Switch Theme:

GW and sticker shock.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I do so enjoy how instantly relevant this topic became. Let's see how the White Knights defend this...

 Lorek wrote:
As always, it's hard to be upset about pricing on goods that are quite certainly luxury goods.
No, it's pretty damned easy. I think you know that.



See I rarely see "defending" or white knighting. I do see people looking for logical justifications and I do see a lot of personal justifications of tolerance of the prices. Tolerance doesn't mean people like it; I don't think anyone enjoys paying more for things. But in the end if you are into the hobby and into Warhammer then you either have to leave or justify the prices. So I think some move on from the rises quicker than others, whilst some find its the tipping point in breaking them back.


I also notice a fair few often say things like. "well that's stopping me buying everything I want" even when in other threads they admit they've piles to rooms full of unbuilt stuff. So sometimes I think it is only curbing spending habits rather than actually impacting their hobby -at least for those fortunate few.

   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider





Im at that critical mass with my eldar armies that i dont really need anything 'new' so price jumps besides paint etc have minimum impact

yeah i dont gw at the mo but if 9th emerges ill give it a look, and maybe sub out the last of my metal bikes if it looks worthwhile

but i suspect a whole new army wont be happening for me especially with other games nibbling my hobby funds

"AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED." 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block



South Africa

The price changes are random. I know I have to factor in many other things besides simple inflation, we have cost of transport, import duties and the loss of value of our own currency vs world currencies.

But some things have increased 100% in almost 20 years, which IMHO isn't too bad, while others have increased near 1000%, which is ludicrous.

KBK 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





NobleGunner wrote:
It’s daylight robbery


Prices rising is capital. Now is rate fair or not is another but if prices wouldn't rise whole western economic system would collapse. It DEPENDS on rising everything. More everything. Higher prices, higher wages(yes those have grown as well), more stuff bought, more spent, more people born.

Of course that can't continue forever so sooner or later system is going to collapse and reworked which is going to be very painfull years but until that happens either prices keep rising or that rework happens now rather than in future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/22 11:08:54


12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4339
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

Typically we only see GW's aggregate financial details at the shareholders meeting*. I think Chapterhouse showed more broken down finances - however what can appear random to us might have a strategy behind it depending on how GW breaks up money made from sales behind the scenes. They've got the aggregate data on what does and doesn't actually sell (remember online a rubbish unit might be looked down on, but might actually sell ok in the retail market); they also know how they break up the money and how its distributed through the company. This is before we even touch on things like breaking it down to specific army popularity; internal politics and departments vying for budgets etc....


* and its super odd that we even pay attention to that. Almost every other interest I've got the communities around them never worry or bother with actually looking at the financial reports to shareholders nor even are aware when the meetings are or care about them. Considering most of us do not own GW shares or are only very small holders the amount of interest is quite surprising

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 Overread wrote:

* and its super odd that we even pay attention to that. Almost every other interest I've got the communities around them never worry or bother with actually looking at the financial reports to shareholders nor even are aware when the meetings are or care about them. Considering most of us do not own GW shares or are only very small holders the amount of interest is quite surprising


I think a lot of out interest stems from historic lack of information. For a large chunk of the time the only “state of the union” type information was from the shareholder review. Everything else was conjecture and scraps of rumors. But once a year we got solid information straight from the source.

With other companies we don’t need to dig into corporate financials for information; the people running them will just tell us what’s up and what’s happening.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 13K+ Slowly growing 3Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in gb
Ambitious Space Wolves Initiate





Doctor-boom wrote:

Finally someone that understand how costing works.
33% profit margin is good and is about what most would say is the target one should have in manufacturing, at least according to the classes I took on the subject.
The molds that gw use to make the plastic figures cost more and more (and they were already 250k each when the rhino was introduced): the more complex the parts are, the more expensive the mold.
Also they invested heavily in injection system to increase production and that's many many millions of dollars of cost that need to be amortized.
Contrary to popular thinking making stuff in high quality plastic is EXPENSIVE!

Can you explain why profit margins need to be so high? I mean a third of that profit went to shareholders (i might be mixing up years here?). And mould costs are obviously counted in costs, they don't come from the profit. the investment in inhection systems that cost millions of dollars is amortized in costs too.

I guess manufacturing needs high margins for reinvestment, but then isnt it normal to borrow to do that? and obviously if you use reserves then then just hits profit in another year, so if a company has ~33% long term, while building/investing, then that amount is after that investment, no?



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/22 13:21:06


 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut






 Shooter wrote:

I guess manufacturing needs high margins for reinvestment, but then isnt it normal to borrow to do that? and obviously if you use reserves then then just hits profit in another year, so if a company has ~33% long term, while building/investing, then that amount is after that investment, no?



I recall one of the reports or GW official stating that they don't borrow money and do their best to invest with their own reserves. I don't remember why, but the reason might be anywhere from a currency fluctuations safety, brexit, interest rate stability or whatever other reason.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/22 13:34:25


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/754924.page

https://www.instagram.com/dadamowsky/ 
   
Made in gb
Assassin with Black Lotus Poison





Bristol

 Nevelon wrote:
 Overread wrote:

* and its super odd that we even pay attention to that. Almost every other interest I've got the communities around them never worry or bother with actually looking at the financial reports to shareholders nor even are aware when the meetings are or care about them. Considering most of us do not own GW shares or are only very small holders the amount of interest is quite surprising


I think a lot of out interest stems from historic lack of information. For a large chunk of the time the only “state of the union” type information was from the shareholder review. Everything else was conjecture and scraps of rumors. But once a year we got solid information straight from the source.

With other companies we don’t need to dig into corporate financials for information; the people running them will just tell us what’s up and what’s happening.


Also, they were a goldmine of insanity with the Kirby preambles.

The Laws of Thermodynamics:
1) You cannot win. 2) You cannot break even. 3) You cannot stop playing the game.

Colonel Flagg wrote:You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me.
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 A Town Called Malus wrote:
 Nevelon wrote:
 Overread wrote:

* and its super odd that we even pay attention to that. Almost every other interest I've got the communities around them never worry or bother with actually looking at the financial reports to shareholders nor even are aware when the meetings are or care about them. Considering most of us do not own GW shares or are only very small holders the amount of interest is quite surprising


I think a lot of out interest stems from historic lack of information. For a large chunk of the time the only “state of the union” type information was from the shareholder review. Everything else was conjecture and scraps of rumors. But once a year we got solid information straight from the source.

With other companies we don’t need to dig into corporate financials for information; the people running them will just tell us what’s up and what’s happening.


Also, they were a goldmine of insanity with the Kirby preambles.


Worth breaking out the popcorn before reading.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 13K+ Slowly growing 3Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

A number of folks in my gaming group noted they made purchases during the lock down with the $10 gift cards being a reward for loyalty (as much of what they ordered has only started to ship now). Now many of the items they had identified for future purchases will be rising in price to make their gift cards only worth covering the increases.

CB

31 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted and unpainted figures for sale to make room for more.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Finished Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Building a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Nevelon wrote:
 A Town Called Malus wrote:
 Nevelon wrote:
 Overread wrote:

* and its super odd that we even pay attention to that. Almost every other interest I've got the communities around them never worry or bother with actually looking at the financial reports to shareholders nor even are aware when the meetings are or care about them. Considering most of us do not own GW shares or are only very small holders the amount of interest is quite surprising


I think a lot of out interest stems from historic lack of information. For a large chunk of the time the only “state of the union” type information was from the shareholder review. Everything else was conjecture and scraps of rumors. But once a year we got solid information straight from the source.

With other companies we don’t need to dig into corporate financials for information; the people running them will just tell us what’s up and what’s happening.


Also, they were a goldmine of insanity with the Kirby preambles.


Worth breaking out the popcorn before reading.


I believe such things are otiose.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut






Well, I see that corporate apologists, people who think big business can do no wrong because the free market is perfect in every way, are at it again with their talk of "economic reality" and how people's views and beliefs don't matter in the face of economic reality and the Almighty invisible hand of the free market.

Well, here's some other realities.

A lot of people have invested a lot of time, effort and money into GW, gw in turn takes this as an invitation to raise their prices and raise their prices. even in economic downturns and
when inflation is at a low rate.

People used to not have a lot of choice in how to respond. Either pay and pay and pay and pay or be driven out of something you enjoy by greed.

Now they do have choices, assuming they dont care about official tournaments and like to play for fun. Proxies, recasts and 3d prints.

Those are part of reality now, no matter how loud the corporate apologists squeal "BUTDUHLAWSEZ!" or "GWINTELLECTUALPROPERTY!"

Some people just don't feel like being bled dry or pushed out of a hobby they like, now they have choices.

GW has a choice. It can try flattening the curve on its hikes or see more and more people coming in with printed, proxy or recast armies, thereby forcing it to raise prices to keep up with lowering sales, drive more people away, raise prices, lose more sales, etc until it goes broke or sees the light and starts lowering prices to increase sales.

It's very likely if gw reversed it's price policies and lowered them it would result in more people coming back after being driven away, more people starting the hobby and more people buying more stuff.

And maybe make cheaper minis.Would a lot of gamers mind if there were boxed sets of basic troops that were one or two piece casts and sold a lot cheaper, along with some more expensive miultipiece sets to add a little character to an army while keeping it affordable?

You could have most troops in squad more or less identical, with maybe an officer and heavy/special weapons that were more individual.

Yes super characters could still be overpriced kits like guilleman, thrakka, abbadon, etc. People could get those if they wanted.

I believe gw would do fine with this thru lowered costs and increased sales. As to plastic costs, maybe encourage gamers to save up and mail in empty sprues so gw could recycle them, collect them at gw stores to ship back to gw.

But obviously gw won't do this until it's forced to, So hopefully gw will be forced to change policies by more people using alternatives to gw figures.

And if GW goes under? Well, someone else may buy the rights and start making games and minis in a way more respectful to gamers and less based on "how hard can we the game nerds?".



This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 00:00:31


Possibly the only person on Dakkadakka not to hate "Another life".
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





United States

Does anyone know what it costs for GW to cast a average kit?

There are a lot of people guessing on here but no one knows for sure. I have no idea, I assume after the mold is made, they would get several hundred casts from it?

I would then say it costs what, maybe a couple dollars per kit? Couple more for transportation? Again, I have no idea, just guessing here. 85-90% profit per kit? plastic is cheap. Probably one of the lowest margins in existence for a company and their cost to produce keeps getting lower as they become more efficient at producing plastic models. Bottom line, what it cost to produce minis now is much less than it was 20 years ago, yet prices keep propelling up.

Probably most of their operating budget is going into social media and promoting GW in different mediums. They are supporting many more conventions now and are promoting all over the webs and in countries they are trying to sell in. Take Japan for example.

Anyone notice the price increases are occurring more often? Take the recent news with the increase in prices on some kits.

What other companies out there have you heard of doing a price increase during these of all times? I can't name one. World economy is gak. U.S. is looking at a loss of over 40M jobs as of yesterday. GW didn't even wait until the pandemic was over to show their greed.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 05:01:01


Successful trades since 2011 with GREY88, Theophony, midget_overlord, Stricknasty, ratmkith, Swissgeese, djones520, ArcSoll, LValx, Joravi,... 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






It's pennies on the pound. The production costs of minis, which includes everything from design, distribution, moulding etc. is about 15% of their annual revenue. It's all in their annual reports.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Powerful Phoenix Lord






I've not bought a new MSRP priced kit from GW in....years. The only things I've picked up were a couple of HH boxes on discount during eBay sales, and I'll buy some parted out kits from the occasional Christmas Bundles or starter boxes - and even those were 18 months ago at the earliest.

I play a bunch of games, all of which are less than half the cost of typical GW fare. My entire, rather large, Eldar army is built from eBay rescues and auctions, etc.

What is unfortunate though, is that GW has lost the youth market comprehensively. My 13 year old nephew wants to get into 40K. I've "sold" him a few squads of old Space Marines I had laying around ($5 for five guys, etc.). Basically I had set up a little "shop" for him to spend some of his money, etc. You can imagine his disappointment when we visited the local GW and nothing under $35-45 was available in the entire shop for him to purchase/use. A $60 Primaris squad? Forget about it.

I can, of course, source some stuff at a slight discount on eBay for him - but there's zero way for him to actively buy and build a 40K army as a young teenager. Short of the occasional large birthday or Christmas gift, etc. I know it's not a large spending market (which is probably 50% older "Whales", and 50% "Young, post-college IT workers"...but they're killing the future gamers who might have bought into the game like we did when I was in high school.

I've had to more or less talk him out of 40K, an IP that he likes because of the visuals and some old codices I had laying around that I let him have/read for fun. While I recognize that adults can afford GW products if they so desire, the reality is that the game is obnoxiously expensive for anyone not in that situation. I can afford to buy GW stuff but I elect not to because of the prices. I don't find their value is justified in the price. I get more use/enjoyment out of many other companies miniatures for a variety of other games...and thus spend my money there now.

I probably spend $200-400 a month on random hobby stuff, models, etc. None of that goes to GW any longer.

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Elbows wrote:

I play a bunch of games, all of which are less than half the cost of typical GW fare. My entire, rather large, Eldar army is built from eBay rescues and auctions, etc.


A lot of it depends on how you approach it. Ebay -This is an approach that can work. I'm no stranger to ebay - for me, it's for old metal scouts (I hate the plastics) and oop kasrkin. Regarding the costs of games - again, I played Warmachine for years and can attest the prices there are... quite high. Currently, a mate of mine who still plays the competitive scene was telling me a top level infernal army can cost nearly a grande (bear in mind, uk here...) which is ridiculous.

I think gw have done a few in roads into the price issue - better value starter sets, smaller scale games like kill team, warcry or necromunda. And be played on a far lower budget.

 Elbows wrote:

What is unfortunate though, is that GW has lost the youth market comprehensively. My 13 year old nephew wants to get into 40K. I've "sold" him a few squads of old Space Marines I had laying around ($5 for five guys, etc.). Basically I had set up a little "shop" for him to spend some of his money, etc. You can imagine his disappointment when we visited the local GW and nothing under $35-45 was available in the entire shop for him to purchase/use. A $60 Primaris squad? Forget about it.

I can, of course, source some stuff at a slight discount on eBay for him - but there's zero way for him to actively buy and build a 40K army as a young teenager. Short of the occasional large birthday or Christmas gift, etc. I know it's not a large spending market (which is probably 50% older "Whales", and 50% "Young, post-college IT workers"...but they're killing the future gamers who might have bought into the game like we did when I was in high school.


With respect, I disagree.

don't see this as too far out of order. Theyre not killing any future gamers. It's just how things are.

You are talking about a thirteen year old kid. I don't think this was ever a market gw 'had'. I don't think it actually really exists. I've been buying and painting gw stuff since third ed and even then, the idea of a thirteen year old being able to afford a full army on their own purchasing power wasn't a thing. Buying a metal blister with your pocket money - ok, maybe, but even back then this was a stretch. I remember being thirteen, and my weekly pocket money budget didn't go beyond a few sweets and maybe a chippy on my school lunch break (once a week, mind!), never mind anything even a little bit fancy like computer games, clothes or actually important things like a push bike (country boy here... no bike, no getting anywhere). 40k, like most things for me at that age was always an unobtainable dream under my own steam until I was older. Aside from birthdays and Xmas, most kids here that didn't come from a 'quality' background got 2 cash injections growing up - first communion and confirmation. And if they were lucky, a memento when they turn twelve. With respwct, my upbringing was pretty normal and I can see my story being pretty similar to most folks. Any cool stuff we got at that age was presents from mom and dad for birthdays and Xmas - with respect, expecting a thirteen year old to be able to buy a 40k army, or to purchase anything on that price scale so easily speaks of privilege. For most people, it's only when you are a late teenager and get a part time job and have your first disposable income that you can consider properly getting into things.

 Elbows wrote:

I've had to more or less talk him out of 40K, an IP that he likes because of the visuals and some old codices I had laying around that I let him have/read for fun. While I recognize that adults can afford GW products if they so desire, the reality is that the game is obnoxiously expensive for anyone not in that situation. I can afford to buy GW stuff but I elect not to because of the prices. I don't find their value is justified in the price. I get more use/enjoyment out of many other companies miniatures for a variety of other games...and thus spend my money there now.


I can respect that you don't kind value in gw's prices - it's totally fair. There's a lot of this game/hobby where I simply refuse to chase the dragon (chasing the ever shifting competitive scene etc) and focus on the models I like, prefer smaller games or the specialist games etc. For me, it's been the opposite - I've really enjoyed a lot of gw's more recent releases, and love primaris, but I don't necessarily see my approach as 'right' or 'better'. They're simply making what I am happy to buy into.

That said, it's a shame you talked your nephew out of 40k. I liked your approach where you supported him with bits and pieces - I think it's really cool and on point. I'd say to folks to do what you do, and keep doing that instead until he's a bit older, not that it's my place to give advice here (I'm pretty sure it's not being asked). At that age, kids do need our help and guidance more than they need loads of money. If that was my parents, and I was that age they'd just tell me 'when you're older, if you're still into it, you can get it yourself'.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 12:43:38


greatest band in the universe: machine supremacy

"Punch your fist in the air and hold your Gameboy aloft like the warrior you are" 
   
Made in gb
Fighter Ace




England

GW have announced price rises and an edition change in one week. All at a time when the world is crashing into the largest recession for 100 years when huge numbers of people are out of work.

They really must think a small number of "whale" customers are going to carry them.

it's the quiet ones you have to look out for. Their the ones that change the world, the loud ones just take the credit for it. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Tamereth wrote:
GW have announced price rises and an edition change in one week. All at a time when the world is crashing into the largest recession for 100 years when huge numbers of people are out of work.

They really must think a small number of "whale" customers are going to carry them.


GW has already invested in all the releases for the next year - many are already sitting there with millions invested into moulds. GW can't NOT release 9th edition. They can't just put it on hold. Even if it sells less they can't just wait it out.

   
Made in us
Powerful Phoenix Lord






Deadknight,

With respect - I disagree with your disagreement, lol. I grew up buying GW stuff as a teenager. This was in the 90's when they had blisters and even then boxed sets were reasonable. Most importantly, having blisters meant I could spend my $15-20 on a couple of blisters and have something to build and paint. My 40K "army" wasn't huge, but it was playable in 2nd edition. Having been roommates with a GW store manager later in college, I can tell you there is a large market of young kids who were constantly in the stores. Were they a huge source of revenue? No, probably not. But they were the enthusiasm and excitement which kept the store abuzz.

Regarding dissuading my nephew from 40K, that's because I do find their prices borderline offensive, and I know how teenagers' minds work. I will not be encouraging him to spend all of his earthly possessions to buy a box or two of Space Marines. He can, of course, if he wants, but I won't be part of it - not with GW's current prices.

 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Elbows, how would he feel about using unofficial minis? Wargames Atlantic make passable IG minis, Shieldwolf makes close-enough Sisters, etc.. Reaper has a few Bones plastic knights that look suspiciously like Space Marines in need of guns and backpacks. Would he be interested in any of that?

   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Elbows wrote:
Deadknight,

With respect - I disagree with your disagreement, lol.


I disagree with your disagreement of of my disagreement!

But seriousoh, this is Fair - we both are coming from different perspectives. For what it's worth, I do not wish to devalue your POV.

 Elbows wrote:
Deadknight,
I grew up buying GW stuff as a teenager. This was in the 90's when they had blisters and even then boxed sets were reasonable. Most importantly, having blisters meant I could spend my $15-20 on a couple of blisters and have something to build and paint. My 40K "army" wasn't huge, but it was playable in 2nd edition. Having been roommates with a GW store manager later in college, I can tell you there is a large market of young kids who were constantly in the stores. Were they a huge source of revenue? No, probably not. But they were the enthusiasm and excitement which kept the store abuzz.


Here's the thing though. That's the mid nineties. That's twenty five years ago. That's a long time ago, and frankly, a different time. Lots of things were different. I was buying a bit later than you - in the very early noughties (first stuff was around the time of the eye of terror campaign, or thereabouts).

That said, I wasnt wrong in what I said. the equivelant of your $15 or $20 dollars back then, twenty five years ago is how much now? Back home in Ireland or the uk, that's a not insignificant chunk of cash back then, especially for a thirteen year old. Like I said, at that age, I didn't have that kind of money 'casually'. And I'm not unique in that.

Thing is, your army back then wasn't huge. You can still buy a 'not huge' army now, and it's just as playable- just play smaller games. Gw have enough approaches to the game or have smaller versions of the game that can also account for this too. I love necromunda and warcry for that very reason (I blame it on Infinity, as I quite enjoy skirmish games).

I fully appreciate lots of kids in a gw store. Nothing much has changed between then and now. You still get the jokes of gw crèche centres. Last time I was through in Glasgow, I had to step over quite a few of the ankle biters. It's not a bad thing - it's good to see the enthusiasm and excitement, as you put it. Thing is, that market of kids exists, but it's paid for by mom and dad. They're not priced out. Personally, I see it as a great platform for father/son or cool uncle/nephew bonding to share the hobby.

Now whether you feel the value is there in the sets is a totally different matter. I can appreciate you don't - I've been there myself with gw stuff.

 Elbows wrote:
Deadknight,
Regarding dissuading my nephew from 40K, that's because I do find their prices borderline offensive, and I know how teenagers' minds work. I will not be encouraging him to spend all of his earthly possessions to buy a box or two of Space Marines. He can, of course, if he wants, but I won't be part of it - not with GW's current prices.


This is fair - I respect your position on this.

Cheers!

greatest band in the universe: machine supremacy

"Punch your fist in the air and hold your Gameboy aloft like the warrior you are" 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot




UK

 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Elbows, how would he feel about using unofficial minis? Wargames Atlantic make passable IG minis, Shieldwolf makes close-enough Sisters, etc.. Reaper has a few Bones plastic knights that look suspiciously like Space Marines in need of guns and backpacks. Would he be interested in any of that?


I can second the recommend for Wargames Atlantic.

70GBP for 72 models.




From the two Death Fields sets so far, you can push together Steel legion or Vostroyan proxies. Mix and match their WWI Germans with Les Grognards will give you Death Korps of Krieg.


Even better, especially for Les Grognards, there are 6 x 24 sets of heads per box. I'm partially financing my purchase of the upcoming Space Brits by flogging off conversion bits.

   
Made in us
Powerful Phoenix Lord






My nephew will do as he pleases, I simply am not coaching or guiding him into 40K. He painted a handful of tactical marines and now wants to buy a Knight. He doesn't yet actually play the game, so I suggested he wait until he does so (we've only played "Kiddiehammer" in the past, a simplified version I wrote for him when he was maybe 10).

He's been saving all of his birthday money, etc...and I'd rather not see him waste it on a $140+ model...but it's his money. He likes 40K aesthetics, but I have considered suggesting something like Mantic's Warpath(?) etc.

Since he doesn't actually play the game, I've also considered finding a suitably cool VOTOMS or Gundam style kit, etc. We'll see.

 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

How does he feel about the 15mm Dreamforge Leviathan? Is that close enough in aesthetics?

   
Made in us
Powerful Phoenix Lord






I've suggested that to him, so we'll see. Shame Dreamforge is more or less done with the plastics, he could have scooped up a 28mm Leviathan during their sale six months back.

 
   
Made in us
Raging Ravener





philadelphia

I am thankful for the price raise because at least I don't live in Australia.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 20:53:56


 
   
Made in gb
Fighter Ace




England

 Overread wrote:
 Tamereth wrote:
GW have announced price rises and an edition change in one week. All at a time when the world is crashing into the largest recession for 100 years when huge numbers of people are out of work.

They really must think a small number of "whale" customers are going to carry them.


GW has already invested in all the releases for the next year - many are already sitting there with millions invested into moulds. GW can't NOT release 9th edition. They can't just put it on hold. Even if it sells less they can't just wait it out.


But did we need a new edition yet anyway. Changing rule sets every three years is ridiculous.

And how do you explain away the price rise of 400+ items this week. Given the situation how do they think their customer base is going to react to that.

it's the quiet ones you have to look out for. Their the ones that change the world, the loud ones just take the credit for it. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Tamereth wrote:


And how do you explain away the price rise of 400+ items this week. Given the situation how do they think their customer base is going to react to that.


Honestly from what I can see the customerbase online has reacted exactly the same way its reacted before. It's actually basically normal reactions.

I've not seen anyone making big sudden shifts in their attitude on the whole. Those who are on the out were those generally on the out before the price rise - those on the in are still on the in if perhaps complaining that they can't collect 10 armies and are cutting down or planning on cutting down to a few. It's the same thing we've seen with other price rise discussions.

Now the current climate might create more pressure, but it will be hard to tell from sales alone who has reduced because of the price rise and who is reducing simply because of the current financial climate irrespective of prices rises.

It's also important to note that these rises dn't really move the costs of an army very far from what they were before. Sure things have gone up, but we are talking small numbers (comparatively speaking).



As a comparison I've watched camera gear that I've desired creep up from prices like £3K to £6K and more for a single lens. Those are BIG shifts in value that make a huge impact on who can and cannot afford. It's not just a small price rise, its a full shift several bands higher for the vast majority.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Charleston, SC, USA

I caught wind of this news from a group text this morning, so popped over to GW to look at pricing. It would be $180 for two tactical squads and two rhinos. Plus a codex and an HQ
just to get started.

That's just unfathomable to me. I have entire armies and terrain for huge convention games I run that cost less than that altogether.


Looking back, I really wonder how I ever afforded it in the first place.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: