Switch Theme:

Imperial Knights - Codex Preview Video 03/03 - Gasp! Probably worth watching!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard




Catskills in NYS

 Perturabo's Chosen wrote:
um, 5 minutes ago was a picture all all the knight models GW released back in Titan Legions, and now they're gone. Why?

I got them all here if you want them.
But I think this is all that is needed

Homosexuality is the #1 cause of gay marriage.
 kronk wrote:
Every pizza is a personal sized pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.
 sebster wrote:
Yes, indeed. What a terrible piece of cultural imperialism it is for me to say that a country shouldn't murder its own citizens
 BaronIveagh wrote:
Basically they went from a carrot and stick to a smaller carrot and flanged mace.
 
   
Made in us
Lord Commander in a Plush Chair





Seneca Nation of Indians

Well, it's nice to see knights back...

At the rate things are going, it's only a matter of time....

my dear Squats.


This sig was deemed too political for Dakka.
Meanwhile, Cato Sicarius is appearing on Alex Jones.
 
   
Made in us
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!






This was a rumor thread about knights coming. They came. Rumor over. Turned into a strange gathering of moaners, groaners, doom sayers, paniky petes, and speculators. IMHO. Mod, when ya' closin' this (dead) thread down?

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for my opinions, nor plagerism, errors, facts, rumors, links, no links, or changing &/or omissions in my blog entries; nor for the availability of this informations origins, original author, truth, link, or vouch for it's factual reliabilty. So please don't fight with my opinions, nor badger me, nor troll my entries, and just stay on topic! 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

 bu11etmagn3tt wrote:
This was a rumor thread about knights coming. They came. Rumor over. Turned into a strange gathering of moaners, groaners, doom sayers, paniky petes, and speculators. IMHO. Mod, when ya' closin' this (dead) thread down?


I considered, as the OP, requesting the same.

Then I realised we haven't seen all the releases yet, so if this thread was closed, another would become necessary in a few days.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in au
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





Ipswich, Australia

 bu11etmagn3tt wrote:
Turned into a strange gathering of moaners, groaners, doom sayers, paniky petes, and speculators. IMHO.


Don't forget the Tourette's Syndrome sufferers!


"All GW will gain is my increased contempt for their business practices." - AesSedai
"Its terrible the way that conversion kit is causing him to buy 2 GW kits... " - Mad4Minis
"GW are hard to parody, as they are sometimes so stupid that the best in comedy couldn't beat them at their own game..." - Paradigm


 
   
Made in ca
Angry Blood Angel Assault marine





 Co'tor Shas wrote:
 Perturabo's Chosen wrote:
um, 5 minutes ago was a picture all all the knight models GW released back in Titan Legions, and now they're gone. Why?

I got them all here if you want them.
But I think this is all that is needed



THIS is exactly what the future of 40K will look like, 1 player brings their funky ork army while his opponent brings 2 x 3 imperial knight detachment.
   
Made in au
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





Ipswich, Australia

Almost forgot - for the Aussies out there, Mil Sims reckons they'll have the Knights for AU$125 +$7.50 postage anywhere in mainland Oz.


"All GW will gain is my increased contempt for their business practices." - AesSedai
"Its terrible the way that conversion kit is causing him to buy 2 GW kits... " - Mad4Minis
"GW are hard to parody, as they are sometimes so stupid that the best in comedy couldn't beat them at their own game..." - Paradigm


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

wufai wrote:
 Co'tor Shas wrote:
 Perturabo's Chosen wrote:
um, 5 minutes ago was a picture all all the knight models GW released back in Titan Legions, and now they're gone. Why?

I got them all here if you want them.
But I think this is all that is needed



THIS is exactly what the future of 40K will look like, 1 player brings their funky ork army while his opponent brings 2 x 3 imperial knight detachment.


That's pretty damn funny. Have an exalt!

Watch as 40K's next release is: 'to make moving armies easier, we are releasing special movement trays that hold an entire squad, so you can move them all at once!"

They could re-use the War of the Ring trays............

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2014/02/24 03:21:09




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

 Perturabo's Chosen wrote:
Nothing's quite like an internet argument over speculation. Why not save the rage for next week? (or when the significant other gets the creditcard bill)

You have misunderstood. There is no rage. Just mild bemusement at GW's apparent mishandling of this particular rules release.


 
   
Made in be
Khorne Chosen Marine Riding a Juggernaut





Belgium

 AegisGrimm wrote:
wufai wrote:
 Co'tor Shas wrote:
 Perturabo's Chosen wrote:
um, 5 minutes ago was a picture all all the knight models GW released back in Titan Legions, and now they're gone. Why?

I got them all here if you want them.
But I think this is all that is needed



THIS is exactly what the future of 40K will look like, 1 player brings their funky ork army while his opponent brings 2 x 3 imperial knight detachment.


That's pretty damn funny. Have an exalt!

Watch as 40K's next release is: 'to make moving armies easier, we are releasing special movement trays that hold an entire squad, so you can move them all at once!"

They could re-use the War of the Ring trays............


Oh you mean these?



If they make trays like this for 20-30 models with would be helpfull for GI and Orks players...

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

Yup, pretty soon with those, a hugely disposable income, and a 8x10 playing area, you can play Epic 40K in 28mm scale.



"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 warboss wrote:
 Vaktathi wrote:

Or it could just be a realization that the rule that vehicles can't score or contest was absurd in the first place, especially since MC's can.


So the solution is to allow an army of nothing but heavily armored vehicles in which each and every model is scoring and immune to on average 80% of weapons in opposing squads? There was a reason why the old 3rd edition IG all Tank force allowed glances on 6s to pen regardless of the weapon str and it still was an unfun army to face that most people in my store refused to play after one game. I dont want to play apoc at 1500pts yet that seems to be the route GW keeps going. This IMO would have better been done as @ 0-2 choice that replaced allies only but I guess that wouldn't sell as many models.


maybe except this is an army of absolutly TINY numbers. so it, theoreticly, should average out. after all the guns on your average troops are being used to clear out infantry anyway, if you're playing a 1500 point game you're only fighting 4 models.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

BrianDavion wrote:
after all the guns on your average troops are being used to clear out infantry anyway, if you're playing a 1500 point game you're only fighting 4 models.

That's fine if there are infantry. Otherwise, yes, you're only fighting 4 models... but they're 4 models that the majority of your army can't actually damage.


As was previously mentioned, this is exactly why the old Armoured Company list added in 'Lucky Shots'... without it, you wind up with a rather boring game where only one side can actually hurt the other. That's not fun for anybody.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 insaniak wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
after all the guns on your average troops are being used to clear out infantry anyway, if you're playing a 1500 point game you're only fighting 4 models.

That's fine if there are infantry. Otherwise, yes, you're only fighting 4 models... but they're 4 models that the majority of your army can't actually damage.


As was previously mentioned, this is exactly why the old Armoured Company list added in 'Lucky Shots'... without it, you wind up with a rather boring game where only one side can actually hurt the other. That's not fun for anybody.


And yet strangely GW has decided to relive the (bad parts of) the glory days of 3rd edition by bringing something relatively unfun like that back without the only token balancing factor it had along with the tradition of overpowered rules snippets (but in digital form via dataslates instead of "chapter approved" articles). I'm curious if the Legion of the Damned book will be the modern equivalent of the all Death Company 3rd ed WD army.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/02/24 04:26:00


   
Made in us
Infiltrating Prowler






 AegisGrimm wrote:
Yup, pretty soon with those, a hugely disposable income, and a 8x10 playing area, you can play Epic 40K in 28mm scale.


Isn't that Apoc already? Some of the armies tossed around in those games cost more than I make in a year
   
Made in au
Grizzled Space Wolves Great Wolf





 bu11etmagn3tt wrote:
This was a rumor thread about knights coming. They came. Rumor over. Turned into a strange gathering of moaners, groaners, doom sayers, paniky petes, and speculators. IMHO. Mod, when ya' closin' this (dead) thread down?
Getting a bit premature? The knights aren't even out yet, we don't know what will come after the model and the WD blurb on them, a codex, more models, etc. We don't even know how tall it is


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AegisGrimm wrote:
Yup, pretty soon with those, a hugely disposable income, and a 8x10 playing area, you can play Epic 40K in 28mm scale.
Funny thing is, I was always more interested in playing 40k on an epic scale than the other way around, lol.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Padre wrote:
Almost forgot - for the Aussies out there, Mil Sims reckons they'll have the Knights for AU$125 +$7.50 postage anywhere in mainland Oz.

I think that's about average for discount places? There's a few discounters that give 20% discount, 155*0.8 = $124. So I expect a few discounters in the 120-125 range.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/02/24 07:29:02


 
   
Made in au
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





Ipswich, Australia

AllSeeingSkink wrote:
I think that's about average for discount places? There's a few discounters that give 20% discount, 155*0.8 = $124. So I expect a few discounters in the 120-125 range.


Yup, just about spot on. I mention Mil Sims specifically as they're a long established, reliable and reputable store based out of Melbourne... and it seems a good price for postage too.

(No, am not affiliated, etc etc).

"All GW will gain is my increased contempt for their business practices." - AesSedai
"Its terrible the way that conversion kit is causing him to buy 2 GW kits... " - Mad4Minis
"GW are hard to parody, as they are sometimes so stupid that the best in comedy couldn't beat them at their own game..." - Paradigm


 
   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived




On moon miranda.

 warboss wrote:

So the solution is to allow an army of nothing but heavily armored vehicles in which each and every model is scoring and immune to on average 80% of weapons in opposing squads?
It's also an army where they've got little effective long range AT (the melta cannon being only rather effective under 18" and the battle cannons throwing out a maximum of 12 S8 shots a turn at 2250pts, which isn't much), has basically no way to deal with AV11+ flyers, and would otherwise have no way to win a game short of tabling an opponent. Barring whatever allies clarifications there are, it's an army that is inherently one-dimensional and exceedingly vulnerable to a number of well established tactics. Woe be to the Knight player facing an SM gunline with a couple pods of combi-melta Sternguard for example (put the shield to the sides or rear to help with the meltas and the kraks and lascannons on the other side of the table get through free, set the shield to the front and the sternguard get a free kill).


Besides, there have always been armies like that which would ignore large amounts of one's shooting, what do you do against Mech lists (particularly Necron) that are immune to all of your anti-infantry guns? Just looking at some raw averages, if you could deal with entrenched Leman Russ tanks in 5E, you can deal with a Knight in 6E even easier.


There was a reason why the old 3rd edition IG all Tank force allowed glances on 6s to pen regardless of the weapon str and it still was an unfun army to face that most people in my store refused to play after one game.
It was an army that was absurdly easy to deal with sporting those rules, especially in 3E. If you didn't have fun playing it's not because you had trouble killing it with that rule in there (particularly as glances could still kill tanks and vehicles couldn't get cover saves).

One will notice they didn't reprint such a rule for the it's 2nd Chapter Approved incarnation nor for any of it's 3 FW follow-on's in 4E, 5E and 6E

I dont want to play apoc at 1500pts yet that seems to be the route GW keeps going. This IMO would have better been done as @ 0-2 choice that replaced allies only but I guess that wouldn't sell as many models.
It wouldn't sell as many models. That said, this army isn't as ridiculous as it's being made out to be.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/02/24 07:58:22


IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Heavy Gear Painting Log, Northern Guard, Southern Republican Army, and Terrain
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in gb
Stubborn Dark Angels Veteran Sergeant





Teesside

You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.

Worried about losing next time your Orks go up against Marines, 'cos you know your buddy bought three Knights to add to his force? Buy three Knights to add to your force! Simple.

My painting & modelling blog: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/699224.page

Serpent King Games: Dragon Warriors Reborn!
http://serpentking.com/

 
   
Made in jp
Fixture of Dakka





Japan

Anyone seen this zweischeid? it couldn't be?
http://pinsofwar.com/poll-dreamforge-leviathan-or-games-workshop-knight/

Squidbot;
"That sound? That's the sound of me drinking all my paint and stabbing myself in the eyes with my brushes. "
My Doombringer Space Marine Army
Hello Kitty Space Marines project
Buddhist Space marine Project
Other Projects
Imageshack deleted all my Images Thank you! 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Vaktathi wrote:
It was an army that was absurdly easy to deal with sporting those rules, especially in 3E. If you didn't have fun playing it's not because you had trouble killing it with that rule in there (particularly as glances could still kill tanks and vehicles couldn't get cover saves).

One will notice they didn't reprint such a rule for the it's 2nd Chapter Approved incarnation nor for any of it's 3 FW follow-on's in 4E, 5E and 6E


Couldn't've said it better. Lucky Glancing Hits was a terrible rule.


 Ian Sturrock wrote:
You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.


Yeah! Who needs balanced rules when everyone can take giant stompy robots! Balanced rules are just for TFG WAAC players, and everyone hates them.

- This message brought to you by the Dakka Casual Gaming Mafia: 'Cause winning is for losers!


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/02/24 08:40:03


   
Made in tr
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





I was told that our distributor ordered the CODEX as well as the knight s.

So yes there will be a codex.

Weyland-Yutani
Building Better Terrains

https://www.weyland-yutani-inc.com/

https://www.facebook.com/weylandyutaniinc/

 Grey Templar wrote:
The Riptide can't be a giant death robot, its completely lacking a sword or massive chainsaw. All giant death robots have swords or massive chainsaws.
 
   
Made in us
Major






far away from Battle Creek, Michigan

110 euro? lol, no thanks!

PROSECUTOR: By now, there have been 34 casualties.

Elena Ceausescu says: Look, and that they are calling genocide.

 
   
Made in pl
Kelne





Warsaw, Poland

But if you buy the Iron Brotherhood for 550,00 € you get 5 art prints for free!
   
Made in gb
Focused Fire Warrior





Bath, UK

 Ian Sturrock wrote:
You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.


I doubt 'nids and 'crons will be able to..
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Bay Area, CA

So, I just realized that the +1 to Steal the Initiative rolls and the +1 VP for removing 3 HPs is only for Lords of War, it's not an inherent thing for all super-heavies. I wonder if that's how the Knights will be, or if the next White Dwarf or the codex will amend that.
   
Made in de
Decrepit Dakkanaut







Hybrid Son Of Oxayotl wrote: I do not understand why they allowed that. It basically means that the only weapons I can use are inferno pistols melta, multi-melta and maybe, maybe exorcist missile launchers.
Everything else is USELESS.
I had already an hard time justifying taking a few flamethrowers. Way to encourage fun and fluffy armies…

I think, GW's current business model is the following:
1.) Don't expect any new customers.
2.) Don't count on existing customers to start a new army.
3.) Expand the rules so that the player with the most new 100$+ Godzilla kits wins with every ordinary army just watching helplessly.

In other words: They don't care about existing armies, they change rules so that only new products have any chance of winning: "Pay to win!"
insaniak wrote:
You know there's a Codex coming. .

I know no such thing. We have no official indication so far that this will be anything other than a White Dwarf release.

Accept the fact that March has 3 more release weekends to fill, that GW staff is mortally afraid to talk about future releases and that on release day, the only official ruleset has got discontinued. We will see a rules release for this new army, most probably announced in the WD standing nex t to the new boxes.
Ian Sturrock wrote:You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.

Finally my Tyranids can get what they always wanted to stay competitive in this game: Imperial Knights!
May I take a Godzilla toy as count as, pretty please?

Seriously, only Imperial armies are allowed to take this super heavy:
"Yes, game balance is preserved, as everyone can buy an Imperial Knight army."

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2014/02/24 10:15:46


Hive Fleet Ouroboros (my Tyranid blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/286852.page
The Dusk-Wraiths of Szith Morcane (my Dark Eldar blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/364786.page
Kroothawk's Malifaux Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/455759.page
If you want to understand the concept of the "Greater Good", read this article, and you never again call Tau commies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism 
   
Made in fr
Hallowed Canoness





 BaronIveagh wrote:
SM, Tyranids, Eldar, DE, Tau,, dear fething god, the fish, the fish...

No, the SM guy was just the one that stuck out, because he bitched about how unfair it was that IG had defeated him, and that the list was OP, because it was guard and he couldn't run over it in four turns.

I had been run over by the rape train several times, and it was nice to drive it for once.

Does that make it good game design, no. Was it a lot of fun to administer ironic vengeance on those who told me to throw out my Steel Legion and get a 'real army "? Oh, oh yes.

How is that in any way to the fact an all-Knight army (so, NOT an Imperial Guard army) is a very bad idea because it is totally immune to most weapons of opposing armies, and makes most troops even more useless than before ?
 Ian Sturrock wrote:
You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.

Worried about losing next time your Orks go up against Marines, 'cos you know your buddy bought three Knights to add to his force? Buy three Knights to add to your force! Simple.

Same here, how does that fix the problem that most of the weapons from my army will be totally useless against the Knights ? Are you really saying that instead of complaining, I should just switch to playing an all-Knight army myself or something ? Did it not occur to you that this would not solve my problem (bolters and flamethrowers being useless), but would only cost me money and drive me away from the army that I want to play because of its fluff and models ?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Kroothawk wrote:
"Yes, game balance is preserved, as everyone can buy an Imperial Knight army."

The game is balanced : you can play mirror match if you just buy a copy of everything on your opponent's army list .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/02/24 11:03:51


 
   
Made in gb
Stubborn Dark Angels Veteran Sergeant





Teesside

Sorry, I should have added a smiley.

I am not seriously suggesting that everyone should buy 3 Knights.

I am, instead, agreeing with earlier posters, that GW doesn't give a fig for game balance, but knows that Knights will sell like hot cakes.

My painting & modelling blog: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/699224.page

Serpent King Games: Dragon Warriors Reborn!
http://serpentking.com/

 
   
Made in ca
Executing Exarch






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Vaktathi wrote:
It was an army that was absurdly easy to deal with sporting those rules, especially in 3E. If you didn't have fun playing it's not because you had trouble killing it with that rule in there (particularly as glances could still kill tanks and vehicles couldn't get cover saves).

One will notice they didn't reprint such a rule for the it's 2nd Chapter Approved incarnation nor for any of it's 3 FW follow-on's in 4E, 5E and 6E


Couldn't've said it better. Lucky Glancing Hits was a terrible rule.


 Ian Sturrock wrote:
You game balance killjoys are missing the fact that EVERYONE can take Knights to add to their armies.


Yeah! Who needs balanced rules when everyone can take giant stompy robots! Balanced rules are just for TFG WAAC players, and everyone hates them.

- This message brought to you by the Dakka Casual Gaming Mafia: 'Cause winning is for losers!



And remember, its not power gaming when FAACers do it, its "tactical".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/02/24 12:24:02


Rick Priestley said it best:
Bryan always said that if the studio ever had to mix with the manufacturing and sales part of the business it would destroy the studio. And I have to say – he wasn’t wrong there! The modern studio isn’t a studio in the same way; it isn’t a collection of artists and creatives sharing ideas and driving each other on. It’s become the promotions department of a toy company – things move on!
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: