

   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

Redshirts did get optioned for a movie but the time period to do anything with it lapsed so it's all Scalzi's ball again.

@LoH: So Ensign Jimmy is part Zathras? Zathras always there, Zathras hears everything but nobody ever listen to Zathras. Zathras always alone, will probably die alone. It is a horrible life, and probably a horrible death.

I'm 50.
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 chromedog wrote:
Redshirts did get optioned for a movie but the time period to do anything with it lapsed so it's all Scalzi's ball again.

@LoH: So Ensign Jimmy is part Zathras? Zathras always there, Zathras hears everything but nobody ever listen to Zathras. Zathras always alone, will probably die alone. It is a horrible life, and probably a horrible death.


But, at least there is symmetry.

Cue Ivanova staring in shock.

The only way we can ever solve anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

I enjoyed it but would agree its going to get really tiresome having Michael being the best of the best at well....... everything and apparently the only one who can operate a tricorder etc etc.

Having some one be a better pilot or another come up with solutions was sorely needed.

Was Rebecca Romijn just so bad (or good/) they had to keep chopping her character out of scenes.....hoepfully she will appear properely in the enxt episode.

I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






They defo need to make use of the supporting cast.

Traditionally, Trek has spent the first season establishing their leads. So I've got high hopes for this season - spesh as Pike asked them all to sound off with their names.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: