Switch Theme:

Goberts Gubbins - 20 May 22 - 2022= 74 - slightly visible progress on the Elves :D  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Perfect Shot Black Templar Predator Pilot






 gobert wrote:
The Red Hobbit wrote:That's great work on all the BSF terrain and models. I missed out on Ascension but always wanted to pick up the Cultists from that expansion.

Sorry to hear you missed out on Ascension, it has some cool minis, in the cultists bunch. I managed to get all of the expansions apart from No Respite, but I managed to snag all of the minis I need should I ever get to play it.

Ack, meant to say missed out on the 2nd one Escalation. But it's a real bummer since the 3rd main expansion Ascension relies heavily on items from Escalation. I was hoping GW would reprint it but that's very unlikely considering their current release schedule. If I ever see the Escalation cultists stand alone out in the wild I'll probably pick up a set though.
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






youwashock wrote:The terrain continues to impress. The group shots are great fun, too. Seems like someone is missing, though.

Cheers youwashock, and yes Zoaty McZoatface is missing! Him and a couple of Escalation explorers, these 3 plague marines and 2 guardian drones. One day they’ll all be done I promise!
Olthannon wrote:The terrain looks fantastic, really nice work, the whole gang looks cool all together.

Thanks Olthannon, it’s really encouraging me to make more of a diorama with these sets. I’ll add it to the list of projects I suppose
Cap'n Facebeard wrote:BSF Terrain looks great

Thanks Facebeard
Guardling wrote:Nice work on the terrain.
Painting those Nurgle black feels like heresy to me, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them

Well they are heretics! I’ve wanted to do some in black since seeing vyrullax do some and guy from Midwinter Minis do his Bringers of Decay. Rest assured though I’ve already started on some rust and I think I’ll give them some scuffs and scratches on their armour.
MobileSuitRandom wrote:The terrain looks so good! Brings back the sense of wonder I remember having as a kid the first time I saw Space Crusade / HeroQuest in a store, like, how is this a board game AND a little diorama, how can this be?!

Yeah, it’s pretty cool, just wait till I get the doors/portals in for that added hero quest feel! Psst have you seen that hasbro have released a new hero quest?
Viterbi wrote:Great start on the Plague Marines and cool to see a different color scheme. Always nice to see minis where you "know" how they look done in other colors.

Cheers Viterbi, I’m liking the idea of all of my Chaos minis being part of a larger grouping
Ezki wrote:Stunning work with the terrain pieces!
The terrain really brings the models alive!
As others have said, taking that ebay rescue to bits must not have been too easy!
Have not yet rescued any from ebay, but I have had to do so on many of my own models

Thanks Ezki, I’m loving how the terrain looks with minis around it
The Red Hobbit wrote:
 gobert wrote:
The Red Hobbit wrote:That's great work on all the BSF terrain and models. I missed out on Ascension but always wanted to pick up the Cultists from that expansion.

Sorry to hear you missed out on Ascension, it has some cool minis, in the cultists bunch. I managed to get all of the expansions apart from No Respite, but I managed to snag all of the minis I need should I ever get to play it.

Ack, meant to say missed out on the 2nd one Escalation. But it's a real bummer since the 3rd main expansion Ascension relies heavily on items from Escalation. I was hoping GW would reprint it but that's very unlikely considering their current release schedule. If I ever see the Escalation cultists stand alone out in the wild I'll probably pick up a set though.

I too meant Escalation! yes, it’s pretty sad that most of the other expansions rely on Escalation. If you look on the right places you might find the rules and cards for download…. As for the cultists I think they’re part of the new Space Marine Adventures game.

Not much painting, just done brown basecoats on 2 of the plague marines’ metal bits ready for some rustiness. I really came out to confess to buying more minis… I think I have a problem, but the Void Panthers’ First Company now have a Land Raider. In my defence it was about £10 under discounted retail price! Maybe next year I’ll be good?

Thanks for all the comments

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Surrey, BC - Canada

Nice work on the last page gobert.

Cheers,

CB

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






 Captain Brown wrote:
Nice work on the last page gobert.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks Captain, I’ll aim for a similar standard on this page too!

So my Land Raider arrived and I got to building it, though it’ll be a slow build as I’ve decided to paint the interior, so double priming and some masking will be required. I’m tempted to buck the trend of black vehicles and do this one on gold, with the 1st company switching colour schemes on vehicles as well as armour. We’ll see, but either way I’ll use the pale purple-grey interior that I used on the land speeder. I don’t take a pic as I only glued 4 pieces together.

I do have a few pics of the Plague Marines who have had decent progress made on them. I found a good rust tutorial and got an effect that I’m pretty happy with, here are the steps;
1 - Layer Dark Oak
2 - Stipple Bestial Brown liberally

3 - Stipple Wild Rider Red

4 - Sfipple Fire Dragon Bright lightly

5 - Stipple Zandri Dust very lightly

6 - wash with Agrax
7 - Heavy dry brush with Lead Belcher

It doesn’t seem to look as good in the pics as real life, but that probably be chainmail dominating this view and not taking it as well as the weapons and blades. I’ll go back and tidy the gold next, then block out the fleshy parts before I get on with the armour.

Thanks for looking!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






Oh, that's some nice rust. These guys are looking good in the alternate scheme
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Macragge

Death guard are looking ...sick! (cue drum and cymbal flourish) Are you going with black legion plague marines?

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Wisconsin

I’m always up for some Deathguard and these are looking good Gobert. Thanks for sharing your process.
   
Made in fi
Foolproof Falcon Pilot





Finland, Espoo

Good start on the Plague Marines! Always love me some rust effects.
Sometimes it's hard to get them to show in the pictures, but I think you pulled off the effect well.
I have to check that tutorial out and give it a go!

Looking forward to the Land Raider!
Painting the interior will be quite a task (if I remember correctly how the interior looked), but it will bring that extra bit of coolness to the beast of a tank.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/20 09:07:43


   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






youwashock wrote:Oh, that's some nice rust. These guys are looking good in the alternate scheme

Thanks youwashock, they’re really fun to do, just slapping on the paint without too much care at the moment!
brushcommando wrote:Death guard are looking ...sick! (cue drum and cymbal flourish) Are you going with black legion plague marines?

good dad joke, it has to be done, and is usually done by me! Yeah, they’ll be Black Legion Plague Marines, so they’ll tie in with the whole of my Chaos collection.
Yorkright wrote:I’m always up for some Deathguard and these are looking good Gobert. Thanks for sharing your process.

I can’t claim it as my process, but it’s dead simple and I had all the paints pretty much!
Ezki wrote:Good start on the Plague Marines! Always love me some rust effects.
Sometimes it's hard to get them to show in the pictures, but I think you pulled off the effect well.
I have to check that tutorial out and give it a go!

Looking forward to the Land Raider!
Painting the interior will be quite a task (if I remember correctly how the interior looked), but it will bring that extra bit of coolness to the beast of a tank.

Thanks Ezki, your rusty Ork gubbins somewhat gave me the idea to rust these boys up, good luck trying the tutorial, it might be a bit basic for you I wonder if I could fashion a tiny light for the interior so it can be seen other than these WIP shots! It’s a pretty cool model, though I can tell that I’ll need to sort gaps as it looks like it was produced on a less refined moulding machine, a bit like the terrain I have.

The kids are off school, but they’re in holiday club so I can do chores before Christmas… I had an hour to kill between chores this morning so the Plague Marines got some more love. I tidied up the gold areas and decided the flies should be gold. Just about finished washing with Agrax and a bit of Nihilakh Oxide on rivets and flies

1 - layer a mix of Retributor Armour and Gehenna’s gold (mix varies as it’s Nurgle!)

2 - wash Agrax Earthshade
3 - pin wash Nihilakh Oxide on rivets and flies

I think I’ll do a very light dry brush of Leadbelcher and Gehenna’s gold, but leave them mostly dark

You can probably tell with the frequency of updates that I’m enjoying these guys! Hopefully there’ll be more through the week

Thanks for looking and the comments

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/12/20 12:54:12


Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept





Northumberland

Really nice work on the plague marines, the models really suit that black colour. The rust looks great too!

One and a half feet in the hobby


My Adeptus Mechanicus Painting Log:
# The Explorator Fleet of Labrunnia IX #

 
   
Made in fi
Foolproof Falcon Pilot





Finland, Espoo

 gobert wrote:

Thanks Ezki, your rusty Ork gubbins somewhat gave me the idea to rust these boys up, good luck trying the tutorial, it might be a bit basic for you I wonder if I could fashion a tiny light for the interior so it can be seen other than these WIP shots! It’s a pretty cool model, though I can tell that I’ll need to sort gaps as it looks like it was produced on a less refined moulding machine, a bit like the terrain I have.

Glad to give some inspiration!
Basic techniques are the best techniques. The way I usually do most of the rust involves three different shades of brown, one shade of orange and a sponge. One can never learn enough different rust techniques!

A tiny light inside the Land Raider would be a marvellous idea!
Sorry to hear about the possible gaps though.

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Olthannon wrote:Really nice work on the plague marines, the models really suit that black colour. The rust looks great too!

Thanks Olthannon, I feel the black and gold helps them look more sinister!
Ezki wrote:
 gobert wrote:

Snip!

Glad to give some inspiration!
Basic techniques are the best techniques. The way I usually do most of the rust involves three different shades of brown, one shade of orange and a sponge. One can never learn enough different rust techniques!

A tiny light inside the Land Raider would be a marvellous idea!
Sorry to hear about the possible gaps though.

That’s true, 1 down, lots to go for me then! I also now need to find and make a light for the interior! I also need to figure out a way to have tighten the hinge on the assault ramp as the bottoms door keeps flopping down. Has anyone reading this done an opening land raider that has any advice on the ramp hinge?

Another post so soon! I got the gold finished and looking nice and dull, through a dry brush of Gehenna’s gold the Leadbelcher. It worked surprisingly well at taking the gold down a notch;

4 - light dry brush Gehenna’s gold
5 - patchy light dry brush of Leadbelcher

I also made decent progress on the fleshy bits, getting a base down with a mix of skull white and bleached bone, over which I threw some Fyreslayer contrast paint. Any bones got a Zandri dust starter and Guilliman flesh contrast.



After that I decided to crack on with the land raider whilst the contrast dried. It’s starting to take shape and it’s impressively large!

If I’m to paint and illuminate the interior I need to figure out how to stiffen the hinge on the ramp and source a light. Surely Amazon will have an LED and coin battery combination that I can hide under a hatch? One thing I now realise on the model is that the side doors aren’t for marines to exit, one seems to be an entrance and the other a storage compartment with UDTs on the other side. Who knew! No idea how I’d make those doors openable, will have a think about that one!

Thanks for looking and the comments!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






Awesome metal work on those guys. The Land Raider sounds like it will be quite the project. Have fun!
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Really liking the take on the Black Plague marines, it is nice when you get a tutorial (like the rust one) to get your teeth into.

The Land Raider looks like a project and a half, really excited to see how it turns out.

Painting Warhammer 40,000 Conquest a P and M blog : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/763491.page 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Focused Fire Warrior






The nurgly Bois are looking good, the different scheme is working well on them

My hobby ADHD, mostly Necromunda, now turning into regular 40k
Models painted in May: 4
2022 total: 73 
   
Made in au
Ragin' Ork Dreadnought






Albany, Australia

I wonder if a (some?) small magnet(s) on the assault ramps would help to keep it in place (rather than fiddling with the ramp hinge...)

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






youwashock wrote:Awesome metal work on those guys. The Land Raider sounds like it will be quite the project. Have fun!

Thanks man, they’re coming on a pace too! The Land Raider seems to be growing arms and legs (not nurgle related, but metaphorical!)
ListenToMeWarriors wrote:Really liking the take on the Black Plague marines, it is nice when you get a tutorial (like the rust one) to get your teeth into.

The Land Raider looks like a project and a half, really excited to see how it turns out.

Thanks, LTMW. I’ve wanted Black Plague Marines since I first saw some and these have been thoroughly enjoyable so far!
Guardling wrote:The nurgly Bois are looking good, the different scheme is working well on them

Thanks Guardling, I’ve never been a massive fan of the dingy green Death Guard, so it was either their Heresy colours or Black Legion for me!
Arakasi wrote:I wonder if a (some?) small magnet(s) on the assault ramps would help to keep it in place (rather than fiddling with the ramp hinge...)

Yeahs that might work, I’d need magnets and to figure out how to mount them in not much plastic! Another challenge I suppose!

More Nurgley goodness tonight (Mrs gobert is binge watching the Witcher so banished me to do some hobbying!) the tentacles got a couple of washes of Druchi violet and the gums on the leader and around the pustules on the tentacles got a wash of Khorne Red (about 4 or 5:1 with flow aid).

They look pretty sore now I think! I then spent a while tidying up the black armour, so it’s now black and the metal work has some definition again!

The black was pretty time consuming, so I’m glad to have it out of the way. Next will be highlighting it, which will probably take a while with all of the pitting and shattered edges. Still that’s usually one of the fun bits, so let’s hope it is this time! Before I do that though I spotted a few bits of horn, tentacle and fleshy cable that I need to paint first.

I also want to do some damage on these guys, but not sure on colours to use for that. I’ll be using purple and grey for the edge highlights, so do I use that or just grey or brown or metal? I’m worried that I’ll bottle it if I can’t decide! Ideas welcome

Thanks for looking!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Nice, those look amazing and were always one of the few sub black legion groups i would've liked to do.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in ca
Confident Halberdier





in the computer?

Wow gobert, those Black Legion plague marines are great! Thanks for the tutorials too, I'll have to keep them in mind for future projects.

I think a lightly purple-tinted grey would look best for highlights. It'd contrast with the gold, but not overpoweringly so.

 
   
Made in us
Angry Blood Angel Assault marine





Wisconsin

Those are some of the better painted Plague Marines I've seen.

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Not Online!!! wrote:Nice, those look amazing and were always one of the few sub black legion groups i would've liked to do.

Cheers NotOnline, Bringers of Decay seem a cool faction it’s true. They might get a few friends at some point too.
Thumpingbear wrote:Wow gobert, those Black Legion plague marines are great! Thanks for the tutorials too, I'll have to keep them in mind for future projects.

I think a lightly purple-tinted grey would look best for highlights. It'd contrast with the gold, but not overpoweringly so.

Thanks thumpingbear, I might just mix the two highlights for scratches, though having just done the edge highlights I’m not sure there’ll be much space for any!
ShadowsAndDust wrote:Those are some of the better painted Plague Marines I've seen.

Thanks ShadowsAndDust, very high praise indeed, hopefully I can keep it up!

Mrs Gobert continued her Witcher marathon this evening so I got on with the purple edge highlighting. With all of the pit marks it’s quite a lot of edges! I got it all done though, but it needs plenty of clean up, so that’ll be a task for a future painting session.

As you can see, pretty rough edge highlights!

In other news I did my big to fight Papa today and got my booster. Hopefully the side effects will either not arrive or retreat to the aether before Christmas Day!

In case I don’t post again before the big man in red comes, Happy Christmas everyone!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






You seem to really be having a blast with these guys. The paintjob reflects your enthusiasm. In short, they are coming out awesome!
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Macragge

Merry Christmas! Love the purple highlights. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but the color scheme is like a twisted version of your loyalist void panthers which is a nice touch. Here's hoping for lenient side effects from the booster.

   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Surrey, BC - Canada

Nice progress gobert.

Cheers,

CB

   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Happy christmas and holidays hopefully to you!

And that is some impressive progress

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






youwashock wrote:You seem to really be having a blast with these guys. The paintjob reflects your enthusiasm. In short, they are coming out awesome!

Thanks youwashock, yeah they’ve been great so far, edge highlighting can make or break the enjoyment so we’ll see how this goes tonight!
brushcommando wrote:Merry Christmas! Love the purple highlights. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but the color scheme is like a twisted version of your loyalist void panthers which is a nice touch. Here's hoping for lenient side effects from the booster.

100% intentional, the Panthers fall when their Captain is tainted by Nurgle after taking his helmet off at the wrong time (he’ll be the only marine without a helmet). After he died the Panthers marked all of their vehicles in black as did the 1st Company their Armour. More and more black crept in (I’ll start doing the odd black Arm soon) and before they knew it they started adding spikey bits in gold to their black bits and worshipping their fallen leader. Thus ends the story of the Void Panthers and starts the story of the [insert name here]. I’m thinking the Blackstone Fortress will be involved to tie in Mallex and their presence on there. Ultimately they become a fragment of Abaddons Black Legion too (he must’ve liked their new colours!).
Captain Brown wrote:Nice progress gobert.
Cheers,
CB

Thanks CB, they’re plodding along at quite a rate for me
Not Online!!! wrote:Happy christmas and holidays hopefully to you!
And that is some impressive progress

Thanks Not Online, the holidays were great, getting to see Family was a great after last year!

Sadly Papa Nurgle tainted me too much after my booster, really knocking me for 6 the day after so no painting was done before Christmas. Thankfully it all passed in time for my folks to visit and now they’re gone I’ve had the opportunity to make more progress on the Plague Marines. It doesn’t look like much but there’s a few hours gone in to these 3! I picked out the boney & fleshy bits that I missed ready for contrast and washes. The main task though was to tidy up the purple edge highlights and I even got the grey highlights on 2 of them.

I think the touch up increased the area that’s actually black, which helps them not read as purple. I was a bit sloppy with the grey in places though, so I’ll have a bit more touch up to do on a few spots. I’m pretty pleased how the grill on the Bolter dude came out I think most have two purple and two grey edges!

I probably could’ve done a fair bit more but I’ve been watching Tranformers: War for Cybertron and it’s hitting me right in the nostalgias! I loved the original series as a kid and could pretty much quote the movie word for word (and song for song) which means there are loads of nods that I’m picking up on. If you were a fan of the original, give this one a go, it’s making me want to paint a Tranformer mini!

Thanks for looking and I hope you all had a good Christmas!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/28 00:55:24


Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Wisconsin

Love the process your going through with the Deathguard. Skin looks like it’s full of diseases and ready to burst at any moment, Papa Nurgle would be proud.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Macragge

 gobert wrote:

100% intentional, the Panthers fall when their Captain is tainted by Nurgle after taking his helmet off at the wrong time (he’ll be the only marine without a helmet). After he died the Panthers marked all of their vehicles in black as did the 1st Company their Armour. More and more black crept in (I’ll start doing the odd black Arm soon) and before they knew it they started adding spikey bits in gold to their black bits and worshipping their fallen leader. Thus ends the story of the Void Panthers and starts the story of the [insert name here]. I’m thinking the Blackstone Fortress will be involved to tie in Mallex and their presence on there. Ultimately they become a fragment of Abaddons Black Legion too (he must’ve liked their new colours!).


Ah well. It sounds like curiosity killed the void cats... Seriously though, that's a cool concept -- having your collections of SM and CSM have a through line that documents them at various stages of a fall to chaos.

   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept





Northumberland

Great progress Gobert, particularly liking the flesh being rather manky!

One and a half feet in the hobby


My Adeptus Mechanicus Painting Log:
# The Explorator Fleet of Labrunnia IX #

 
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Yorkright wrote: Love the process your going through with the Deathguard. Skin looks like it’s full of diseases and ready to burst at any moment, Papa Nurgle would be proud.

Cheers Yorkright, they do look a bit uncomfortable in their skin don’t they!
brushcommando wrote:
[/snip]
Ah well. It sounds like curiosity killed the void cats... Seriously though, that's a cool concept -- having your collections of SM and CSM have a through line that documents them at various stages of a fall to chaos.

Hehe! Not quite killed but certainly corrupted! I think they’re already out growing their current display base, so when I’ve finished that, I’ll have to start another with added corruption.
Olthannon wrote:Great progress Gobert, particularly liking the flesh being rather manky!

Thanks Olthannon, manky is a good way to describe their flesh I think.

Another painting and Transformers watching session tonight. I got in to a better flow with the edge highlighting on the final mini, which is ok as he’s the leader. I then did a few random bits, like highlight the tabard on the Bolter dude. I wanted it dirty so just added Zandri dust and gave a rough kinda textured highlight. I then washed the fleshy and boney bits I missed before having a play with pustules in yellow and doing a call an green pass on the bits that I want to be green and a wash where I want to have an OSL glow from the green.



My inspiration for the OSL glow was darkkt’s plague marine he did a while back. Hopefully I can get it half as good, but I’ll be doing it to a different recipe so it may not glow as much.

No painting tomorrow as we’re off to the Panto (Snow White at the Hippodrome in Bristol) and then will likely watch The Book of Boba Fett on Disney+. I might get one more session in on the 30th, but if I don’t, Happy New Years!

Thanks for looking!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/29 00:29:08


Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: