Switch Theme:

Kill Team 2021 news & rumours  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

 kirotheavenger wrote:

It'll be quite annoying if this White Dwarf does contain proper Admech rules.
Firstly, why aren't those rules in the compendium to start with?
Secondly, why did they sell Admech players a compendium only to pull that practically day 1?


To get people to buy both the compendium and the White Dwarf, duh. Same reason why rules for AdMech in 40k were split across three books day one.

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in us
Shas'ui with Bonding Knife






So they're telling us the spanking new Compendium is already gettting outdated?

Quite a [ridiculous attempt to evade the language filter] even from them

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/09/01 05:03:03


 
   
Made in gb
Ship's Officer





Bristol (UK)

I wonder if GW predicted how disappointing the compendium would be.
The NDA on sharing the compendium ended on pre-order day, whereas the Octarius box ended a lot sooner.
   
Made in us
Shas'ui with Bonding Knife






Can a person excercise their 14 day return policy and ask for a refund from GW? Should be possible, at least in the EU..

I got no horse in this race since I didn't buy the Compendium, but other people might want to return theirs.. Especially AdMech players - they could easily afford the WD issue with that money and would even have money left for some comfort alcohol


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/31 13:58:31


 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

 kirotheavenger wrote:
I wonder if GW predicted how disappointing the compendium would be.
The NDA on sharing the compendium ended on pre-order day, whereas the Octarius box ended a lot sooner.

Or it could have been, y'know, because the Octarius box actually had models present.


But I guess the conspiracies are more fun, eh?
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

 kirotheavenger wrote:
I wonder if GW predicted how disappointing the compendium would be.


I suspect they made it bad and dissapointing on purpose, so people would buy the rules for their faction separately later. I mean, if the compendium had good rules, would there be incentive to buy the new, separate rules for factions in the future?

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

 tauist wrote:
So they're telling us the spanking new Compendium is already gettting outdated?

Quite a move, even from them


First of all, don't try to circumvent the filter.
Second of all, we knew from the outset that this kind of thing would be happening. They outright made mention of specialized Kill Teams like the Veteran and Kommandos being a thing in addition to the Compendium lists.

And no. I'm not digging a reference up.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Remember when they tossed a booklet with all the interim warhammer army lists into a white dwarf when they changed editions from 5 to 6 because they knew they will be quickly replaced by army books?
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Cronch wrote:
Remember when they tossed a booklet with all the interim warhammer army lists into a white dwarf when they changed editions from 5 to 6 because they knew they will be quickly replaced by army books?


You mean Ravening Hordes? It's remembered pretty fondly from what I can see to be honest. That 'quickly replaced by army books' wasn't entirely the case either (some didn't get replaced until 7th Edition).
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Good to see the first DLC for Kill-Team is already upon us.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Sneaky Lictor





London

 Kanluwen wrote:
 tauist wrote:
So they're telling us the spanking new Compendium is already gettting outdated?

Quite a move, even from them


First of all, don't try to circumvent the filter.
Second of all, we knew from the outset that this kind of thing would be happening. They outright made mention of specialized Kill Teams like the Veteran and Kommandos being a thing in addition to the Compendium lists.

And no. I'm not digging a reference up.


Specialised as in with new model releases, we didn't know there would be WD reworks of the existing compendium factions using existing models before this.

Not that it is much of a surprise. I expect a panic rework of Genestealer Cults and Space Marines in the next few months. Maybe Eldar too.
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

They never said that it would be just "with new model releases" though.

They said there WOULD be new model releases tied to Kill Team. They said there WOULD be more boxes akin to Octarius for other warzones.

Something that I've harped upon since the rumored Sisters vs Pathfinders box(which I'm still maintaining is likely to be the "core" box for KT) was mentioned is that it's incredibly likely we will see a "Kill Team Specialists" sprue made available for existing factions.

The DKoK have a third sprue which is strictly the specialist bits(the club arm, the decorated veteran/stalwart, the zealot, flare gun signals officer, demo guy, and the guy holding the syringe with the pseudo-apothecary 'gauntlet') on it. A frame like that for other factions would be an easy way to make kits that might seem less than relevant suddenly super interesting...and it would allow for them to package/sell a "bundle".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 15:06:51


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





We all knew the compendium was going to be a giant rip-off. And the function of the NDA was, certainly, partially designed to gag reviewers from presenting that fact to potential consumers.

If people knew just how quick the compendium would be rendered obsolete, they would have been more likely to find the rules online, instead of impulsively purchasing the "boxed deal" that had already cynically and calculatedly broken out the compendium into a separate purchase instead of just being included in the KT core rules from the get-go. I am so very amused by those who pretend to be wilfully blind to the obviousness of that fact.

Still, the new KT is a great ruleset. I really enjoy the mechanics regarding conceal orders, cover and line of sight. We've fully switched off 40k for it and while it sucks to not bring out any of the elite units we have, the better balance and simply better game system makes it an easy change.


Here's hoping the inevitable elite and commanders expansions to KT allow us to use those great units without completely destroying what is right now a great game.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Gregor Samsa wrote:
Still, the new KT is a great ruleset. I really enjoy the mechanics regarding conceal orders, cover and line of sight. We've fully switched off 40k for it and while it sucks to not bring out any of the elite units we have, the better balance and simply better game system makes it an easy change.


Here's hoping the inevitable elite and commanders expansions to KT allow us to use those great units without completely destroying what is right now a great game.


How do you feel about any strategem-like rules in Kill Team compared to what's currently in 40k? That's one of the low points of modern GW game design to me and I wouldn't mind a game that's free of that burden. Or at least less impacted, I guess.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in nl
Deadshot Weapon Moderati






 Geifer wrote:
 Gregor Samsa wrote:
Still, the new KT is a great ruleset. I really enjoy the mechanics regarding conceal orders, cover and line of sight. We've fully switched off 40k for it and while it sucks to not bring out any of the elite units we have, the better balance and simply better game system makes it an easy change.


Here's hoping the inevitable elite and commanders expansions to KT allow us to use those great units without completely destroying what is right now a great game.


How do you feel about any strategem-like rules in Kill Team compared to what's currently in 40k? That's one of the low points of modern GW game design to me and I wouldn't mind a game that's free of that burden. Or at least less impacted, I guess.


They are still there, but each faction only has a handful, so you don't have to remember many. In fact, a lot of them are only for 1 specific fire team, so lets say you are playing necron warriors + necron immortals, you can ignore the ones for deathmarks and flayed ones. They can be very impactful though so they are certainly a key part of the game in terms of strategy.
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

Why do people insist on having to "remember" stratagems?

There's cards. There's the book. It's not like you need to shout out the stratagem you're going to use.
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 Kanluwen wrote:
Why do people insist on having to "remember" stratagems?

There's cards. There's the book. It's not like you need to shout out the stratagem you're going to use.

Usually? To be able to make informed decisions.

Same as with all the other rules, I guess.

I mean, by "remember" I assume people mean "...so that I can know what me and the opponent can do", not "...so I can use them". For that you're absolutely right, the rules are in the books and in the cards.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 16:17:42


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





I think the AA mechanics of KT do a lot to blunt the edge of strategems tipping a match. They definitely are powerful, but KT plays much more chess-like than 40k and so there are more opportunities to manoeuvre you're way out of a "checkmate", or it at least takes more errors to be drawn into an inescapable trap.

Plus the games are faster, so if things do go awry there is time to get another game in (usually).

We are already experimenting with how to scale the game's size up. For whatever reason our gaming group is always odd numbers and so we usually like to run games with everyone involved rather than taking turns or splitting games into two 1v1.

Next plan is to allow each player to run all the kill teams allowed by their faction on a larger board (combat patrol sized). We will have weapon ranges being maxed at the size of one KT board (unless specified as being shorter like some weapons are).

Looking forward to seeing how that works out. I am hopeful that this game system is not abandoned in a few months as I can envision a "combat patrol" type box for each faction being the perfect balance for the game. Allowing some heavier hitting / characters into the game without it becoming completely broken. At that size and with the KT activation system and other rules, I think campaigns porting some of the crusade rules over will really shine!

We are already discussing how to design some house rules for units we feel would fit great in this "scale" of battle: dreadnoughts, battlesuits etc..

I hope we get a redesign of warcry inline with these changes as well. Great skirmish system!
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

 Albertorius wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
Why do people insist on having to "remember" stratagems?

There's cards. There's the book. It's not like you need to shout out the stratagem you're going to use.

Usually? To be able to make informed decisions.

Same as with all the other rules, I guess.

I mean, by "remember" I assume people mean "...so that I can know what me and the opponent can do", not "...so I can use them". For that you're absolutely right, the rules are in the books and in the cards.

And to the first part I still say....the rules are in the books and in the cards.

For all the griping people make about "needing to buy the books to know what the armies can do with stratagems" or crap like that? It's all right there in the datacard set.
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Dunno... if it's anything at all as it was with Warmahordes, where all the rules were also on the cards... you absolutely needed to know your rules and your opponent's to be able to play effectively. Too many variables to do anything else.

But Warmahordes put me off for how much like a LCG was in combos and such.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/31 16:30:08


 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

Then you learn by playing...?

This isn't hard. You don't NEED to know every single wombo-combo that someone can play before ever setting models on the board.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 M0ff3l wrote:
They are still there, but each faction only has a handful, so you don't have to remember many. In fact, a lot of them are only for 1 specific fire team, so lets say you are playing necron warriors + necron immortals, you can ignore the ones for deathmarks and flayed ones. They can be very impactful though so they are certainly a key part of the game in terms of strategy.


 Gregor Samsa wrote:
I think the AA mechanics of KT do a lot to blunt the edge of strategems tipping a match. They definitely are powerful, but KT plays much more chess-like than 40k and so there are more opportunities to manoeuvre you're way out of a "checkmate", or it at least takes more errors to be drawn into an inescapable trap.

Plus the games are faster, so if things do go awry there is time to get another game in (usually).


Thanks for the input, guys!

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in nl
Deadshot Weapon Moderati






 Kanluwen wrote:
Then you learn by playing...?

This isn't hard. You don't NEED to know every single wombo-combo that someone can play before ever setting models on the board.


To be honest, looking at some of the newer codices in 40k, the walls of stratagems are a chore. I don't want to pause the game at every point to go through my list of stratagems to see if any of them are useful right now, so in that sense I would have to remember them so I know which ones I can use at any given time. If I want to play optimally, I might also want to know this about my opponent, so I don't commit resources to something that they can protect through a strategem or something like that.

In KT there are not that many, so having a look at the start of the game is usually enough to remember what each party can do. Can't say the same about 40k tbh, so that is why I said, there are less to remember.

Also you referenced the cards earlier, but AFAIK KT does not have stratagem cards yet.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 16:50:34


 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 Kanluwen wrote:
Then you learn by playing...?

This isn't hard. You don't NEED to know every single wombo-combo that someone can play before ever setting models on the board.


Have you played Warmahordes? Because it was quite hard, and yes, you actually needed to know all the "wombo-combos" to actually know how to fething play. Not for "before ever setting models on the borad", but to be able to make informed decisions on the board.

It's a set of rules that really put me off fast, but it can perfectly be a thing of presentation, and of actually having all he rules in the actual book, because as rules heavy as Infinity is, I never felt the same way with it as I felt with Warmahordes, where I needed to track down all the rules piecemeal.

Is it the same for the current 40k/KT?
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

Not by any real stretch of the imagination, provided y'know...you're actively playing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 17:00:17


 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







So probably a Krieg style fixed roster team for the AdMech, and that probably means AdMech aren't getting a bespoke Kill Team kit.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in nl
Deadshot Weapon Moderati






 lord_blackfang wrote:
So probably a Krieg style fixed roster team for the AdMech, and that probably means AdMech aren't getting a bespoke Kill Team kit.


Could also be compendium style rules for units that have not gotten rules yet.
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 Kanluwen wrote:
Not by any real stretch of the imagination, provided y'know...you're actively playing.


That... seems like a non-sequitur. You are also actively playing in Warmahordes, you know.

But from other responses, it seems like, at least for the moment, the "stratagems" for KT are manageable enough.
   
Made in us
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard





I actually like the strategic/tactical split. The really big all-Team ones you have to decide about using before either you or your opponent moves and you have to balance them against having CP left to maybe get an emergency re-roll later.
You get some of the same effect in 40K but a) there are way more CP floating about and b) lots of ways to generate more. Plus a lot of the time you know where the opponent will be at all times during your turn.

"Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
— Vala Mal Doran
 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





Aeneades wrote:
Next White Dwarf will have 16 pages of new Ad Mech rules for Kill Team. This is in addition to a 6 page guide to Ad Mech kill teams, short story, battle report and 4 page discussion with a KT designer.


Well back Rogue Trader era, I missed having my army drastically change month to month. But seriously, it will probably get me to buy White Dwarfs since there’s actually things I care about in them.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: