Switch Theme:

[40K] Kill Team News & Rumours page 125 : commander expansion  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in se
Regular Dakkanaut





I am curious whether the dice in the box set have Admech and Genestealer Cult symbols on them?
   
Made in fi
Stealthy Space Wolves Scout





In SWA lists were 1000pts with 5-10 models. No reason to assume KT uses point values from 40k.

Anyway I hope it's a tight and BALANCED ruleset. I can already see KT as an excuse to dabble into many factions for which I don't want a big army but always wanted to paint a few minis.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/12 09:54:23


7000+
3000
2000 
   
Made in de
Inspiring Icon Bearer






Dudeface wrote:
Blastaar wrote:
Neronoxx wrote:
They've stated that this is a completely new rule set, from the ground up.
We need some actual previews


GW has said that KT uses a new ruleset. But the presence of stratagems strongly suggests that is not the case. I think it is more likely that KT is really 8th edition with some tweaks and additions. Some substantive rules previews would be nice regardless.


The way they present the stratagems is actually closer to Sigmar or perhaps a blend of the 2.


If they say it's completely new, there's really no reason at this point to doubt the rules were specifically written for Kill Team. That said, realistically there's not much difference between 40k 8th ed and Age of Sigmar. It's realistic to expect that the Kill Team rules are very familiar if you know the other two games, since they're still written by the same guys for the same miniatures on the same tables with the same terrain.

Doesn't mean the points cost should or will be similar, though.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut




We know at least two pretty big differences with 40K: alternate activation and a cover system that changes to-hit rolls.I think they also mentioned a pre-game phase where you booby trap terrain pieces and stuff.
There's a lot of new terrain coming, with different kill-zones and corresponding rules (maybe a bit like AoS's realms?), so there's clearly a big emphasis on interactions with terrain, something that 40K is sorely lacking.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 Geifer wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
Blastaar wrote:
Neronoxx wrote:
They've stated that this is a completely new rule set, from the ground up.
We need some actual previews


GW has said that KT uses a new ruleset. But the presence of stratagems strongly suggests that is not the case. I think it is more likely that KT is really 8th edition with some tweaks and additions. Some substantive rules previews would be nice regardless.


The way they present the stratagems is actually closer to Sigmar or perhaps a blend of the 2.


If they say it's completely new, there's really no reason at this point to doubt the rules were specifically written for Kill Team. That said, realistically there's not much difference between 40k 8th ed and Age of Sigmar. It's realistic to expect that the Kill Team rules are very familiar if you know the other two games, since they're still written by the same guys for the same miniatures on the same tables with the same terrain.

Doesn't mean the points cost should or will be similar, though.

Then again the rules are written by the same people who wrote warhammer underworld: shadespire. Which play completely different from AoS or 40k

 
   
Made in se
Regular Dakkanaut



Sweden

Yeah me thinking KT is a completely fresh rule set but with a lot of 40k DNA ofc.
Basically if they could do 40K from their best experiences today, without catering to any existing playerbase which does not take changes lightly, this how we like to do it. Nothing to lose really.
   
Made in de
Inspiring Icon Bearer






terry wrote:
 Geifer wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
Blastaar wrote:
Neronoxx wrote:
They've stated that this is a completely new rule set, from the ground up.
We need some actual previews


GW has said that KT uses a new ruleset. But the presence of stratagems strongly suggests that is not the case. I think it is more likely that KT is really 8th edition with some tweaks and additions. Some substantive rules previews would be nice regardless.


The way they present the stratagems is actually closer to Sigmar or perhaps a blend of the 2.


If they say it's completely new, there's really no reason at this point to doubt the rules were specifically written for Kill Team. That said, realistically there's not much difference between 40k 8th ed and Age of Sigmar. It's realistic to expect that the Kill Team rules are very familiar if you know the other two games, since they're still written by the same guys for the same miniatures on the same tables with the same terrain.

Doesn't mean the points cost should or will be similar, though.

Then again the rules are written by the same people who wrote warhammer underworld: shadespire. Which play completely different from AoS or 40k


No doubt, but Shadespire is a board game (or one of those card games (with miniatures this time) that I don't know a thing about, not even what they're called) and for instance you can see a pretty big departure from the feel of GW's tabletop games with the movement rate of 1-3 hexes. I wouldn't expect any such thing for Kill Team, although to be honest I hope they actually decrease movement and weapon ranges a little because 22"x30" seems pretty cramped to me.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 _Ness wrote:
Can any1 translate the prices to € ?? Simply converting currencies is quite difficult for gw products.

Because you don't do currency conversions, as illogical as that may sound. GW doesn't just translate the currency difference 1:1. They have price bands that items fall under.

Find an item with the price you're looking at on the webstore for the region where the prices are from and then look for that same item in your native webstore.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/12 12:09:16


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



West Midlands

Messiah wrote:
I am curious whether the dice in the box set have Admech and Genestealer Cult symbols on them?


I doubt it, they normally box up some sub-par dice, and then you are free to buy the fancy new ones after the fact.
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Messiah wrote:
I am curious whether the dice in the box set have Admech and Genestealer Cult symbols on them?


They do not. They are in a black and orange color scheme that matches the Kill Team theme on the box and rulebook.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




 Geifer wrote:
terry wrote:
 Geifer wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
Blastaar wrote:
Neronoxx wrote:
They've stated that this is a completely new rule set, from the ground up.
We need some actual previews


GW has said that KT uses a new ruleset. But the presence of stratagems strongly suggests that is not the case. I think it is more likely that KT is really 8th edition with some tweaks and additions. Some substantive rules previews would be nice regardless.


The way they present the stratagems is actually closer to Sigmar or perhaps a blend of the 2.


If they say it's completely new, there's really no reason at this point to doubt the rules were specifically written for Kill Team. That said, realistically there's not much difference between 40k 8th ed and Age of Sigmar. It's realistic to expect that the Kill Team rules are very familiar if you know the other two games, since they're still written by the same guys for the same miniatures on the same tables with the same terrain.

Doesn't mean the points cost should or will be similar, though.

Then again the rules are written by the same people who wrote warhammer underworld: shadespire. Which play completely different from AoS or 40k


No doubt, but Shadespire is a board game (or one of those card games (with miniatures this time) that I don't know a thing about, not even what they're called) and for instance you can see a pretty big departure from the feel of GW's tabletop games with the movement rate of 1-3 hexes. I wouldn't expect any such thing for Kill Team, although to be honest I hope they actually decrease movement and weapon ranges a little because 22"x30" seems pretty cramped to me.


I don't think that will be the case. Because you are dealing with strictly infantry, the movement rates will already be slower for anything but nids and space elves. Also I think they are going for a fast, get stuck in feel with quick game time. The amount of terrain on the board is what is going to limit weapon ranges by limiting LOS.

Even if the game is based off 8th in concept, I think there are enough other changes like alt activation and such that will make it a different experience. I could see the point cost for things being a little more so that it could scale the difference in builds better. 40K has to scale between Knights and guardsmen, where KT will only scale between infantry units.
   
Made in ca
Unhealthy Competition With Other Legions






So the ork and marine kill teams are both around $75 CAD, while their value is way off.

The primaris and their terrain piece are worth $100 CAD separately, while the burnas and their terrain is worth $80 CAD. One of these are way better value lol

5,000 Raven Guard
3,000 Night Lords  
   
Made in us
Dangerous Outrider






fresus wrote:
We know at least two pretty big differences with 40K: alternate activation and a cover system that changes to-hit rolls.I think they also mentioned a pre-game phase where you booby trap terrain pieces and stuff.
There's a lot of new terrain coming, with different kill-zones and corresponding rules (maybe a bit like AoS's realms?), so there's clearly a big emphasis on interactions with terrain, something that 40K is sorely lacking.


Another change from SWA is no templates.. so the rules will be more in line with 8th edition it sounds.

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





TN/AL/MS state line.

 Carnikang wrote:
 Irbis wrote:
Old, badly painted models, with (half of the time) illegal loadouts and pretentious names.

Yup, it's Phil Kelly all right

One thing of note, though, unless he screwed up list building again, only 4 models suggest Tyranid Warrior costs about the same as Lictor in KT, given the upper limit from WC. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't Warriors much less expensive in 40K?


What? Illegal loadouts? Explain.

Also, Warriors are cheaper in 40K because they come in squads, and are a troop choice, with lots of weapon and biomorph options. Lictors come stock and are cheap as dirt for an Elite Slot.

Back in the 4th Edition codex you could double up on ranged weapons(Devourers/Barbed Stranglers) to give them Twin-Linked, or two different ranged weapons on Warriors. Phil Kelly has a few models that date from that era, plus he’s got a few oddballs here and there that don’t really have an explanation other than “rule of cool”.

Black Bases and Grey Plastic Forever:My quaint little hobby blog.

40k- The Kumunga Swarm (more)
Count Mortimer’s Private Security Force/Excavation Team (building)
Kabal of the Grieving Widow (less)

Plus other games- miniature and cardboard both. 
   
Made in vn
Dakka Veteran




https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/12/12th-july-kill-team-focus-drukharigw-homepage-post-1/

Only 2 Unit choice.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Connecticut

Well, I thought AM was disappointing, but this is even worse.

Blood Angels, Custodes, Tzeentch, Alpha Legion, Astra Militarum, Deathwatch, Thousand Sons, Imperial Knights, Tau.

I have a problem.

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary doesn't make you unique, it makes you annoying.

 Purifier wrote:
Using your rules isn't being a dick.
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





TN/AL/MS state line.


Aw shucks. I was really hoping to run my Scourges in KT. Maybe they’ll be some sort of upgrade in the main rules.

Black Bases and Grey Plastic Forever:My quaint little hobby blog.

40k- The Kumunga Swarm (more)
Count Mortimer’s Private Security Force/Excavation Team (building)
Kabal of the Grieving Widow (less)

Plus other games- miniature and cardboard both. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Kinda what I expected, since nobody got bikers/jumppacks/jetpacks.

I'm even more sure now that CWE is just Rangers/Guardians/DAs. Less sure we're even getting DAs, though.
   
Made in fi
Librarian with Freaky Familiar






They seem to be avoiding any sort of jump or bike troops. Due the small size of the gaming area, this is probably a good idea. Lack of Mandrakes and Wracks is disappointing though.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Connecticut

The terrain in the game appears to be enormous, especially when compared to the models within it. I'd wager a 1-2 Jump pack and 1 Biker unit rule would have fit in perfectly.

Blood Angels, Custodes, Tzeentch, Alpha Legion, Astra Militarum, Deathwatch, Thousand Sons, Imperial Knights, Tau.

I have a problem.

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary doesn't make you unique, it makes you annoying.

 Purifier wrote:
Using your rules isn't being a dick.
 
   
Made in us
Glorious Grot Banna Wava




"Despite them having a basically brand new, packed with options and generally awesome plastic kit, and despite us forcing everyone who wanted to play any Coven units to buy at least one box of them with the new codex, we have decided you know what, feth wracks.

No wracks for you."
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut



Southampton, UK

Would definitely have expected to see Mandrakes in there. Not so much Wracks as aren't they meant to be fairly mindless slaves?
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

I am pretty surprised about Wracks not being allowed. Yes, they are on the elite side of things, but it still seems like they should be allowed. Hellions would be neat, but so far we don't have anyone with a special movement mode, so they are out. I guess Tau will probably just be Fire Warriors and Pathfinders.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in us
Glorious Grot Banna Wava




pgmason wrote:
Would definitely have expected to see Mandrakes in there. Not so much Wracks as aren't they meant to be fairly mindless slaves?


No, not at all.

Wracks are dark eldar who want to become haemonculi, so they allow the haemonculi to modify their bodies and do their bidding and such for a chance to either kill their masters or become haemonculi in their own right.

They actually work really really perfectly for kill team both fluffwise and kit wise, because their kit has like 8 different melee weapon options, 2 special ranged guns, and 3 special sarge guns, all in the kit. And it makes more sense for a small team of wracks to be out hunting to kidnap some priority target than it does for a whole army of them to be running around.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Baton Rouge, LA

It also would have been a good excuse to put them back into regular retail and not Direct Only.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

I sent GW a message regarding Wracks. I agree with the_scotsman, as aspiring Haemonculi, they seem like they would be absolutely perfect for Kill Team.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut




Mandrakes are finecast with no options, so were not a very likely choice.
Wracks are plastic with multiple weapon options and great conversion potential. I'm also quite shocked they're not there, especially since DE only have 2 units.

So far we have a very very limited unit choice. I understand they will release more in the future (and maybe go the "codex" way where you have to buy a book to unlock the other units from your faction), but such restrictions are only okay if it means we get pretty decent balance.
If they really playtested the stuff, and we actually have a good game, then it's a sensible choice. Not necessarily what I prefer (I would like more options, even if it means a slightly worse ruleset), but something I can understand.
If it's not better than normal 40K, then it's a huge missed opportunity.

I heard staff training already started for KT. Did anyone hear anything from a GW staff member?
   
Made in vn
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





Are people supporting that Less options = better balance?
   
Made in gb
Slippery Ultramarine Scout Biker





Stevenage, UK

This thread is great, so many people assuming that GW is telling us everything about every faction in each focus article.....

It seems more likely there will be 1 or 2 additional options for each faction that they've not mentioned. That way for all the over-eager people who build a Kill-Team based on the articles there's going to be a reason to buy another box too.

Rik
   
Made in us
Winged Kroot Vulture





Hm, despite some let downs I think DE could be a fun force to play right off. I like what I have seen with their tactics and more importantly gives me an idea of what we might see for Harlequins.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: