Switch Theme:

We was made ta fight an’ win! - 9th Edition Ork Tactics  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





 G00fySmiley wrote:
on the app ... yea if GW made the monthly fee include updating codexes i would happily pay for it and pay more than they currently charge, as it stands i don't see the value.

As for the codex I will grab the box set as soon as i can with the codex... and maybe some charming intelligent Mal'al worshiper will frantically stay up to update battlescribe files as quick as their little typo prone fingers can manage


Waahapedia is also fairly decent for that sort of reference work. Do you find it of any use?
   
Made in cz
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Prague

In any case, GW is in the breaking point period regarding their business model. Remeber - warhammer is the child of 80s. No internet. No 3d print making 3rd company parts easy. No 3d print making homeprint easy. No online multiplayer games. Time of pure buy&bring home a box busiess models vs. todays “make subscription for anything”. No Customers requiring working apps with data servises. Oh yes and no “creater your own online game from scratch softwares” like TTS.

All this is brand new terrain and the terrain is still moving. GW created a marvelous game and marvelous universe with bold bunch of stories behind. And makes a great models. And great communities. In fact, they created original typology - warhammer shop selling the stuff, which is a game room for free for anybody in the same time.

So there are all the costs on their side still valid - design& develop of the game, models and universe, game clubs, tournaments,….
But their income source is under heavy fire. Printed books with the rules? Printed books at all? Expensive plastic models?

I hope they find the way how to manage it. I believe, the “one app rule them all” with the rules etc. charged monthly, GW shop with models for your own 3D print, shop with the 3D models on Steam and official online version of TTS etc. is the future.

So you can kitbash your models from huge offer of various parts and play the same model IRL and in GW-TTS in the same time. And as a shareholded, I hope the heads of GW see it to and working on it.

Anyway, this is little bit out of topic, isn' t it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/23 05:48:03


8000pt 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





I have a narrative game against a friend tonight but still don't want to get flattened and was just wondering what people thought the best size for mobs of Boyz on foot was? Playing 1500 points and I'm using deffskulls. Was thinking of one big mob of 30 baked up by Mek with KFF and painboy and then 2 smaller mobs of around 15 each to just sit on objectives and be annoying.
   
Made in cz
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Prague

Back to the topic - Da Propa Brutal and Kunnyn Ork Tactic.

My Mekshop produced inscale drawings of the missions incl some stats to make a plans. Helps me to think about the gameplans and secondaries. I hope you find it useful.

Do you know, some of the deploys are almost twice as big as another one? And watch the “ 12” from enemy deploy” zone… some secondaries has bigger chance in some mission obviously. Which is nothing super new I know, but see it so with hard numbers and facts, it' s pretty i teresting for me.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
And some older “how can you screen the field againts 9” with Mek gunz or Buggies” pictures
[Thumb - B4FD049C-C612-416E-9F4E-293979AE4FAC.png]

[Thumb - BDD14F58-B46C-4AC6-A6E1-F86C746FC368.png]

[Thumb - 64CAB40D-DBE0-4754-AD3B-38E2521155F2.jpeg]

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/06/23 06:15:57


8000pt 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!






Tomsug, those look cool, but what do the numbers mean?

I have a blog on the Warhammer Tournaments website:

Too much plasma can be cheesy

My painting and modeling blog:

PaddyMick's Chopshop: Converted 40K Vehicles 
   
Made in cz
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Prague

 PaddyMick wrote:
Tomsug, those look cool, but what do the numbers mean?

Priority = number of objectives to hold to score primary VP
Deploy = size of the deployment square inches
Engage T1 = in ho many quaters can 12”M unit come in T1 to score Engage. Some misions are obviously more specific then other.
Green lines = 6” center and 6” from edge of other quater and 12” from enemy deploy

Second picture = distances, mostly showing how dar is it in T1 to enemy deploy - T1 charge and “in opponent deploy” secondaries

Third picture - red lines 9” screen, blue is the shooting range, etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/23 08:32:25


8000pt 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Sheridan, WY

Rogerio134134 wrote:
I have a narrative game against a friend tonight but still don't want to get flattened and was just wondering what people thought the best size for mobs of Boyz on foot was? Playing 1500 points and I'm using deffskulls. Was thinking of one big mob of 30 baked up by Mek with KFF and painboy and then 2 smaller mobs of around 15 each to just sit on objectives and be annoying.


The Mek with KFF isn't really worth it when running deffskullz since you already have an inherent 6++ and the KFF is only vs shooting. The painboy is only really worth it if you have a weirdboy (or ghaz) to heal. I usually run both a warboss on foot and a warboss on bike w/ deffskullz.

If I'm foot slogging Boyz it's only ever blobs of 30 for the extra attacks and greentide. Boyz are too squishy. I'd recommend lots of meganobz with deffskullz horde. S4 Boyz aren't very killy.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






cody.d. wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
on the app ... yea if GW made the monthly fee include updating codexes i would happily pay for it and pay more than they currently charge, as it stands i don't see the value.

As for the codex I will grab the box set as soon as i can with the codex... and maybe some charming intelligent Mal'al worshiper will frantically stay up to update battlescribe files as quick as their little typo prone fingers can manage


Waahapedia is also fairly decent for that sort of reference work. Do you find it of any use?


i'll have to check it out after work but will do so. I currently use battelscribe and just buy codexes. I still want to give GW monetary incentive to keep doing rules i just would rather do so digitally and them to realize there is a lot of money to be made that way rather than just raising prices on plastic. I don't think many 40k, 30k, or sigmar players would bat an eye at a $10 a month app for all the rules.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
Gangly Grot Rebel




Got a match against ad mech
Ive got 90 boyz, 6 meganobz in trukk, 15 tankbustas in battlewagon and 4 mek gunz

He will play lucius. Im done? Do i have any chance???

Orks 5000p 
   
Made in fr
Mutilatin' Mad Dok






Kebabcito wrote:
Got a match against ad mech
Ive got 90 boyz, 6 meganobz in trukk, 15 tankbustas in battlewagon and 4 mek gunz

He will play lucius. Im done? Do i have any chance???


What are your HQs ? It will most def be a VERY uphill battle my green friend

Ere we go ere we go ere we go
Corona Givin’ Umies Da good ol Krulpin they deserve huh huh 
   
Made in au
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





Gonna put this out there. I played against a Custodes player in a 1K tourney last weekend. Took a goff green tide. Yes failing charges in the first turn even with Da jump and a few good runs didn't help but he had the firepower to absolutely shred my boyz. And I always thought they were meant to struggle against hordes.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Sheridan, WY

Gotta slow play custodes man. You aren't gonna kill a lot of them. Play board control and focus on obsec units. Jumping 1st round is a no no.
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

cody.d. wrote:
Gonna put this out there. I played against a Custodes player in a 1K tourney last weekend. Took a goff green tide. Yes failing charges in the first turn even with Da jump and a few good runs didn't help but he had the firepower to absolutely shred my boyz. And I always thought they were meant to struggle against hordes.


At 1K custodes should definitely struggle against hordes, to counter 90 boys he probably had tons of bikes, which is a skewed list. But you also played a skewed list, that's the rock/paper/scissor attitude that comes with tournaments.
   
Made in dk
Dakka Veteran




Danmark

most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 08:35:05


Hope, is the first step on the road to disappointment.

- About Dawn of War 3 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

Beardedragon wrote:


No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn.


I agree, but at the same time no army should 1-shot something like a knight in the shooting phase. Unfortunately that's not how GW designed the game.

What should defininitely be avoided is having armies than can 1-shot a knight AND kill 60 boyz in the same turn.

+1T on orks means nothing without seeing the whole picture. While the buff seems good now it's entirely possible that the new boyz will be worse than the current ones, even less durable if they become too expensive.


 
   
Made in fr
Mutilatin' Mad Dok






 Blackie wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:


No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn.


I agree, but at the same time no army should 1-shot something like a knight in the shooting phase. Unfortunately that's not how GW designed the game.

What should defininitely be avoided is having armies than can 1-shot a knight AND kill 60 boyz in the same turn.

+1T on orks means nothing without seeing the whole picture. While the buff seems good now it's entirely possible that the new boyz will be worse than the current ones, even less durable if they become too expensive.


I agree, but don't forget ap-1 is coming along WITH the toughness 5 increase. Both are well deserved, but the more I think about it, the less I see boyz staying 8 ppm. And we don't want to be the new broken (or at least meta shaping) faction now, do we ?

Ere we go ere we go ere we go
Corona Givin’ Umies Da good ol Krulpin they deserve huh huh 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

I don't know. To me boyz should always have been T5 and AP-1 to justify their 8ppm cost. I'd charge +1/2ppm for skarboyz instead, like trueborns for drukhari.

Standard boyz are pretty trash outside goffs buffs. And Greentide stratagem will likely go.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Jidmah wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.


Me too. I played that list in 5th .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 10:43:15



 
   
Made in dk
Dakka Veteran




Danmark

 Jidmah wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.


i didnt play back then

Hope, is the first step on the road to disappointment.

- About Dawn of War 3 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Jidmah wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.


Back when the KFF gave cover saves (good god were Heldrakes scary for us back at the start of 6th) instead of invulns and the PK Nob did all the work in close combat compared to the boyz, good times. I miss bosspoles doing something too tbh.

   
Made in nl
Been Around the Block




 Jidmah wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.


I wish I could experience this...
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






pepi55 wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
most factions can easily deal with hordes. Which is why boys going T5 is deserved.

No army should, in the shooting phase, lay waste to like 60 boys in one turn. A horde should die out over turns, not be basically done in turn 2. Shooting damage potential is so insane in this game and the rewards for going in to close combat are often not as high as the ability to just sit and shoot well, as long as you have some decent melee combatants to support.


Do you remember the times when 9 kanz and 80 boyz with two KFFs were too many models to kill over the course of a game?

Jidmah remembers.


I wish I could experience this...


I mean you technically still can, the 5th ed rules are likely all over the net as a pdf of some sort and same with the Ork codex, if you can find someone to do a retro game with you, you can somewhat relive the years before reroll bubbles and super damage spikes existed.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




i'll be honest, I hated the boss pole with a passion. I can't remember how many times I had to re-glue that fiddly little thing back onto my nobz.

As far as 9th edition codex goes, I am leaning more towards GW giving boyz a ridiculous price increase that will make them functionally useless. The problem with doing that is that all our "specialist" troops are based on a boyz profile so they will likely see a similar points increase and when our weapons get "buffed" we get yet another price increase. Anyone ready to pay 25ppm for a 3 shot loota? I know I'm not.

 Xenomancers wrote:
It is utterly idiotic...like 8.5 ironhands idiotic to include this rule. I can assure you within 1 month it will be nerfed too...to only be DA characters...which is fine for a free rule that no other marines get...

Just cant stand these snow flake marines anymore.
 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






SemperMortis wrote:
i'll be honest, I hated the boss pole with a passion. I can't remember how many times I had to re-glue that fiddly little thing back onto my nobz.

As far as 9th edition codex goes, I am leaning more towards GW giving boyz a ridiculous price increase that will make them functionally useless. The problem with doing that is that all our "specialist" troops are based on a boyz profile so they will likely see a similar points increase and when our weapons get "buffed" we get yet another price increase. Anyone ready to pay 25ppm for a 3 shot loota? I know I'm not.


Oh gork, now you got me thinking of how they'll INFLATE the price of a burna boy. It's so funny that it's probably going to happen. Lootas and Burnas haven't been competitively relevant for the longest time now, so I guess they may as well double down. I bet you a penny-squig that burnas are also flat 3 shots but they'll keep the 8" range rather than the new 12" everyone else gets. WOOO
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Sheridan, WY

The just updated a bunch of the forgeworld items from "temporarily out of stock" to "no longer available".

Kustom Stompa
Meka Dread
Warboss on bike
Grot mega tank

Anyone know if they do this when they are phasing out units from the FWC?
   
Made in us
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Nebraska, USA

Burnas are even less valuable in the new codex if they arent revamped since now the base choppa has ap1.
The whole point of a burna is it was a flamer that had an AP2 melee profile.
Yeah im not paying 3x the price for AP2 melee as it is when its +2 ap compared to choppas, definitely not when its +1 ap lol
Even if the burna goes 12" (expected) and gains AP1 in shooting (not expected), pass lol

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

14000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
6000pts Admech/Knights
7500pts Necron Goldboys 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Vineheart01 wrote:
Burnas are even less valuable in the new codex if they arent revamped since now the base choppa has ap1.
The whole point of a burna is it was a flamer that had an AP2 melee profile.
Yeah im not paying 3x the price for AP2 melee as it is when its +2 ap compared to choppas, definitely not when its +1 ap lol
Even if the burna goes 12" (expected) and gains AP1 in shooting (not expected), pass lol


I completely forgot that their weapons profile is actually worse now with the choppa update. Geeez, poor guys can't catch a break. They need burnas to effectively become power swords in CC or have a bespoke rule of gaining +1D and rerolling failed wound rolls against vehicles to even be worth taking against stuff.
   
Made in dk
Dakka Veteran




Danmark

BDBurrow wrote:
The just updated a bunch of the forgeworld items from "temporarily out of stock" to "no longer available".

Kustom Stompa
Meka Dread
Warboss on bike
Grot mega tank

Anyone know if they do this when they are phasing out units from the FWC?


they better not feth with the Grot mega tank because i just bought 3 of them.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Vineheart01 wrote:
Burnas are even less valuable in the new codex if they arent revamped since now the base choppa has ap1.
The whole point of a burna is it was a flamer that had an AP2 melee profile.
Yeah im not paying 3x the price for AP2 melee as it is when its +2 ap compared to choppas, definitely not when its +1 ap lol
Even if the burna goes 12" (expected) and gains AP1 in shooting (not expected), pass lol


Its even worse my friends

In CC A single boy vs a T4 3+ save model gets 3 attacks, 2 hits, 1 wound and 0.33dmg
A Burna Boy got 2 attacks, 1.33 hits, 0.66 wounds and 0.44dmg.

A boy is 8ppm and a burnaboy is 11. So the Boy is doing 0.04125 dmg per point The Burna boy is doing 0.04 Technically at a very small level the boy is MORE points efficient than the Burna at CC.

Now? Assuming no price increases? That boy is doing 0.5dmg or 0.0625 dmg per point and the burna is still doing 0.04 so the Boy is now 50% more effective in CC than a Burnaboy armed with a defacto power sword. And that is before you even get into the inherent benefits of boyz over burnaboyz. IE +1 attack w/20+ boyz, better leadership, more bang for your buck when you buff with Warpath etc.

At the moment, a Burnaboy is literally worse than a choppa boy in basically every scenario. Its shorter range than a pistol, averages 2 hits a turn but it cant shoot in CC which is where it really wants to be with its -2AP CCW...except that it lacks any real reason to be there because a choppa boy is still better. And durability wise, you can take 4 ork boyz for every 3 Burnaboyz.

 Xenomancers wrote:
It is utterly idiotic...like 8.5 ironhands idiotic to include this rule. I can assure you within 1 month it will be nerfed too...to only be DA characters...which is fine for a free rule that no other marines get...

Just cant stand these snow flake marines anymore.
 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






SemperMortis wrote:
i'll be honest, I hated the boss pole with a passion. I can't remember how many times I had to re-glue that fiddly little thing back onto my nobz.

As far as 9th edition codex goes, I am leaning more towards GW giving boyz a ridiculous price increase that will make them functionally useless. The problem with doing that is that all our "specialist" troops are based on a boyz profile so they will likely see a similar points increase and when our weapons get "buffed" we get yet another price increase. Anyone ready to pay 25ppm for a 3 shot loota? I know I'm not.


From mathing out the PL of the beast snagga box, beast snaggas will absolutely not be more than 11ppm, most like 9 or 10. Choppa boyz will be 1 or 2 points less than those.

I can totally see them keeping boyz at 8 but axing the green tide stratagems and scarboyz to compensate.

As for lootas - in my recent silly trukk horde game I had two units of 9 with klever spanna (because it's just 1 CP that way) and they worked surprisingly well, even without grot shield and shoot twice. That said AP-1 is still a rather big problem. I would be very surprised if they go up in points.

A nerf I do see coming from a mile away though is tank bustas - rokkit pistols and tankhammers will become mandatory, and the beast snagga riders are already advertised as tank hunters.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Vineheart01 wrote:
Burnas are even less valuable in the new codex if they arent revamped since now the base choppa has ap1.
The whole point of a burna is it was a flamer that had an AP2 melee profile.
Yeah im not paying 3x the price for AP2 melee as it is when its +2 ap compared to choppas, definitely not when its +1 ap lol
Even if the burna goes 12" (expected) and gains AP1 in shooting (not expected), pass lol


Burnas need to go to 2 damage in melee - that would give them back their purpose as marine killers.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Beardedragon wrote:
BDBurrow wrote:
The just updated a bunch of the forgeworld items from "temporarily out of stock" to "no longer available".

Kustom Stompa
Meka Dread
Warboss on bike
Grot mega tank

Anyone know if they do this when they are phasing out units from the FWC?


they better not feth with the Grot mega tank because i just bought 3 of them.


Don't buy FW stuff unless you really like the model. It will eventually all be gone. 80% of the ork units have already disappeared.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/06/24 15:02:12


Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: