Switch Theme:

Codex Tyranids Tactica: The Shadow Falls, The Hive Fleets Gather. Worlds Devoured  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Clousseau





East Bay, Ca, US

They are lower toughness than leman russ unless they're being buffed to t8?

 Galas wrote:
I remember when Marmatag was a nooby, all shiney and full of joy. How playing the unbalanced mess of Warhammer40k in a ultra-competitive meta has changed you

Bharring wrote:
He'll actually *change his mind* in the presence of sufficient/sufficiently defended information. Heretic.
 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






The thodrnback fex isnt anti vehicle loadout. Its anti infantry.

High volume of shot and if you get into melee with it there is a chance for mortal wounds at the end of the fighting. Infantry dont want to leave it shooting but they also dont want to pile in and try to bog it down in melee either.



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in no
Powerful Ushbati





Bergen

 Lance845 wrote:
The thodrnback fex isnt anti vehicle loadout. Its anti infantry.

High volume of shot and if you get into melee with it there is a chance for mortal wounds at the end of the fighting. Infantry dont want to leave it shooting but they also dont want to pile in and try to bog it down in melee either.



What? Is it not 4+ for each enemy unit near 1" takes 1 mortal wound? Would this not be better vs high T models and not units?

And what is it, just this rule, that makes it different then a carnifex? Can you take any loadout you wan't to? I really have no understanding for this.

Do anybody have a more informative leak on this?

This was what I found:

'Thornbacks are base 70.

at the end of combat roll d6 for each enemy unit in combat with it. on 6 deal 1 mortal wound
Starts with 2 devourers with brainleech worm
It can swap the devourers with deathspitters with maggots

And a pair of monstrous scything talons
It can swap the claws with a stranglethorn only.

And a chitin biomorph'

A regukar carnifex start at 68 points? So for 2 more points you get the explotion abilaty and you loose some options?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/30 21:44:22


I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






Spoletta wrote:
That's why i'm planning on multicharging on a wide line. Doesn't matter though, those little bastards are not there to inflict wounds.

It's the hype on the dakkafexes which i don't undestand completely. This is not 7th where spamming high volume of fire mid strenght shots was the verb. Here 24 bs3+ S6 shots inflict less than 2 wounds on a razorback. For a short range weapon it doesn't sound so good. Sure, it does a number on hordes, but don't expect it to work on vehicles. You will need exocrines, hive guards and Tfexes for that.

They fit really well in combined nids lists though, since they combine being a menace and being a bad target (same thoughness of a Leman Russ and similar cost per wound, but they also sport a -1 to hit and no degradation. Requires a focus fire from 8 stationary assbacks to go down).


You're 100% correct. The big appeal of the dakkafex is that it puts out a lot of wounds for the cost vs basically every target except vehicles. Dakkagants are still more cost efficient against basically every target, but the logistics of getting the # of dakkagants you need to do the same job where you need them, and all the other intangibles such as LoS, positioning, etc, make that less viable, IMO.

In a vacuum, we would theoretically play with nothing but Neurothropes, Hormagaunts and Termagants, as they're our most effective forms of smite, tarpit and damage.

I suppose such a list would do a number on the meta with the complete lack of AT targets, as well. With all of the deployment options that may be coming, it actually might not be a bad list design. A few lictor/ravener units to deliver dakkagant units where you need them. Smite to handle the more durable units. Something to think about.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

Something else that might make a comeback is the "gunfex" ie;running cannons on Carnifexen. So instead of 4x Devorers yo take 2x Devourers, and a Venom, or Strangle. It rapidly went out of style, replaced with the beloved Dakkafex. But maybe it can make a comeback!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Personally...I will be trying to make lists that use Screamer Killers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/30 21:54:12


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Are we sure the MC Devourer is 6 attacks, and not 6 attacks for TL? Is the MC Deathspitter S8/AP-2? If so, even at half the attacks it's probably better than they Devourer.
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.
   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut




Deathspitter is 24" range, that's the only change.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Marmatag wrote:
They are lower toughness than leman russ unless they're being buffed to t8?


I totally thought they were T7, guess i got confused with the predators.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/30 21:59:11


 
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






Spoletta wrote:
Deathspitter is 24" range, that's the only change.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Marmatag wrote:
They are lower toughness than leman russ unless they're being buffed to t8?


I totally thought they were T7, guess i got confused with the predators.


Good catch.

Big deal for Warriors, who have access to a halfway decent Venom cannon now.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Tyrannofexes seem like the big winners to me.
Best anti tank shooting in the book.
   
Made in no
Powerful Ushbati





Bergen

 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Did they change it to heavy? The old is assault, both of them are.

Warrior deathspitter is range 24 (and raveners also) but did it not drop in cost? That is a huge change.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/10/30 23:49:59


I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Earlier in the thread you said they get +1S/-1AP. Did you mean relative to MC Devourers?
   
Made in ie
Missionary On A Mission





 dan2026 wrote:
Tyrannofexes seem like the big winners to me.
Best anti tank shooting in the book.


Them actually being worth taking for the first time ever feels so wrong.

   
Made in us
Clousseau





East Bay, Ca, US

 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Yeah if the venomspitter was 12 shots at 8, -2 it would be so freaking good.

 Galas wrote:
I remember when Marmatag was a nooby, all shiney and full of joy. How playing the unbalanced mess of Warhammer40k in a ultra-competitive meta has changed you

Bharring wrote:
He'll actually *change his mind* in the presence of sufficient/sufficiently defended information. Heretic.
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





looks like there was a problem w/ the initially reported hive fleet: leviathan trait. correction from lordhikaru:

"Got occupied yesterday. Any more stuff you all want ?

Found an obvious error on someone's leak. No wonder nobody talked about Leviathan.

Leviathan is a 6+++ fnp 6inch bubble from a friendly synapse unit from same hive fleet. Ignore this if unit affected by Catalyst.

Read more: http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/53797/codex-rules-preview-updated-summary?page=62#ixzz4x335MGWY"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/31 02:26:33


 
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

So is a straight out worse Ultwhe trait?

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





apparently lol.
   
Made in us
Clousseau





East Bay, Ca, US

Yeah, straight up worse, but 6+ FNP across the entire army would be pretty sick.

 Galas wrote:
I remember when Marmatag was a nooby, all shiney and full of joy. How playing the unbalanced mess of Warhammer40k in a ultra-competitive meta has changed you

Bharring wrote:
He'll actually *change his mind* in the presence of sufficient/sufficiently defended information. Heretic.
 
   
Made in us
Storm Trooper with Maglight





https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/30/tyranid-codex-preview-synapse-instinctive-behaviour-and-the-shadow-in-the-warp-oct-30gw-homepage-post-2/

Feed the poor war gamer with money.  
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






 NenkotaMoon wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/30/tyranid-codex-preview-synapse-instinctive-behaviour-and-the-shadow-in-the-warp-oct-30gw-homepage-post-2/


Yup. Already i. The op since this morning when i woke up.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Leviathan 6+++ isnt worth it imo..... UNLESS it can stack, the Eldar one didnt stack tho.

15k+ 12k+ 5k :Harlequin: 4k

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






 Niiai wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Did they change it to heavy? The old is assault, both of them are.

Warrior deathspitter is range 24 (and raveners also) but did it not drop in cost? That is a huge change.


Not heavy as in weapon type, heavy as in name. There is the venom cannon which warriors carry, and the heavy venom cannon which MCs carry.

xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Earlier in the thread you said they get +1S/-1AP. Did you mean relative to MC Devourers?


Yes, I was saying relative to MC Devourers. All of the leaked info is in the OP.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Marmatag wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
xmbk wrote:
 Traceoftoxin wrote:
We're not sure of anything until we have the codex in our hands, but the second leaker checked and confirmed that the deathspitter is unchanged and the devourer is 6 shots per gun, with 4 guns per MC.


12 8/-2 is still superior to 24 S6/0.


Nothing has pointed to deathspitter being that? The Venom cannon is D3 S8 Ap-2 2D and S9 Ap-2 3D for normal and heavy, respectively


Yeah if the venomspitter was 12 shots at 8, -2 it would be so freaking good.


Would be the best by a long shot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/31 05:55:00


 
   
Made in fi
Jervis Johnson






How on earth would anyone compare something to the Razorback.

Nobody in this entire edition used a Razorback that was not getting full re-rolls to hit and to wound from Guilliman. I thought even the most raging casual players knew that basically everything Space Marine sucks ass compared to everything else, unless it's being buffed by Guilliman. The whole point is that Hurricane Bolters on Stormravens, that wound even T7 on a 5+, and Asscans that wound everything at least on a 5+ but mostly better, are good because of the re-roll to wound. Without that, they're garbage. Hurricanes will go out of fashion just because of Astra T8 spam lists.

To me the Dakkafex has the advantage of being able to move without penalty, but that's where it ends.

Where I play every tournament has a 3 max rule to prevent spamming, but I wouldn't really mind even if I saw 9 of those. It's a full tier below the Guilliman's parking lot play style.


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/10/31 08:45:41


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Fex's can still be taken 3 per 1 Heavy slot at least, if you wanted to spam them 1 heavy detachment could take 2 units of 3 of each Codex Types for a total of 18 fex's

Can forgo 1 unit to gain 1 unit of Stone Crushers for dedicated AT as well and your OOE as HQ.

a total of 19fex, that will be 2k points tho lol, most likely really close to 2k, give or take 50-75pts.

I really like the Stone Crushers for melee AT, S12, re-roll hits and wounds against vehicles anda 4+ to do D3 mortal wounds on the charge (keep the Thresher Scythe b.c you dont have to attack with it, the Bone mace is worst than your normal attacks and you must use it, total not worth it).

Not saying this is good, just showing you can do almost w/e you want for Fex's.

15k+ 12k+ 5k :Harlequin: 4k

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Amishprn86 wrote:
Fex's can still be taken 3 per 1 Heavy slot at least, if you wanted to spam them 1 heavy detachment could take 2 units of 3 of each Codex Types for a total of 18 fex's

Can forgo 1 unit to gain 1 unit of Stone Crushers for dedicated AT as well and your OOE as HQ.

a total of 19fex, that will be 2k points tho lol, most likely really close to 2k, give or take 50-75pts.

I really like the Stone Crushers for melee AT, S12, re-roll hits and wounds against vehicles anda 4+ to do D3 mortal wounds on the charge (keep the Thresher Scythe b.c you dont have to attack with it, the Bone mace is worst than your normal attacks and you must use it, total not worth it).

Not saying this is good, just showing you can do almost w/e you want for Fex's.


Regular scythe fexes might have become better in AT compared to the stonecrusher. On charge they hit on 3+, rerolling ones and with 1 cp reroll wounds. We have to look at the monstrous acid maws too, that AP5 is nice.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Spoletta wrote:
 Amishprn86 wrote:
Fex's can still be taken 3 per 1 Heavy slot at least, if you wanted to spam them 1 heavy detachment could take 2 units of 3 of each Codex Types for a total of 18 fex's

Can forgo 1 unit to gain 1 unit of Stone Crushers for dedicated AT as well and your OOE as HQ.

a total of 19fex, that will be 2k points tho lol, most likely really close to 2k, give or take 50-75pts.

I really like the Stone Crushers for melee AT, S12, re-roll hits and wounds against vehicles anda 4+ to do D3 mortal wounds on the charge (keep the Thresher Scythe b.c you dont have to attack with it, the Bone mace is worst than your normal attacks and you must use it, total not worth it).

Not saying this is good, just showing you can do almost w/e you want for Fex's.


Regular scythe fexes might have become better in AT compared to the stonecrusher. On charge they hit on 3+, rerolling ones and with 1 cp reroll wounds. We have to look at the monstrous acid maws too, that AP5 is nice.


No, they actually do the same wounds 7.5 (really its like 7.46/7.56 or something) to a Rhino, BUT thats without the Stone 4+ to do D3 MW's (compare to 1) and without Re-rolls on the D6 damage, on average without the CP re-roll with 3 rounds on charging (you take fleet to fallback and charge lets say) the Stonefex will do more over all.


EDIT: Is the MST fex S6? or S7? I did the math wounding on 4+ for MST-fex. If its S6 then its only 4wounds and MUCH worst than the SoneFex

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2017/10/31 09:46:13


15k+ 12k+ 5k :Harlequin: 4k

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in fr
Dakka Veteran





The Carnifex has S6.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






LOL then its nothing compare to the StoneFex

15k+ 12k+ 5k :Harlequin: 4k

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: