Switch Theme:

Random Chaos Stuff (Vintage Warhammer Quest WIP)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

gobert wrote:A funky batch of creepy crawlies! The red eyes work well on all of the colours too. The whole bunch of critters are amazing together. As for what comes next, I vote you keep going up in stature and do some gobbos next
Well I totally messed that up, I started the minotaur before I saw you post lol! Gobbos will be next though!

RobertsMinis wrote:Love all the different colours, especially on the bats. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest!
Thanks!

IGtR= wrote:Awesome group shots of the critters, and such a great execution of the multicoloured approach to them. I struggle to paint things with the same paint schemes, and am firmly of the view that animals/creatures should not be uniform, so am a huge fan of the approach and the effect!!!

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate it!

Don Qui Hotep wrote:Those spiderlings look great. Also kind of adorable. The blue ones stand out to me as really striking, like some Avicularia. I like gobert's suggestion of going up one more in size!
Adorable until they swarm you and suck your blood dry lol!

So as noted I kinda jumped to the big guys instead of going up a size, whoops!

Got one done, two more to go and then onto the goblins.



Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in ca
Damsel of the Lady





drinking tea in the snow

Aw, he wants a hug! With... a club

He's very neat. A good amount of detail for a fairly simple figure.

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






He looks great so all is forgiven! . Am I right to assume the others will be coloured differently? It’s a theme that’s worked so far, so hopefully they are

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

amazingturtles wrote:Aw, he wants a hug! With... a club

He's very neat. A good amount of detail for a fairly simple figure.
Thanks! Yeah they have a lot of character for sure. I wish I had the inclination to put tattoos or other freehand on them to really use all that open space that today's minis lack.

gobert wrote:He looks great so all is forgiven! . Am I right to assume the others will be coloured differently? It’s a theme that’s worked so far, so hopefully they are
Yes the different colors has been working quite well, so I'm continuing that trend, but I had to really think about how to use all the different browns!


Clubotaur #2, the clubbening.


Axeotaur #1, the choppening.


All three of the minotaurs romping in the fields...


... and one glamor shot of them in their subterranean home.

Next up, gobbos for gobert!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Minotaurs look amazing, great job using the differing color schemes!
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Great job MegaDave, the continuing theme of different skintones/fur is really helping to distract from the replicants! Was the Axeotaur a conversion including the skull on his belt buckle?

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






Great variety on the Minotaurs, really helps add character to help differentiate the similar sculpts. Quite a roster of baddies you've accumulated!

My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here!
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Necrons); AoS/Fantasy (Seraphon/Lizardmen); Warcry; Marvel Crisis Protocol; Wargods of Olympus/Aegyptus; Mythos 
   
Made in gb
Indescriminate Explicator





Northern Ireland

Those Minotaurs are great. Really like the way you have painted the axe, lovely used metal look.
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






They look great. No BS.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Viterbi wrote:Minotaurs look amazing, great job using the differing color schemes!
Thank you!

gobert wrote:Great job MegaDave, the continuing theme of different skintones/fur is really helping to distract from the replicants! Was the Axeotaur a conversion including the skull on his belt buckle?
Axeotaur was actually an alternative sculpt, I'm not sure if he's the minotaur boss or just for kicks.

Don Qui Hotep wrote:Great variety on the Minotaurs, really helps add character to help differentiate the similar sculpts. Quite a roster of baddies you've accumulated!
Certainly getting there, I feel like I'm in the home stretch, even though I'm not lol

RobertsMinis wrote:Those Minotaurs are great. Really like the way you have painted the axe, lovely used metal look.
Thanks! It's pretty simple, stormhost silver with a agrax earthshade shade followed by a null oil shade.

youwashock wrote:They look great. No BS.
Thanks!

Managed to get some work done today on the greenskins. Figured it was an easy/messy stage so I just did all the skin at the same time. The orks will get darkened up a bit to keep the goblins the lightest.

I tell you what though, warboss green over black is a pain, almost as bad as yellow. Took 3 coats to get a solid color!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/10 19:21:27


Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in gb
Crushing Black Templar Crusader Pilot






London

Goblin green over a black undercoat? You are a glutton for punishment!!

Minotaurs look great

Thanks for sharing



Relapse wrote:
Baron, don't forget to talk about the SEALs and Marines you habitually beat up on 2 and 3 at a time, as you PM'd me about.
nareik wrote:
Perhaps it is a lube issue, seems obvious now.
 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Good start on the green horde. And I myself only use black spray when I mostly drybrush grey after that Light and medium grey primer ftw!
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Cool, good to see progress on the gobbos. Really classic skin tone, I like it!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

IGtR= wrote:Goblin green over a black undercoat? You are a glutton for punishment!!

Minotaurs look great

Thanks for sharing
Yeah I'm an idiot

Viterbi wrote:Good start on the green horde. And I myself only use black spray when I mostly drybrush grey after that Light and medium grey primer ftw!
Thanks! I should probably do that, I just wasn't expecting to be that rough of a start haha!

gobert wrote:Cool, good to see progress on the gobbos. Really classic skin tone, I like it!
Thanks, you can't go wrong with goblin green!

Finished up the skin on everyone tonight. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the orcs got a second shade of biel tan green while the goblins got a light brush of ushabti bone. The contrast between their skin is a little more apparent in real life.


Started working on the weapons for the gobbos, I'm going to stick with making them all different colors, been working for me pretty well so far, no need to mess up a good thing!


Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






Nice progress on the gobbos. Keep it up!

My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here!
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Necrons); AoS/Fantasy (Seraphon/Lizardmen); Warcry; Marvel Crisis Protocol; Wargods of Olympus/Aegyptus; Mythos 
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Keeping up the punishment with a bit of yellow over black . The multi-coloured approach looks as though it’s continuing to work well

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Don Qui Hotep wrote:Nice progress on the gobbos. Keep it up!
Will do, after I finish all my homework for the weekend. College papers really get in the way of painting goblins!

gobert wrote:Keeping up the punishment with a bit of yellow over black . The multi-coloured approach looks as though it’s continuing to work well
Yes, I hate myself, obviously!

On a totally unrelated note, I managed to score an original land raider for my 2nd Ed. Iron Warriors!

Here she is in all her Rogue Trader glory!


Obviously there's a bit of battle damage and some thick paint that needs removed, you'd think the blood angels of all chapters would take better care of their relics...


Luckily I had an old coffee can sitting around waiting to be used for my sector mecanicus project, which fit the tank perfectly.


I'm just hoping her machine spirit can forgive me for drowning her in purple power!


The other "nice" thing about this model is that it finally gives me an excuse to buy some blue stuff to clone the heavy bolter and lascannons, since there was only one pair. Excited to strip that paint and get started!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Nice! I’ve got one of those laying around somewhere. You’ve also cleared up what the random heavy bolter I have in the bits box is from! Good luck cloning the lasguns; iron resin within, iron Oyumaru without!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/04/17 20:53:53


Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






It will be fun to see the LR develop. And love the shot of it in purple, that can was made for this task

Green hordes are coming along nicely. And good call with the Ushbati Bone drybrush. May try that sometime, when I need to paint green skin.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

gobert wrote:Nice! I’ve got one of those laying around somewhere. You’ve also cleared up what the random heavy bolter I have in the bits box is from! Good luck cloning the lasguns; iron resin within, iron Oyumaru without!
Yeah sadly the Oyumaru and millilut didn't work out for me, it was close but didn't quite fit the bill.

Viterbi wrote:It will be fun to see the LR develop. And love the shot of it in purple, that can was made for this task

Green hordes are coming along nicely. And good call with the Ushbati Bone drybrush. May try that sometime, when I need to paint green skin.
Hah yeah the can is perfect for it. Thanks, I liked the way the skin turned out.

Been busy with school and house hunting, so painting hasn't been much of a priority. Move into the new house in a few weeks, and I have 3 weeks of from school! Exciting times!

So here's the land raider, all cleaned up and painted silver.


Since I wasn't able to clone the lascannon sponson, I simply bought another MK1 land raider.
It was in pretty bad shape, it looks like 3 layers of paint.

Into the can of stripping!!!


I figured I'd use the pieces from the new one to get all the parts for the original, and I'll learn how to cast rubber molds for the new one using the extra bits. I think it's a good plan???

Not shown but I painted all of the boots on the goblins black. They're boots, you don't need to see them.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/15 01:20:43


Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






That poor new LR, doubling as replacement parts Hope the molding experiments work out.
   
Made in us
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Houston, TX

It is so great to see that old school land raider again. I am looking forward to you giving it new life and getting it back onto a tabletop somewhere. Thanks for the action shots of the stripping. I've used Purple Power and had pretty good results with metal minis (although it still took me a lot of scrubbing and scraping to get the gunk out of the recesses) but I have not tried it on plastic. Glad to see it works without damaging the plastic.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






Gen 1 Land Raiders are the greatest. Looking forward to the resurrection of this ancient treasure.
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






The land raider looks good in silver. It’s a shame the Oyumaru and milliput failed, but yay for another Land Raider! I find it quite tricky making parts, my best results came from pressing into the two sides of the mould separately then pressing them together. The hard bit is getting the amount in each side correct. You either end up with too much so the parts end up too big or too little with gaps. Your solution of Cannibalisation of parts is a long tried and tested military process anyway, so good luck!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Viterbi wrote:That poor new LR, doubling as replacement parts Hope the molding experiments work out.
Hah, it's a sad sack landraider for sure. I'll get her fixed up eventually.

The Riddle of Steel wrote:It is so great to see that old school land raider again. I am looking forward to you giving it new life and getting it back onto a tabletop somewhere. Thanks for the action shots of the stripping. I've used Purple Power and had pretty good results with metal minis (although it still took me a lot of scrubbing and scraping to get the gunk out of the recesses) but I have not tried it on plastic. Glad to see it works without damaging the plastic.
Yeah it didn't hurt it at all, and the stuff it couldn't get I used easy off oven cleaner and that took care of the rest.

youwashock wrote:Gen 1 Land Raiders are the greatest. Looking forward to the resurrection of this ancient treasure.
Thanks! It's been fun so far

gobert wrote:The land raider looks good in silver. It’s a shame the Oyumaru and milliput failed, but yay for another Land Raider! I find it quite tricky making parts, my best results came from pressing into the two sides of the mould separately then pressing them together. The hard bit is getting the amount in each side correct. You either end up with too much so the parts end up too big or too little with gaps. Your solution of Cannibalisation of parts is a long tried and tested military process anyway, so good luck!
Yeah that and the milliput isn't as sturdy as I'd like, much too brittle for the lascannons long term.

Spent some more time on the gobbos, they're starting to get there. Very colorful little fellas!


Land Raider has gotten its tracks all muddied up. Did the first pass with Typhus Corrosion and then followed up more heavily on the outside with Stirland Mud.


After it dries I'm going to give it a good drybrush, but that mud takes forever to dry so done for the night!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in ca
Damsel of the Lady





drinking tea in the snow

I really like seeing such a variety of colors on those goblins. They're just so lively and fun! I think that the purple bow is my favorite.

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Surrey, BC - Canada

Ah, the classics...making copies of small pieces of the old plastics can be done with resin and a rubber mold (they are also simpler than the very detailed plastics GW releases now). Just make certain you have one to use as a template.

Good luck.

CB

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Those are some fancy gobbos, the coloured bows work really well. I’m loving how the simple colour changes are making these all look different despite being batches of the same mini. Great work!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Muddy tracks look cool, as do the rainbow goblins
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Been a little busy the last 9 months, didn't realize I had been gone that long. Bought a new house, bought a new car, started a new job and started taking some more classes so I've been a bit busy. It was one of those structurally sound houses that needed a ton of interior cosmetic work.

So I finally got to drag out the paints, got a little work done on the old land raider. Mud is done, just need to finish the black parts to get ready for the hazard stripes. Hopefully I can get back to painting on a more regular schedule.



Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: