Switch Theme:

Necromunda Underhive - Dark Uprising  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Alpharius wrote:
But how much would GW charge for ‘just’ the terrain here?
2/3rds the box price for 1/2 the terrain, no doubt.

If you want a table of this stuff (or enough to cover the default Zone Mortalis tiles from the last Necro box) you're going to need at least two sets of this stuff. I'd be surprised if you didn't need 3.

What to do with 30 of those weird cultists though?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 01:27:15


   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







Grind ‘me up, film it, post it in YouTube and...profit?

Cry?


Go crazy?
   
Made in au
Squishy Squig





terra

 Alpharius wrote:
But how much would GW charge for ‘just’ the terrain here?

I was thinking about picking this up, but not at this price.

I agree that GW seems to be testing the market here. And I don’t think they’ll like the results?

At least, I hope they don’t end up liking the results.


they don't do market research.

and kits like these always (well almost always) sell out on pre-order.

what this tells us is they'll most definitely enjoy the results. because it doesn't matter "who" buys in, as long as the product sells out.

those scalpers on certain sites don't give much thought into buying ltd stock. they know they'll get their asking price as well as GW asking price.
so everyone is a winner- except actual rational level headed gamers.

letz get lootin! 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sell out on Pre-Order?

This one is designed to be around for a bit longer. It has a rulebook in it.

   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Alpharius wrote:
But how much would GW charge for ‘just’ the terrain here?
2/3rds the box price for 1/2 the terrain, no doubt.

If you want a table of this stuff (or enough to cover the default Zone Mortalis tiles from the last Necro box) you're going to need at least two sets of this stuff. I'd be surprised if you didn't need 3.

What hto do with 30 of those weird cultists though?


You'll need 26 pillars and 47 single length wall sections to match the layout on the zone mortalis tiles.

It looks to me from the pictures and sprues that the box contains 12 pillars (6 sprues) and 12 wall lengths (2 double and 8 single on 4 sprues).

So you'll actually need to decide what to do with 60 weird cultists

This is the main reason I consider this set to be bad value. You need twice as many wall sections as pillars and what's in the box will barely cover 3 ZM tiles, less if you want to take advantage of the multi-level aspect.

Whether or not I buy any will depend on how they split it up. If you can buy a box 12 pillars and a separate box of 12 walls and another box for the stairs at a reasonable price (£30-40 max) then I may gradually attempt to build up a board. If it's packaged in one box at £110-120 then forget it.
   
Made in es
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey






 jeff white wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
phillv85 wrote:
Element usually do 20% if you pre-order it. I’m very much on the fence with this. That’s an expensive box!


It is stupidly expensive, and I already have a 3d printer that makes me walls.

Much in the same vein that I don't buy characters because I don't want to encourage GW to see those prices as rational, I won't buy this one either.

EDIT: I mean, hell, it might not be quite as nice, but...

Spoiler:


...well, that I have already.


How much does the plastic cost to print that pictured?


That much? Hm... maybe about a quarter of a spool? Less, I think. A 1kg spool costed me about 18 euros.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Sabotage! wrote:
Well, seeing the amount of sprues in this thing, I can see GW charging 290 USD for it. Though if they do charge that I feel that it's more along the lines of one of their "get everything from this new release bundles" they have on their online store which offer no savings as opposed to a proper starter set.

As cool as the models and terrain are, I doubt I'll get this to table very often and at 290 USD I'm giving this a solid pass. More money for Slaves to Darkness I guess.


So it's no discount for you based on feel rather than what they actually charge vs what they charge for each individually?

These boxes aren't generally intended to be big discount for people who don't need all. Those buy things separately.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/12/31/tneva82-december-moria/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






tneva82 wrote:
 Sabotage! wrote:
Well, seeing the amount of sprues in this thing, I can see GW charging 290 USD for it. Though if they do charge that I feel that it's more along the lines of one of their "get everything from this new release bundles" they have on their online store which offer no savings as opposed to a proper starter set.

As cool as the models and terrain are, I doubt I'll get this to table very often and at 290 USD I'm giving this a solid pass. More money for Slaves to Darkness I guess.


So it's no discount for you based on feel rather than what they actually charge vs what they charge for each individually?

These boxes aren't generally intended to be big discount for people who don't need all. Those buy things separately.


This box using previously supplied data from GW costs them around £30 to produce(I even rounded up) so I can safely so there is little to no savings to the customer.
This set exists to inflate the price of the zm terrain so when it is released it can be pointed out that despite being the most expensive terrain sets ever released there still cheaper than this set.

Your last point is especially laughable and comical, because not only the 7th ed Valkyrie shown dumber things (like being able to throw the troopers without parachutes out of its hatches, no harm done) - Irbis 
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

I’m wondering will it fit with the Forge world zone mortalis scenery? The plastic doors they produced for necromunda didnt fit so I’m imagining this won’t either. Would love it if it did. Would make a board look awesome

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Knockagh wrote:
I’m wondering will it fit with the Forge world zone mortalis scenery? The plastic doors they produced for necromunda didnt fit so I’m imagining this won’t either. Would love it if it did. Would make a board look awesome


The new plastic walls are more likely to fit with the current plastic doors than they are with the old resin walls.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

Always wanted an upper tier for my zm board. I’m assuming it’s going to take a lot of work to modify the new bits to fit

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





SeanDrake wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
 Sabotage! wrote:
Well, seeing the amount of sprues in this thing, I can see GW charging 290 USD for it. Though if they do charge that I feel that it's more along the lines of one of their "get everything from this new release bundles" they have on their online store which offer no savings as opposed to a proper starter set.

As cool as the models and terrain are, I doubt I'll get this to table very often and at 290 USD I'm giving this a solid pass. More money for Slaves to Darkness I guess.


So it's no discount for you based on feel rather than what they actually charge vs what they charge for each individually?

These boxes aren't generally intended to be big discount for people who don't need all. Those buy things separately.


This box using previously supplied data from GW costs them around £30 to produce(I even rounded up) so I can safely so there is little to no savings to the customer.
This set exists to inflate the price of the zm terrain so when it is released it can be pointed out that despite being the most expensive terrain sets ever released there still cheaper than this set.


Cost of production doesn't matter if it provides a saving for the customer. If the individual kits combined cost more to buy for a customer than the big box, its a saving

 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

But if the price is inflated in the first part, then the "saving" is artificial.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Knockagh wrote:
Always wanted an upper tier for my zm board. I’m assuming it’s going to take a lot of work to modify the new bits to fit


On the stream this past Thursday they stated the terrain was designed to work with existing ZM tiles (and sector mechanicus terrain).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 14:42:48


 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

Meat the Corpse Grinder Cultists

Article up!
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






So these guys do worship Khorne.
The article wasn't clear until the addendum at the end.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Executing Exarch





London, UK

Not just any Khorne worshippers, bunny eared worshippers of Khorne!

5000 Fir Farillecassion Eldar W/L/D 4th Ed Codex - 14/7/1 6th Ed Codex - 9/1/0 7th Ed Codex - 4/1/1 8th Ed Codex - 20/6/2
2000 Hive Fleet Zenith
Excavating eBay: My blog of eBay finds and the pile of shame!
Instagram, follow if you dare!
 
   
Made in vn
Longtime Dakkanaut




Article confirmed Corpse Grinder Cultists are indeed deserted workers from the Corpse Guild.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 15:32:36


 
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut





There are some breaking news previews of the rules:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/05/meat-the-corpse-grinder-cultistsgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-3/

The Corpse Grinder Cult Icon's Enrage action can give +D3" movement to all Readied and Active friendly fighters completely within 6" of the wielder. Roll separately for each one, or single roll applied to all?

Champions (Cutters) start with the Cutter's Mask, which gives the Terrifying special rule. Enemies must pass a Willpower check to target this fighter with a Fight (Basic) or Shoot (Basic) action, or their action ends immediately. Why was Shoot and Fight specified as Basic action here? To allow Blind Fire (Double action), Reaction Attacks (not an action), Fast Shot (2x Simple actions) and Rain of Blows (2x Simple action) without testing? What about psychic attacks? Headbutt? Hurl?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 17:00:49


 
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





tneva82 wrote:
 Sabotage! wrote:
Well, seeing the amount of sprues in this thing, I can see GW charging 290 USD for it. Though if they do charge that I feel that it's more along the lines of one of their "get everything from this new release bundles" they have on their online store which offer no savings as opposed to a proper starter set.

As cool as the models and terrain are, I doubt I'll get this to table very often and at 290 USD I'm giving this a solid pass. More money for Slaves to Darkness I guess.


So it's no discount for you based on feel rather than what they actually charge vs what they charge for each individually?

These boxes aren't generally intended to be big discount for people who don't need all. Those buy things separately.


Well yes, that's how I feel because it's all speculation at this point based on the leaked price list. I cannot "know" until I see the actual prices. I really am not sure how you can unless you have inside information.

And if you break the parts down by cost:
Let's start with the terrain, and let's say it's two kits worth (which based on the Warhammer TV preview and the display built with two kits, this appears to be less). Let's value one kit at 65 USD, the same price as the floor tiles. 130 USD.
Two "enhanced" gangs at 60 USD each equals 120 USD.
So for 40 USD you get a rulebook that is essentially worthless once you buy the actual Necromunda rulebook series, and in Necromunda fashion is likely missing lots stuff included in the actual core rules, some dice, a measuring device, and some cards?

Doesn't seem like any savings to me. The Warcry box has the same amount of content for 120 USD less.

But I don't know why I'm explaining this to you as you apparently know the prices of the contents.


 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




War cry has far far less scenery sprues Vs the new necromunda set people should stop comparing them
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





Obispudkenobi wrote:
War cry has far far less scenery sprues Vs the new necromunda set people should stop comparing them


Far less sprues? Yes, Warcry has half the terrain sprues, but coincidentally those sprues are much more efficient and you get as much terrain (if you look at the Starter promotion pictures for both the terrain density is pretty similar, though Warcry does have a larger play area). Warcry also has the full core rules, which this game does not. They are very comparable as they have similar contents and are both starter boxes. The difference is that one is 120 USD cheaper if the leaked price is to be believed.


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Agreed Sabotage!, the two are certainly comparable. And Warcry comes with more miniatures (29 vs. 26) and a solid board to play on (akin to N'17 starter), not some folded paper mat.

I'm not willing to pay an extra US$120 for 8 more sprues of new terrain, which does not appreciably populate one's playing surface with that much more terrain.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 21:23:48


Henry R. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Trafalgar Law wrote:
So you'll actually need to decide what to do with 60 weird cultists

To be fair, wouldn't even be that hard. Make regular 40K cultists out of small dudes, Night Lord/Khornate CC marines or Berzerkers out of big ones. You literally only need some pads, backpack and a bolt pistol per one, plus a handful of helmets for variety, bits any CSM player has in abundance. Even the bare arms are not that much of a problem due to lots of examples in canon, especially Kharn. They would also make nice Blackshields in HH, especially guys with cut down power armour trait.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
But if the price is inflated in the first part, then the "saving" is artificial.


Exactly. Most GW "discount" bundles are somewhat close to what the contents should cost to begin with, not a "savings." GW is pretty lucky to have so many customers with such a strong anchoring bias. This box looks great (though I don't know much about Newcromunda rules or if I would like them) but $290 is........... bad. If the cost to produce one of these "starters" was $30 USD, GW could sell them for $60-$80, still make a tidy profit, and acquire more customers.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




Well, pricing _that_ low could cause other problems, especially for a public company.

Even if the shareholders and etc. weren't the case, there is a minimum threshold for pricing, where if you go too low, it gives the impression that you don't value the product or the customers. For a start collecting box, I'd agree with the $60-80 as more reasonable, for a box like this? $60-80 would send the message that they know they're selling junk. Put it in somewhere double that range ($120-160), and it would look about right for a bundle that feels worthwhile.

I suspect $150 would have gotten people quite excited.
As we've seen, doubling again just reasonably makes people go

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/11/05 22:31:40


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Leutnant




Somerset uk

This box set would have launched me in to this system but god damn, I can’t warrant the out lay for this box. Wargaming isn’t my only hobby that needs paying for plus there’s the matter of real life and kids getting ready for Xmas.

It’s another pass from me gw. Shame really.
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Sabotage! wrote:

So for 40 USD you get a rulebook that is essentially worthless once you buy the actual Necromunda rulebook series, and in Necromunda fashion is likely missing lots stuff included in the actual core rules, some dice, a measuring device, and some cards?

Doesn't seem like any savings to me. The Warcry box has the same amount of content for 120 USD less.

But I don't know why I'm explaining this to you as you apparently know the prices of the contents.

The rulebook is most likely not useless. You are right it could be useless as a 'complete' collection or be a gross simplification. What could make it 'valuable' or at least interesting is any mutations to the rules, stealth FAQ hidden changes. Stuff you can't get in any other book. At least that's the way it's been with all 8 books so far. It's a cold day in he'll before they can change that tradition.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/05 23:18:11


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





The problem with this box is simply the way zone Mortalis terrain is made. For each section you need four sides and a roof. So to get the same amount of coverage as the Warcry terrain which was mainly single piece wall sections, you need 5 times as much terrain.
As for the ‘value’ of the set, the best deal I have seen with the other terrain sets is 7 sprues for £60.
So when they release the terrain individually, you will have to pay about £140 for the terrain in the box. £30 for each of the larger gangs and another £30 for the book and components.
So in GW’s eyes this set has a ‘value’ of £230 pounds.
That gives the box set a very similar degree of discount to the Adeptus titanicus grand master set.
I am quite sure that the considerable success of that box despite the price is what convinced gw that they could release this box at such a high price.
Another thing I have noticed is that specialist games boxed sets give about a 20% discount compared to individual prices, while the larger boxes from the main studio usually have a ‘discount’ closer to 40%.
The box set doesn’t do it for me but that’s mostly because the boxy zone mortalis terrain isn’t as interesting as the other series they do, rather than the price.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I've asked Andy if the rulebook in this new box makes the existing hardback one obsolete.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: