Switch Theme:

[Kings of War] Mantic Fantasy News & Rumors- Vanguard (Skirmish)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Belgium

 DaveC wrote:


Good to see a Snow Troll Prime even if it's just a new arm and head for the PVC mini. Mantic still can't do Bolt Throwers or at least their fantasy versions aren't well designed IMO.


You can see with the Troll regiment that the miniatures aren't that well designed to be put in close formation. Right arm is taking quite a lot of space on the right.

But that's Mantic Games : lots of individual ideas and lack of overall coherence.

I just noticed the bolt thrower is on skis. Must be nice once they're not on the snow !

They sure recycled a lot of their Vanguard miniatures, as expected. Their unit of half elven barbarians look funny for sure - it was predictable that they should have made at least two different poses at that time, but Mantic Games wanted to keep it as cheap as possible. It still shows a lot.

Oh well, as long as it's dirty cheap, fans will do something to make them look better, I'm sure.

Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






Preorders are up

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/kings-of-war.html

£74.99 for the starter is bit of a jump from the previous £50.

And 21st of October release puts it too close to Brexit to order anything from the UK.

   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

 Sarouan wrote:

I just noticed the bolt thrower is on skis. Must be nice once they're not on the snow !

See no problem here as it just need to be moveable on the spot.

You won't find real life Bolt Throwers using wheels, those have always been a static weapon

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





Albany, NY

DaveC wrote:a pity about the repeats on the Ice Kin.
QFT, I'm still shaking my head that they didn't have even 1 other sculpt created for those units. Because they did it for other Vanguard models that became units *points at NS troops like shadow hounds and stuff that got alternate sculpts for KOW*
Sarouan wrote:Awwww those snow foxes are so cute !
DaveC wrote:Tundra wolves
I mean even the foxes and wolves got 2 sculpts, plus a champ in the wolves' case! (Also I love the foxes and that there are two animal cav in the army )

BLOODFIRE: KOW SALAMANDER REPORTS 
   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

I am not sure if this is for real or just the picture

As the Naids also have 2 different pictures in different boxes, one being the same Vanguard model 10 times, the other a new unit with several poses




Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






 kodos wrote:
I am not sure if this is for real or just the picture

As the Naids also have 2 different pictures in different boxes, one being the same Vanguard model 10 times, the other a new unit with several poses



10 Hard Plastic Naiads
Resin Ice Naiad conversion set


Its a mix of the current HIPS Naiads with some resin parts. It looks like a mix of resin heads, arms, shields and a cover piece for the front of the torso.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
4th of November releases

Northern Alliance Clansmen Regiment £19.99
Northern Alliance Frostfang Regiment £39.99
Northern Alliance Ice Elemental Regiment £29.99
Northern Alliance Bolt Thrower £17.99
Northern Alliance Ice Blade (Hero) £9.99

2nd December

Basilean Phoenix £39.99
Goblin Slasher £29.99
Trident Realms Kraken £29.99




This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/08/09 14:38:37


 
   
Made in au
Fully-charged Electropriest




Australia

3rd edition KoW hardback is up for order, as well as a bunch of other stuff to go along with it. I am torn on what I should get, just the book or one of the combo's, but I can't really tell where the value is to be found for this ie what the best deal to go for.

Really excited for the new book though, as well as the inclusion of 'Titan' sized units! Finally I can use my Mierce Chimera for something!
   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

If you are not going to play one of the armies from the 2 player starter box, I think the third edition super bundle is the best value

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in au
Terrifying Doombull





Melbourne .au

I dunno about "best value". That's pretty subjective for a book and much of what simply amounts to a bunch of extra tat. If you want all of that sort of extra stuff, like dioramas, etc. If you're indifferent to that stuff, probably just the rulebook.

   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Belgium

It's really funny they're making collector editions, as if Mantic miniatures were seen as of high value on the second market. They should stop with their "Affordable wargaming" motto, because it's becoming less and less true IMHO.

Their price raise is real as well. Look at those Tundra wolves. On their fanatic facebook page, fans are already coming to defend their practices. Really make them look even closer to GW as years pass on.

Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Sarouan wrote:
It's really funny they're making collector editions, as if Mantic miniatures were seen as of high value on the second market. They should stop with their "Affordable wargaming" motto, because it's becoming less and less true IMHO.

Their price raise is real as well. Look at those Tundra wolves. On their fanatic facebook page, fans are already coming to defend their practices. Really make them look even closer to GW as years pass on.


I think your confusing collecting and scalping if you get the diorama for example then it's most likely because you like it and want it, I know GW has conditioned people to scalp as much as possible on starter sets but it's not like any of GW collectors stuff is not just tat with no re sale value.
I mean the mugs...sorry collectors editions of the codexs are terrible value even compared to the old ones never mind anything else and they still sell.

Basicly people buy this stuff because they want it not because of the value and that goes for most collectors editions of anything.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/08/11 10:25:19


Your last point is especially laughable and comical, because not only the 7th ed Valkyrie shown dumber things (like being able to throw the troopers without parachutes out of its hatches, no harm done) - Irbis 
   
Made in se
Regular Dakkanaut




 Sarouan wrote:
It's really funny they're making collector editions, as if Mantic miniatures were seen as of high value on the second market. They should stop with their "Affordable wargaming" motto, because it's becoming less and less true IMHO.


Collectors editions are more about squeezing out more money out of your hardcore fans(or whales if you will), then any second-market considerations.

 Sarouan wrote:
Their price raise is real as well. Look at those Tundra wolves. On their fanatic facebook page, fans are already coming to defend their practices. Really make them look even closer to GW as years pass on.


Consider that the wolves are decent-sized metal models when looking at the price. As far as I can tell their recent plastics seems to be inline with their other plastic kits.

But of course, if GW keeps raising prices that gives Mantic more room to raise prices as well

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/11 10:24:31


 
   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

 Sarouan wrote:
It's really funny they're making collector editions, as if Mantic miniatures were seen as of high value on the second market.

Since when was buying a collectors edition for a game a thing for the "value on the second hand market"?


Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in gb
Fighter Ace




England

The northern alliance stuff looks great, but a bit disappointed with the mega army, way too much pvc (and snow trolls)
The clansmen however are top notch. Can't wait to see the resin add on kits for them.
These guys will be my second mantic army for sure.

it's the quiet ones you have to look out for. Their the ones that change the world, the loud ones just take the credit for it. 
   
Made in au
Terrifying Doombull





Melbourne .au

SeanDrake wrote:

I think your confusing collecting and scalping if you get the diorama for example then it's most likely because you like it and want it, I know GW has conditioned people to scalp as much as possible on starter sets but it's not like any of GW collectors stuff is not just tat with no re sale value.
I mean the mugs...sorry collectors editions of the codexs are terrible value even compared to the old ones never mind anything else and they still sell.

Basicly people buy this stuff because they want it not because of the value and that goes for most collectors editions of anything.


Pretty much agreed here - whether it's Mantic, GW, or Activison or Ubisoft. If people want that extra stuff, than more power to them. I only question the above poster calling the Collector's edition bundle "best value" when collector's editions are rarely that on an objective level, since the extra tat is entirely subjective. And again - cool and dandy if you want those extras.

   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

of course it is best value of you consider any of the bundles

if one just wants the book, the book alone is the best option

if you have problems to decide which bundle to get it is a different story

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






Details of Vanguard rules changes in Ice and Iron

https://manticblog.com/2019/08/14/ice-iron-warband-updates/

Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls render from today's blog

   
Made in us
Shrieking Traitor Sentinel Pilot




Burbank, CA

Yay, more evil Dwarfs! Says they'll get a new force early next year. Sounds good to me!

, , , , , , ,

 
   
Made in jp
Incorporating Wet-Blending





Japan

So, will Ice and Iron have full warband lists, or just the limited lists from the rulebook?

Now showing more Mantic dwarfs, and also some hills!




Painting total as of 10/17/2019: 119 plus a wooden bridge and gnoll encampment and 36 pieces of Mantic scatter terrain and three fly holes and three farm buildings and a fire pit and two hills.


 
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

The evil Dwarf renders look pretty good, the shoulder connections look a bit funny but I do like the aesthetic.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
Made in se
Regular Dakkanaut




Those Abyssal Dwarfs Look so much better then the current ones, hopefully the they will keep updating the range.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I wonder if those Abyssal Dwarves will be a HIPS kit or resin.
   
Made in gb
Prospector with Steamdrill





It would have been nice for them to do the classic big hat look as GW seem to have abandoned it. To be honest, these could pass as an elite infantry unit for 'good' dwarfs. That said they do look nice, especially if they turn out to be HIPS.
   
Made in us
Mighty Kroxigor Ancient





California the Southern

I want more Arkosaurs like that necromancer. More in- line with how I like my reptiles than the Salamanders.

Also look forward to seeing what other sculpts end up in the Abyssal Dwarf range.

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in us
Shrieking Traitor Sentinel Pilot




Burbank, CA

Taaloc wrote:It would have been nice for them to do the classic big hat look as GW seem to have abandoned it.


highlord tamburlaine wrote: Also look forward to seeing what other sculpts end up in the Abyssal Dwarf range.



Yeah, they could really lean into that classic (though not quite rogue trader) GW Big hat Chaos Dwarf look. I think with the lore stating that Hashut got killed by GorkaMorka (correct me if I'm wrong)? And the Fyreslayers pretty much capitalizing on the whole 'Fire/Lava, Bull-like Dragons aesthetic , I doubt GW will continue down that route with them. In fact, IIRC they were eluded to being somewhere (on an island) in the middle of the ocean in the realm of Metal?
Guess they're going to go down this route a bit more...
Spoiler:


I would love it if Mantic really leaned into it though, as it's definitely one of the reasons the Chaos Dwarfs gathered a following, was that it was so different looking than the typical Chaos stuff (there's an oxymoron for you and a band name <Typical Chaos> )

I definitely want more Bulls, Lamassu, fire magic , and Blunderbuss' .

, , , , , , ,

 
   
Made in ca
Grumpy Longbeard





Canada

 skullking wrote:
Taaloc wrote:It would have been nice for them to do the classic big hat look as GW seem to have abandoned it.


highlord tamburlaine wrote: Also look forward to seeing what other sculpts end up in the Abyssal Dwarf range.



Yeah, they could really lean into that classic (though not quite rogue trader) GW Big hat Chaos Dwarf look. I think with the lore stating that Hashut got killed by GorkaMorka (correct me if I'm wrong)? And the Fyreslayers pretty much capitalizing on the whole 'Fire/Lava, Bull-like Dragons aesthetic , I doubt GW will continue down that route with them. In fact, IIRC they were eluded to being somewhere (on an island) in the middle of the ocean in the realm of Metal?
Guess they're going to go down this route a bit more...
Spoiler:


I would love it if Mantic really leaned into it though, as it's definitely one of the reasons the Chaos Dwarfs gathered a following, was that it was so different looking than the typical Chaos stuff (there's an oxymoron for you and a band name <Typical Chaos> )

I definitely want more Bulls, Lamassu, fire magic , and Blunderbuss' .

I disagree.
I think Mantic should make it their own.


Resurrectionists
Nightstalkers
Dwarfs  
   
Made in de
Fresh-Faced New User




According to Matt Gilbert on Facebook: "WIP. Hard plastic. Arriving 2020." I assume that they will be relased at around the same time or shortly after the release of the AD warband for Vanguard in "early 2020", which hopefully contains a sprue of those.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/17 13:56:16


 
   
Made in de
Battlefield Tourist






Nuremberg

Those Ice Naiads look a lot better than the default Trident Realms ones. It is a shame they didn't design them more in the style of the Naiad demon hunter from Dungeon Saga, she is a really cool mini.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Chaos dwarfs are great, hats should be bigger tho. If it's not the size of their body , is it even a hat?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ellicott City, MD

ArtIsGreat wrote:
Chaos dwarfs are great, hats should be bigger tho. If it's not the size of their body , is it even a hat?


Spoiler:


Nice hat!

Valete,

JohnS

Valete,

JohnS

"You don't believe data - you test data. If I could put my finger on the moment we genuinely <expletive deleted> ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around"

-Jamie Sanderson 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: