Switch Theme:

Ork Stompa is now OVER POWERED  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Can’t see what these Marine players are complaining about - Stompa is only 800pts of no-invun-save, low-accuracy, declining-efficiency, terrain-blocked Green Fury! Only the Mek Workshop is more OP - my group have banned its use.

Git Gud, Whinerz!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/03 07:49:04


 
   
Made in nl
Raging Ravener




They made it even cheaper?! Must be nice, being the posterboyz.
   
Made in eu
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





I guess people just don't know the obvious combo: Put the stompa in the mek workshop, skip a turn of shooting and then have a guaranteed* 36 shots out of the supa gatler! With a 6+ chance (4+ with stratagem) to get +1 damage, even against non-vehicles! Imperial Fists hate this trick.

*actually just 5 in 6 chance

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/03 08:07:18


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I tricked my friend who plays knights into battling against my Stompa List. Turn 1 my Stompa killed all 3 of his knight models by literally making them laugh so hard they overloaded their core's and exploded. The Stompa win streak continues.

If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in us
Flashy Flashgitz






It was hard enough trying to find games with the already-overpowered Stompa, I'll never find a game with this massive point reduction. Guess the Stompa goes back on the shelf.

I mean, it was on the shelf. Has been on the shelf for years. I just like to take it down once in a while because it looks nice.

I'll show ye..... - Phillip J. Fry

Those are brave men knocking on our door! Let's go kill them! - Tyrion Lannister 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





I understand it even makes a good tree topper for the festive season.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






Gadzilla666 wrote:
The fething gargantuan squigoth is probably a better low choice for orks.

And that's saying something.

came in 2nd or 3rd place in 2018 warzone atlanta with a squigith. With index orks. LOL It could probably win events now with a real codex.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in eu
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?


banning it to legends

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?

Just more powerful units around it. It does have clan keyword so it can benefit from kultures.

It is actually quite powerful if you have any sort of imagination. 2+ to do d6 mortal wounds to anything you charge...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?


banning it to legends
Is that so? If that is the case I'll shut up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/03 15:07:29


If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Xenomancers wrote:


Not Online!!! wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?


banning it to legends
Is that so? If that is the case I'll shut up.


you see, the chance that i am right about that makes this joke or sarcasm attempt so bittersweet, and contrasting with the changes in ca (well actually the non changes mostly in the case of FW) i feel like legends will be a darn impressive book / online doccument.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in gb
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine




Eastern Fringe

When people said that Americans don't understand sarcasm I always thought it was an exaggeration.

The first rule of unarmed combat is: don’t be unarmed. 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





i think he employed further irony to reinforce his agreement with my point. And i felt it necessary to add to it.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





 Xenomancers wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?

Just more powerful units around it. It does have clan keyword so it can benefit from kultures.

What units? Oh, and please remind me which units benefit from kultures? HINT: That is one of the reasons why the stompa is so OP.

It is actually quite powerful if you have any sort of imagination. 2+ to do d6 mortal wounds to anything you charge...

*imagines half a unit of imperial guardsmen surviving Godzilla stomping on them*

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/03 16:00:39


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Hollow wrote:
When people said that Americans don't understand sarcasm I always thought it was an exaggeration.

Oh come on now. Without tone it is impossible to detect sarcasm.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Xenomancers wrote:
 Hollow wrote:
When people said that Americans don't understand sarcasm I always thought it was an exaggeration.

Oh come on now. Without tone it is impossible to detect sarcasm.


There was a laughing smiley at the end though...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Jidmah wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
Please remind me what the codex does for the squiggoth?

Just more powerful units around it. It does have clan keyword so it can benefit from kultures.

What units? Oh, and please remind me which units benefit from kultures? HINT: That is one of the reasons why the stompa is so OP.

It is actually quite powerful if you have any sort of imagination. 2+ to do d6 mortal wounds to anything you charge...

*imagines half a unit of imperial guardsmen surviving Godzilla stomping on them*

My point is it wasn't getting kulturs or stratagems in the high placing warzone atlanta list. It was index orks. Now it can get more dakka + free bootas and he hitting on 4+ with 5/6 giving additional rolls to hit with zappas. Thats not too bad. It also holds 20 dudes - not a bad place to put some shoota boys.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







 Hollow wrote:
When people said that Americans don't understand sarcasm I always thought it was an exaggeration.


Yup. We're incredibly humourless and incapable of taking a subtle joke that way.

Victoria est autem vita.

Stories at https://knightofthegrey.wordpress.com/
Game-related musings at https://thescenicdetour.wordpress.com/
Both updated irregularly 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





 Xenomancers wrote:
My point is it wasn't getting kulturs or stratagems in the high placing warzone atlanta list. It was index orks. Now it can get more dakka + free bootas and he hitting on 4+ with 5/6 giving additional rolls to hit with zappas. Thats not too bad. It also holds 20 dudes - not a bad place to put some shoota boys.


Please explain in detail how that is supposed to work. You know, how a big squiggoth gets a kulture.
And while you're at it, which stratagems can it use?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/03 16:18:33


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Jidmah wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
My point is it wasn't getting kulturs or stratagems in the high placing warzone atlanta list. It was index orks. Now it can get more dakka + free bootas and he hitting on 4+ with 5/6 giving additional rolls to hit with zappas. Thats not too bad. It also holds 20 dudes - not a bad place to put some shoota boys.


Please explain in detail how that is supposed to work. You know, how a big squiggoth gets a kulture.
And while you're at it, which stratagems can it use?

Take a supreme command with 3 SAG and a squig? It has Kulturs so any stratagem that says <clan> Unit - it can use.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





 Xenomancers wrote:
Take a supreme command with 3 SAG and a squig?

Good job! At the cost of having 4 less CP and one additional tax HQ (because you need four more, right?) you can provide your LoW with a kulture!

It has Kulturs so any stratagem that says <clan> Unit - it can use.

Do you know what's funny? Because you don't know but tried to pretend that you do, your vague wording is actually wrong.
There are 0 stratagems which say <clan> unit.
There are 2 stratagems which say ORK unit. One of them explicitly prevents units with PL > 20 from using it. The other is moar dakka, which has no business being used on a terrible shooting unit like the gargantuan squiggoth - especially not if you are trying to trigger the freeboota bonus for it.
Now please stop pretending you know gak about orks, we established multiple times that you don't.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos




 AnomanderRake wrote:
 Hollow wrote:
When people said that Americans don't understand sarcasm I always thought it was an exaggeration.


Yup. We're incredibly humourless and incapable of taking a subtle joke that way.

Hey speak for yourself!

Ewww esss ayyy! Ewwww esssss ayyyyy! Ewwww essss ayyyy!
   
Made in de
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





I can't believe nobody mentioned so far how the Stompas Lack of an invulnerability save makes the Callidus ability to ignore those completely pointless.

Also who in their right minds would put a moral reroll aura on an ork unit that already is THAT powerful and almost invincible. Did nobody see how morale failure was the only tool we had left to deal with ork boyz mobs?

Completely OP

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/03 17:34:21


~1300 build and painted 
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine




Douglasville, GA

The back and forth with Xeno is funnier than the original topic.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Jidmah wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
Take a supreme command with 3 SAG and a squig?

Good job! At the cost of having 4 less CP and one additional tax HQ (because you need four more, right?) you can provide your LoW with a kulture!

It has Kulturs so any stratagem that says <clan> Unit - it can use.

Do you know what's funny? Because you don't know but tried to pretend that you do, your vague wording is actually wrong.
There are 0 stratagems which say <clan> unit.
There are 2 stratagems which say ORK unit. One of them explicitly prevents units with PL > 20 from using it. The other is moar dakka, which has no business being used on a terrible shooting unit like the gargantuan squiggoth - especially not if you are trying to trigger the freeboota bonus for it.
Now please stop pretending you know gak about orks, we established multiple times that you don't.

Come to think of it deathskulls would probably be best for it. Double zap cannons. Hit with more dakka. 18 big shoota shots and 6 str 2d6 ap-4 flat 4 damage. It's also great for the SAG. I know 40k. If I played orks - (it's one of the few armies I have no interest in because it would cost me 3-4 k dollars just to get into them) I would practically never lose. Stompa is for sure bad. An actually good ork super heavy would be OP though because more dakka exists.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Pyroalchi wrote:
I can't believe nobody mentioned so far how the Stompas Lack of an invulnerability save makes the Callidus ability to ignore those completely pointless.

Also who in their right minds would put a moral reroll aura on an ork unit that already is THAT powerful and almost invincible. Did nobody see how morale failure was the only tool we had left to deal with ork boyz mobs?

Completely OP


right! and how OP that is has a 4 tier degrading stat line. i mean its so effective for those last 10 wounds that it basically goes over 9000 with its movement at a whopping 4", hitting on 6's with its 3 attacks on a melee monster.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Probably Drunk




Colorado Springs

 Jidmah wrote:
I guess people just don't know the obvious combo: Put the stompa in the mek workshop, skip a turn of shooting and then have a guaranteed* 36 shots out of the supa gatler! With a 6+ chance (4+ with stratagem) to get +1 damage, even against non-vehicles! Imperial Fists hate this trick.

*actually just 5 in 6 chance


Play two Stompas and the workshop is basically free!
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





It can beat a Wraithknight one-on-one.

It beats anything Marines can field one-on-one. Clearly OP.
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine




Douglasville, GA

Xeno: "If I played Orkz I would practically never lose."

-looks at the W-L ratio of Orkz in the tournament scene-

-looks at the W-L ratio of Marines in the tournament scene-

"Ok."
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 flandarz wrote:
Xeno: "If I played Orkz I would practically never lose."

-looks at the W-L ratio of Orkz in the tournament scene-

-looks at the W-L ratio of Marines in the tournament scene-

"Ok."

Marines are an enigma right now. Rumors are this is their 9th eddition rules. Doesn't change the fact that orks are super strong in their own way. I dono about you but not every game I play is a tournament game ether.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: