Switch Theme:

Warhammer+ GW's Video on Demand channel coming soon  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Sim-Life wrote:
Its unfortunately a slang term for lady parts in some places in Scotland so I can't take his post seriously.
And now I've learnt two things.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Sarouan wrote:
If you have a Rooster Teeth subscription, then you lost all credibility here as criticizer. Most of their videos are stupid gak you find for free on youtube, with a worse video player. And their good animations can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
And most of what GW is doing with W+ is available for free on YouTube... so... ?



So if you live with Rooster subscription while knowing that, then I don't see why you keep wondering about how it can't work with Warhammer + because "there are things that can be found for free".

Well, I mean, I know why, it's because you're a GW hater and not a Rooster Teeth hater (even if Rooster Teeth did really bad things to their employees in the past).

So that's why you lost your credibility as criticizer here. You clearly have two different standards just because of the brand.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 16:00:49


 
   
Made in at
Discriminating Warrior





Austria

 Sim-Life wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:

P.S. I had to look up what 'FUD' meant. I've learnt something today. Thanks.

Its unfortunately a slang term for lady parts in some places in Scotland so I can't take his post seriously.

in Austria as well, so don't know what to think about this

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Villanous Scum







Back on Topic please.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Japan's more a corporate dystopia than America is (yet), so under japanese law Nintendo can get away with things like silencing reviews because japan lacks fair use rules.

Except they're doing it on american Youtube, thanks to american law. There is no corporate dystopia that can rival Amazonland.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 17:20:06


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Seabass wrote:
stratigo wrote:
Seabass wrote:
This thread is a wonderful example of people hating just to hate.

Somehow, GW went from "this is (nominally) better than I thought it would be", minus a few hard corps detractors that are going to gak on GW regardless of what they do, to "GW will copyright strike the universe and the mere EXISTENCE of W+ is going to destroy the hobby based on...ya know...feels and stuff".

And, here is the kicker, maybe it does. maybe in the future, GW does copyright strike every battle report creator and painting channel under the sun, and then start offering entire armies that would only be available to W+ subscribers. Maybe they do, maybe someday thats what it comes down to.

But that isn't what's happening today. Today, we have their service announced in more detail with a framework behind what is going to be available with the service. I get it, hell, everyone here gets it, you all want them to die, you want GW drug into the street and shot, whole on execution style for the slights they have placed upon you and the damage that has been done to your life by the evil bastards at GW.

I get it, I'm sure most do.

And there are lots of things to rip on GW for, as this quagmire of a forum is well known to discuss, ad nauseum, but you don't *ACTUALLY* have to make gak up to do it.

Many in this thread have gone so far beyond discussing this service that the blatant fear-mongering, hysteria, and just outright odious nature of the conversation is groxic.

yup, groxic. the perfect mix between grift and toxic.

drink some concrete and harden up kiddos.


Perhaps if GW didn't dump a raging trashfire in their last digital subscription offering, people would be more into this one. But they made getting into the hobby harder and more expensive to boost a flaming mess of an app that is still a mess. And looking like they will be setting the AoS app on fire too. All to force people to buy hard copies AND sub to get their rules digitally, which is the most feth stupid thing they could do about this.


and what does this have to do with the W+ sub/app? sure, you don't like the change they made because of the cost/availability of rules. that's fine, that's a fair criticism. Hell, I dare say you even HAVE A POINT, but not sure what this has to do with the sub service, other than "its from GW, so therefore, it should die the most horrible and excruciating death possible". Its obvious the streaming service and the WH40k app arent goint to be the same thing. Again, if there is anywhere on the internet where gaking on GW is in vogue, its here, and you dont have to make stuff up to do so (you as in the generic euphamistic you, not you specifically).


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Arbitrator wrote:
£5 seems like an introductionary/loss leader that will eventually get cranked much higher. Obviously they're not alone in this, most streaming services do it, but I'd be surprised if we end up being six months before they talk about raising it to £8, if not higher. £10 im 2022 wouldn't surprise me. By that point people are already used to it, half way into their 'free' model progress, using it as a dedicated army builder, etc.

The whole "but that's as much as you'd spend on X!" argument works in a vacuum, but this isn't the days of Netflix and maybe Warcraft being most people's only real subscription. Just about anybody and everybody has some sort of subscription service and most people are using more than one. A few of my more fanboyish Warhammer friends have already said it's yet another service they'd be paying for on top of all the others and that makes them hesitant. Granted, I'm sure most people would cut something like Hulu or HBO if it meant the Official Games Workshop(tm) Warhammer Plus+(tm) app, but it's still not "just £5" to most people.

I think most battle report channels will be fine as they're ultimately free for one and those with Patreons/MWG's Vault subscriptions are probably people who're quite happy to spread their money around a bit. People who'd pay to watch GW staffers do paint jobs using only Citadel paints and brushes probably weren't followinh Youtube painters in the first place. I imagine Lore Youtubers will be hit quite a bit, but again, their videos are still free and a lot of people who are into 'the lore' side don't even play the game.

Seabass wrote:

yup, groxic. the perfect mix between grift and toxic.

drink some concrete and harden up kiddos.

You need to lookup the definition of grift, booklicker. Grifters are the ones calling literally everything about GW GGLOORRIIOOUUSS because they might get some freebies.


I mean, if we want to go the Merriam-webster route, neither of us are using the term in its strictest sense, as neither of us is jockeying or making illicit attempts to gather resources. However, I think grift, in the common parlance of simply complaining about something for the sake of complaining about that something because it's in vogue to complain about that something, would be relatively accurate here. That said, you do have a point, and allow me to redact and change my previous statement.

yup, Gritch. The perfect mix between a gripe and a bitch.

Better now?

Additionally, I would add that it is hard to be a bootlicker to a company that literally has 0 authority.
none.
GW has no authority over my life. and here is the scary part. they don't have any on yours either. Your "rebel against the evil empire attitude" that seems to be on full display here (again, parsed from the specific use and direction to the term "bootlicker" is rebelling against a toy manufacturer who literally has 0 authority.

You really cant bootlick to someone or something who has no influence on your life in any meaningful way. White Knight, agree, appreciate, zealously defend, ridiculous, blind, willfully ignorant, these are or may even be far more adequate descriptors, but bootlick, quite frankly, there is no one i would even know whos boot to lick.



They are making it harder and more expansive to access their rules BECAUSE of this app. That's the problem with the app. They deliberately make things worse to try and get you to pay in plus pay more for the rules. They are degrading their services to try and get you to pay monthly on top of paying too much for the rules in the first place.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Cronch wrote:
Japan's more a corporate dystopia than America is (yet), so under japanese law Nintendo can get away with things like silencing reviews because japan lacks fair use rules.

Except they're doing it on american Youtube, thanks to american law. There is no corporate dystopia that can rival Amazonland.


They're so aggressive about it because of Japanese laws and business culture.

They get away with it because no youtuber can afford to sue a multi billion dollar company for falsely issuing Cease and Desists.

Also, with the current make up of SCOTUS, it's possible they decide to legislate away fair use from the bench if it ever does go that far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 17:29:32


 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Cronch wrote:
Japan's more a corporate dystopia than America is (yet), so under japanese law Nintendo can get away with things like silencing reviews because japan lacks fair use rules.

Except they're doing it on american Youtube, thanks to american law. There is no corporate dystopia that can rival Amazonland.

I might be missing something here, but why are you dragging Amazon into a discussion of YouTube?

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





They're so aggressive about it because of Japanese laws and business culture.

And that's why Sony does the same...oh wait, they don't.

@Dysartes, I just future-proofed the post for when USA changes name.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Popped in to see what this thread had devolved into, not disappointed.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Cronch wrote:

They're so aggressive about it because of Japanese laws and business culture.

And that's why Sony does the same...oh wait, they don't.

@Dysartes, I just future-proofed the post for when USA changes name.


Some companies have a better handle on foreign markets than others.
   
Made in us
Wicked Ghast




stratigo wrote:
They are making it harder and more expansive to access their rules BECAUSE of this app. That's the problem with the app. They deliberately make things worse to try and get you to pay in plus pay more for the rules. They are degrading their services to try and get you to pay monthly on top of paying too much for the rules in the first place.


Again, what does this have to do with the W+ service?

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't have anything to do with this streaming service. The things you are talking about were going to happen regardless of whether the W+ app and service rolled out.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I mean, it does, doesn't it? Because it's not just a streaming service. They're discontinuing the old, functional AOS app that costs only a buck and replacing it with something they're going to roll into W+ to try to get uptake at 6x the price.
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




 H.B.M.C. wrote:

I can't imagine that you haven't been around long enough to notice that GW does this all the time. They may be the biggest game in town, but they like to pretend that they're the only game in town.


If you don't like then play other games.

It's worked for me for years, but I do play Warcry and sometimes I buy their toys for use in other games.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dysartes wrote:
Cronch wrote:
Japan's more a corporate dystopia than America is (yet), so under japanese law Nintendo can get away with things like silencing reviews because japan lacks fair use rules.

Except they're doing it on american Youtube, thanks to american law. There is no corporate dystopia that can rival Amazonland.

I might be missing something here, but why are you dragging Amazon into a discussion of YouTube?


Perhaps he's a bit confused.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/24 22:26:32


 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

Derek H wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:

I can't imagine that you haven't been around long enough to notice that GW does this all the time. They may be the biggest game in town, but they like to pretend that they're the only game in town.


If you don't like then play other games.


"If you don't love everything GW does, you have no right to play Warhammer or even interact with people who play Warhammer, or state your opinion on Warhammer."

Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

Games Workshop are not your friends. They are not a small dev trying their best. They are a multibillion dollar company making calculated decisions about how many costs they can cut, how lazy they can be about relases, and how much they can paywall. They will do it again. Stop giving them money for this. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Still don't like it, not getting it, paying these greedy buggers even more for stuff I have lived just fine without is not on my agenda.

As for the " Love it or leave it " seemingly straight out of the past mindset regarding GW, yeah the fanboys gonna fanboy. That mentality wasn't right in the past, still not right today and anyone who says love it or leave it should do us all a favor and leave themselves. Blind fanaticism for a product doesn't do it any favors and in fact is something that drags it down making a company blind to its failings over time till it all breaks apart.
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




 Dysartes wrote:
Cronch wrote:
Japan's more a corporate dystopia than America is (yet), so under japanese law Nintendo can get away with things like silencing reviews because japan lacks fair use rules.

Except they're doing it on american Youtube, thanks to american law. There is no corporate dystopia that can rival Amazonland.

I might be missing something here, but why are you dragging Amazon into a discussion of YouTube?


Perhaps he's a bit confused.
   
Made in us
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List





I don't know about all the stuff saying that it'll destroy the hobby or anything, but unless they bring on people who I can trust for battle reports, the only thing I'd be using the thing for is the animations. I hope Astartes guy joined of his own volition, however.

Setek: "My people shackled the stars, and broke mortality when the species you sprang from had barely left the slime pools it spawned in. Our wars burned reality, and the dominion of our kings is without limit. The ground you tread on is not yours; it is ours. "

Ahriman: "The Necrontyr; the sleeping ones"

Setek: "That name is not ours. Why give a name to totality?" 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 TheBestBucketHead wrote:
... but unless they bring on people who I can trust for battle reports, ...

Why do you need to trust the people doing battle reports? What are you trusting them to do?

 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Still don't like it, not getting it, paying these greedy buggers even more for stuff I have lived just fine without is not on my agenda.

As for the " Love it or leave it " seemingly straight out of the past mindset regarding GW, yeah the fanboys gonna fanboy. That mentality wasn't right in the past, still not right today and anyone who says love it or leave it should do us all a favor and leave themselves. Blind fanaticism for a product doesn't do it any favors and in fact is something that drags it down making a company blind to its failings over time till it all breaks apart.


That's a nice straw man you've got there.

GW have been behaving like the multinational public company they are for decades. To expect them to behave any differently because of what you say on the Internet is just stupid. Their sales, profit margin on sales and share price are all higher than they've ever been. They're doing something right. And it doesn't involve listening to you.

Moaning about what you see as their failings isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. They know people like you don't like them as a company, they know you don't like the way they operate and they also know it's highly likely you were never going to buy the product you're moaning about, as you admit, or that you will buy it anyway.

I'm certainly not saying "Love it or Leave it", I'm saying that when people hate it all so much and the way GW behaves causes them so much anguish then perhaps they should consider playing a different game.

It would be good for their mental health and they could save yourself a lot of money. Why stay involved with a part of the miniature wargaming hobby you hate so much?







Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
Derek H wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:

I can't imagine that you haven't been around long enough to notice that GW does this all the time. They may be the biggest game in town, but they like to pretend that they're the only game in town.


If you don't like then play other games.


"If you don't love everything GW does, you have no right to play Warhammer or even interact with people who play Warhammer, or state your opinion on Warhammer."

Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.


I didn't say that. I don't love everything GW does and I don't play Warhammer, though I certainly have the right to do so should I wish. I do play Warcry occasionally and I sometimes state my opinion on Warhammer.

I mostly play non-GW games and I sometimes by GW models and play them in different games. What is your point here?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/06/24 23:29:36


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Seabass wrote:
stratigo wrote:
They are making it harder and more expansive to access their rules BECAUSE of this app. That's the problem with the app. They deliberately make things worse to try and get you to pay in plus pay more for the rules. They are degrading their services to try and get you to pay monthly on top of paying too much for the rules in the first place.


Again, what does this have to do with the W+ service?

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't have anything to do with this streaming service. The things you are talking about were going to happen regardless of whether the W+ app and service rolled out.


I'm confused, have you not watched or read the preview? Or like most of the discussion here? This isn't just a streaming service. They're bundling their rules apps into it.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Derek H wrote:
If you don't like then play other games.
Wow, really. This old line?

And it doesn't even make any sense in context.

When I said "only game in town", it was in a broader, metaphorical sense. I was't specifically referring to 40k. How did you not get that?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/25 00:33:01


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List





 insaniak wrote:
 TheBestBucketHead wrote:
... but unless they bring on people who I can trust for battle reports, ...

Why do you need to trust the people doing battle reports? What are you trusting them to do?


I only need to trust that they won't stage the winner, to try and pretend there's balance in 40k.

Setek: "My people shackled the stars, and broke mortality when the species you sprang from had barely left the slime pools it spawned in. Our wars burned reality, and the dominion of our kings is without limit. The ground you tread on is not yours; it is ours. "

Ahriman: "The Necrontyr; the sleeping ones"

Setek: "That name is not ours. Why give a name to totality?" 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Have GW's battle reports ever been about showing a balanced game?

I mean, I haven't been paying much attention to them in recent years, so honest question there. The GW batreps I'm familiar with from back in the day were largely just whatever models happened to be on hand, or scenario-driven things, and nobody ever saw them as a vehicle for conveying worthwhile strategic information on the game or in any way indicative of game balance.

 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Grot Snipa





Atlanta, GA

 insaniak wrote:
Have GW's battle reports ever been about showing a balanced game?

I mean, I haven't been paying much attention to them in recent years, so honest question there. The GW batreps I'm familiar with from back in the day were largely just whatever models happened to be on hand, or scenario-driven things, and nobody ever saw them as a vehicle for conveying worthwhile strategic information on the game or in any way indicative of game balance.


From what I understand they used to play through the White Dwarf featured battle reports multiple times and then feature the one that maybe told the best narrative story or had some of the best in-game moments. Pretty sure they were never intended to showcase any sort of balance in the game.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






'Stage a winner'? Matched isn't nearly that balanced. If the matchup WAS a close fight that would far more likely be staged than a one-sided affair.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Mr. Grey wrote:
From what I understand they used to play through the White Dwarf featured battle reports multiple times and then feature the one that maybe told the best narrative story or had some of the best in-game moments. Pretty sure they were never intended to showcase any sort of balance in the game.
Or the one where [new product of the month] won.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in at
Discriminating Warrior





Austria

I remember the time were such things were written down in the comments of the WD report:

"we choose this battle from the playtests because we thought it will introduce the new faction the best way, you will recognise that model yx has a different special rule, after playtesting we concluded this was too strong so it was removed in the final version"


My main problem with GW battle-report videos nowadays is that I don't trust them to get the rules right and/or don't use house rules without telling the people in advance
leading to problems because "they should know how to play"

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced Inquisitorial Acolyte




 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Popped in to see what this thread had devolved into, not disappointed.


Been a while since I posted in this forum.. months if not years....

But, unless I missed the sarcasm, glad I'm not the only one that uses this place to check what the bottom half of the hobby is up to
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





mrspadge wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Popped in to see what this thread had devolved into, not disappointed.


Been a while since I posted in this forum.. months if not years....

But, unless I missed the sarcasm, glad I'm not the only one that uses this place to check what the bottom half of the hobby is up to


it amuses me how night and day this place is compared to say.. every community discord I've been in.

there you see stuff like "hmm not sure I'm intreasted personally but an intreasting idea" here it's like "GW IS DOING SOMETHING! THE TIME OF THE APOCLYPSE IS UPON US!"

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced Inquisitorial Acolyte




BrianDavion wrote:
mrspadge wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Popped in to see what this thread had devolved into, not disappointed.


Been a while since I posted in this forum.. months if not years....

But, unless I missed the sarcasm, glad I'm not the only one that uses this place to check what the bottom half of the hobby is up to


it amuses me how night and day this place is compared to say.. every community discord I've been in.

there you see stuff like "hmm not sure I'm intreasted personally but an intreasting idea" here it's like "GW IS DOING SOMETHING! THE TIME OF THE APOCLYPSE IS UPON US!"


Yeah

To try and keep somewhat on the topic of the thread at hand....

I was thinking of cancelling my 40k app, purely because 2 of the units I regularly use in the list builder haven't had their incorrect rules/points updated for a good while...

But then I spotted the community article about warhammer+ and thought it looks pretty solid value for all the backlog stuff alone.... for a couple of quid more than I already paid the 40k app....

So, I'm going to give it a shot. If it disappoints, I'll cancel it. Job done. But its looking like great value for what's being offered, let's wait and see


.....but I'll keep an eye in dakka's forums to see how big the tyre fire gets on the subject
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: