Switch Theme:

Forgeworld 2019 News & Rumors :p.145 Knight Moirax, p.146 DA.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Baragash wrote:
I hope it’s nothing bad for FW, but it’s way past time that it was fully rolled in so that each game is being produced coherently by one team and FW models are fully integrated like they are in LotR, and GW scraps having two different websites.


As far as a lot of us are concerned, what you're suggesting would absolutely be bad for FW. I mean, you realise you're essentially arguing that FW should cease to exist? I can think of few things worse for it.

The whole point of FW is that it exists separate from the main studio, free to pursue oddities and passion projects with an inherently lower sales potential using a production media suited to that lower volume production. There's a case to be made that if one of those passion projects - the HH game for example - becomes more popular than the base remit of the company can support it should be spun off into its own team, but even then that team shouldn't be part of the main Studio, or else it risks losing the very qualities that made it that popular in the first place.

A this point, I'm just desperately hoping that the pretty wild rumour someone was peddling earlier in the year that FW are getting their own plastic pipeline in the new production facility is what this announcement refers to, because if it's something along the lines of what you suggest, FW as a venue for cool, interesting, campaign and model-focused products for "vet" gamers will be dead and gone within a year, reduced to an appendage for the main Studio pumping out whatever they're told to or worse, reduced to a mere brand label.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/30 07:16:23


I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Well, let’s feed in other stuff we know.

First and foremost, we know GW is increasing its production capacity, by extending the Foundry.

That’s underway so far as I’m aware, and may even be completed.

That could mean stuff like weapon expansions for AT and Necromunda heading to plastic. I for one would broadly welcome that, as I prefer plastic to resin.

We also know the Specialist Games stuff has been doing really, really well. Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Adeptus Titanicus. All hit to larger sales than they expected, to the point they retooled AT to plastic.

It could mean that success is seeing SG being split off into its own division, with personnel to match. That could mean FW proper returns to its roots, as ably described elsewhere in this thread.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





UK

 Yodhrin wrote:
As far as a lot of us are concerned, what you're suggesting would absolutely be bad for FW. I mean, you realise you're essentially arguing that FW should cease to exist? I can think of few things worse for it.

The whole point of FW is that it exists separate from the main studio, free to pursue oddities and passion projects with an inherently lower sales potential using a production media suited to that lower volume production. There's a case to be made that if one of those passion projects - the HH game for example - becomes more popular than the base remit of the company can support it should be spun off into its own team, but even then that team shouldn't be part of the main Studio, or else it risks losing the very qualities that made it that popular in the first place.

A this point, I'm just desperately hoping that the pretty wild rumour someone was peddling earlier in the year that FW are getting their own plastic pipeline in the new production facility is what this announcement refers to, because if it's something along the lines of what you suggest, FW as a venue for cool, interesting, campaign and model-focused products for "vet" gamers will be dead and gone within a year, reduced to an appendage for the main Studio pumping out whatever they're told to or worse, reduced to a mere brand label.


Well said and well remembered. Ending Forgeworld will be a death knell for many gamers involvement in the GW universes. But, if as you remembered, they are getting expanded production and plastics facilities, well, that is something to be excited about. The potential to switch a lot of the more popular sculpts to plastics will boost 30k no end.
   
Made in fi
Nimble Glade Rider





Further integration with or further separation from GW seems sensible.
Due to the plastic production, the current split in product lines is quite odd - you can buy the plastic Blood Bowl teams or Necromunda gangs only via GW, not FW, but FW does sell some products that combine plastic kits with their resin upgrade parts. Half the recently released new characters sculpted for Middle-earth are FW, the other half plastics from GW, while rules for both can be found in the same book (incidentally sold in both webstores; the only shared article bar the starter set for some reason, something which is not the case for the other games from what I can see).
It all seems rather less organized than it could be.

Here's hoping for a revised shipping costs policy (worldwide this time) while they're at it...
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Legio-Custodes-Ares-Gunship-2019

The previewed Ares flyer is up for preorder, and it's 40k rules are available for download. Of note, Saggitarum Custodians are now TROOPS!!!! Thank God, I have 25 of them.
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






Considering that the Specialist Games are already sold on GW site and most if FW's recent HH stuff has been rubbish, I really don't see much point in FW existing as a separate entity.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

Tavis75 wrote:
Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.

They're not new - they've been Event Exclusives for a while.
   
Made in gb
Brainy Zoanthrope





London

One would hope that maybe FW's retooling might enable them to keep expanding SKU's too... if some of the OOP models could come back that would be hugely appreciated, even if it was occasionally on a MTO model (but hopefully one a bit more regular and predictable than GW's).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/30 10:28:43


 
   
Made in fi
Nimble Glade Rider





beast_gts wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.

They're not new - they've been Event Exclusives for a while.
For a while? These models weren't even known of until a few days ago - aside from Bard, who was shown in an old rulebook but never released at the time.
They are not new sculpts as such, but entirely new releases nonetheless.
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.

They're not new - they've been Event Exclusives for a while.
For a while? These models weren't even known of until a few days ago - aside from Bard, who was shown in an old rulebook but never released at the time.
They are not new sculpts as such, but entirely new releases nonetheless.


I thought I recognised them, but asked a local Hobbit player as I don't play much - he said they'd been out a while. Their description says "These three miniatures are normally event exclusives, but they are available through our Made to Order service for one week only".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/30 10:53:28


 
   
Made in au
Committed Chaos Cult Marine




Melbourne

 Crimson wrote:
Considering that the Specialist Games are already sold on GW site and most if FW's recent HH stuff has been rubbish, I really don't see much point in FW existing as a separate entity.


Exactly. Each game obviously gets a project team dedicated to making it happen, and a mixture of plastic and FW models produced for it. The old structure doesn't make sense any more. GW will still make "passion projects" if they make sense, and unlike back in the day they're happy to release ideas with only a handful of units and people can soup them up, so there's no reason the sort of things happening in the Imperial Armour series can't still happen.

HH is the one that's currently suffering but that's because it needs a team and a direction after Alan Bligh's untimely passing.

Mantic Rules Committees: Kings of War, Warpath
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!" 
   
Made in fi
Nimble Glade Rider





beast_gts wrote:
 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.

They're not new - they've been Event Exclusives for a while.
For a while? These models weren't even known of until a few days ago - aside from Bard, who was shown in an old rulebook but never released at the time.
They are not new sculpts as such, but entirely new releases nonetheless.


I thought I recognised them, but asked a local Hobbit player as I don't play much - he said they'd been out a while. Their description says "These three miniatures are normally event exclusives, but they are available through our Made to Order service for one week only".
They will apparently be event exclusives from now on (starting at NOVA). Online availability, albeit for a limited time, is a nice option for the many people never attending said events, seems a good move.

Shame they don't have 360 views on the website - both Elves could do with some additional angles to see what they're like.
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
Also interesting that there appear to be brand new LOTR models that are "made to order" and only available for one week, don't believe that's ever been done by them before.

They're not new - they've been Event Exclusives for a while.
For a while? These models weren't even known of until a few days ago - aside from Bard, who was shown in an old rulebook but never released at the time.
They are not new sculpts as such, but entirely new releases nonetheless.


I thought I recognised them, but asked a local Hobbit player as I don't play much - he said they'd been out a while. Their description says "These three miniatures are normally event exclusives, but they are available through our Made to Order service for one week only".
They will apparently be event exclusives from now on (starting at NOVA). Online availability, albeit for a limited time, is a nice option for the many people never attending said events, seems a good move.

Shame they don't have 360 views on the website - both Elves could do with some additional angles to see what they're like.


The WarCom article clarifies it - "The three amazing Defenders of Laketown models are available online for one week only! After that, they are going to be event-exclusive models – in fact, they’re available at the NOVA Open this weekend – but if you don’t want to wait until the next event you attend to get your hands on Bard the Bowman, Legolas and Tauriel make sure that you order them now."


Automatically Appended Next Post:
They do look similar to existing sculpts - but I suppose there's only so many ways you can have an Elf shoot a bow...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/30 11:58:10


 
   
Made in gb
Darkwolf



West Sussex, UK

It’s a shame the two other event exclusive middle-earth packs (Ring bearers and Bilbo) they have at Nova didn’t make it to the Forge World MTO.
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Southeastern PA, USA

 cuda1179 wrote:
Of note, Saggitarum Custodians are now TROOPS!!!! Thank God, I have 25 of them.


That’s awesome.

My World Eaters Showcase
View my Genestealer Cult! Article - Gallery - Blog
Best Appearance - GW Baltimore GT 2008, Colonial GT 2012

DQ:70+S++++G+M++++B++I+Pw40k90#+D++A+++/fWD66R++T(Ot)DM+++

 
   
Made in fi
Nimble Glade Rider





Aeneades wrote:
It’s a shame the two other event exclusive middle-earth packs (Ring bearers and Bilbo) they have at Nova didn’t make it to the Forge World MTO.
Indeed, had especially hoped for the Ringbearers to be a normal release (they're not quite the same as just a new pose after all).
Given FW's current shipping policy (very expensive when ordering just 1 blister), having spread-out limited time releases is.. not great. Though I'd prefer them to become available in a similar MTO way if the alternative is not at all...
Maybe seeing how the Bard/Tauriel/Legolas kit shifts is a bit of a trial for this system.
   
Made in ca
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Vancouver, BC

They probably got complaints that people couldn't afford all the MTO at once (or GW did) so FW is doing it the other way.

 warboss wrote:
Is there a permanent stickied thread for Chaos players to complain every time someone/anyone gets models or rules besides them? If not, there should be.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

About that Ring Bearer pack. It's got Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gollem and... who?

   
Made in ca
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Vancouver, BC

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
About that Ring Bearer pack. It's got Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gollem and... who?


Isildur.

 warboss wrote:
Is there a permanent stickied thread for Chaos players to complain every time someone/anyone gets models or rules besides them? If not, there should be.
 
   
Made in gb
Darkwolf



West Sussex, UK

Apparently the pack doesn’t have Sam as he doesn’t have the ring as an option to take in the game. The other model is old Bilbo instead.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Oh, Bilbo and Old Bilbo? I mean fair enough, but it would've been more fun to have Sam.

   
Made in us
Implaccable Grey Knight Paladin




San Diego, CA

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Oh, Bilbo and Old Bilbo? I mean fair enough, but it would've been more fun to have Sam.

What is needs is the old "Frodo with the ring" mini.
If you're wondering what that is, it was a scenic base with footprints.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
 
   
Made in au
Fixture of Dakka





Melbourne

Quick question.
Have they mentioned at all plans for Dark Angels cataphractii shoulder pads?

My Blogs -
Dark Angels - Currently Terminator Chaplain
Terrain - Currently Dead
My Instagram - I don't post much. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 cuda1179 wrote:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Legio-Custodes-Ares-Gunship-2019

The previewed Ares flyer is up for preorder, and it's 40k rules are available for download. Of note, Saggitarum Custodians are now TROOPS!!!! Thank God, I have 25 of them.


Quite a few other changes in those rules, actually.
Adrastus weapons lost overheat.

Adrasite/Pyrithite Custodians: Elite -> Troops
Sagittarum Custodians: Heavy -> Troops
Galatus Dreadnought: +d3 attacks with the warblade instead of extra hits on unmodified sixes
Agamatus Jetbikes: Adrathic Devastator is flat 3 damage
Caladius Grav tank- seems like it got a weapon rebalance. Acellerator cannon dropped to S7 and flat 2 damage to match the telemon version, blaze cannon beam is now D3+3 damage instead of flat 3 and +12" range for both modes

Points changes:
Aquilon +5 per model
Caladius +20
Orion +40
Venatari -8 per model

Telemon Caestus -10/-10
Adrastite Spear -1
Adrastite Bolt Caliver -5
Aracnus Storm Cannon +5
Iliastus Accelerator Culverin +10
Infernus Incinerator -1
Lastrum Bolt cannon -2
Pyrithite Spear -4
Twin Iliastus Accelerator Cannon -10
Twin Las Pulsar -5
   
Made in es
Longtime Dakkanaut





Zone mortalis its in last chance to buy!!

Plastic Necromunda terrain incoming?

   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






That would be nice!

Though given the Badzone isn't available (unsure if dropped, or just sold out), could be 2D Necromunda is offski?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Agile Revenant Titan





London, UK

Sad to see the Zone Mortalis go, I've never had the chance to play on it and likely never will.

5000 Fir Farillecassion Eldar W/L/D 4th Ed Codex - 14/7/1 6th Ed Codex - 9/1/0 7th Ed Codex - 4/1/1 8th Ed Codex - 10/4/2
2000 Hive Fleet Zenith
Excavating eBay: My blog of eBay finds and the pile of shame!
Instagram, follow if you dare!
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Ain't no party like an un-release party! Hey! Ho!

   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

zamerion wrote:
Zone mortalis its in last chance to buy!!

Plastic Necromunda terrain incoming?



Unsure what to do here. I’ve always wanted an extra set of tiles but if plastic is coming.... these tiles were the best thing I ever bought from FW or GW. Incredibly versatile terrain. I would also be concerned that GW tiles will be plastered in skulls and loose the FW look. The lack of usable doors is all that’s putting me off.

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: