Switch Theme:

Codex Tyranids Tactica: The Shadow Falls, The Hive Fleets Gather. Worlds Devoured  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Carnifexes should have a 2+ save.

And a Rhino is an APC. I'd like for Carnifexes to be tougher than baseline APCs.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Hello tactically minded Tyranids. I have just posted a new written battle report you may enjoy against Mortarion and the new Death Guard codex. Find it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tyranids/comments/m1udem/tyranids_vs_new_death_guard_9th_edition_battle/


As always please let me know what you think. Good luck out there!
   
Made in us
Lead-Footed Trukkboy Driver





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Carnifexes should have a 2+ save.

And a Rhino is an APC. I'd like for Carnifexes to be tougher than baseline APCs.


I agree - and they used to. Tyranid monsters in general need some love. How is a Mawloc only toughness 6? The model is HUGE.

Active armies, still collecting and painting First and greatest love - Orks, Orks, and more Orks largest pile of shame, so many tanks unassembled most complete and painted beautiful models, couldn't resist the swarm will consume all
Armies in disrepair: nothing new since 5th edition oh how I want to revive, but mostly old fantasy demons and some glorious Soul Grinders in need of love 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

 Grumblewartz wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Carnifexes should have a 2+ save.

And a Rhino is an APC. I'd like for Carnifexes to be tougher than baseline APCs.


I agree - and they used to. Tyranid monsters in general need some love. How is a Mawloc only toughness 6? The model is HUGE.


I think the key question is does GW intend you to take1 Mawlock or 5 or 1 Mawlock and a host of other big monsters. Basically the fewer there are on the table the tougher they can be; the more of them there can be on the table the weaker they have to be to work.

The Trygon used to be a knight class monster from Forgeworld but its plastic variation got cheaper and cheaper and now its a much lesser creature in terms of power; but on the flipside you can put down several in an army with space for other stuff and without it being broken. So I figure that's the way we are headed; weaker monsters but ones we can have far more of within an army in general to make up for it.

It might well leave room for the Carny to be smaller, weaker and cheaper so we can spam masses of them; and then if you want something that hits like a tank you take a hauxspex (or however its spelt).

   
Made in us
Roarin' Runtherd




Honestly I'd be fine with my monsters being weaker than their tank/dreadnought counterparts but in exchange if my carnifex is only as good as 75% of a Dreadnought it should only cost 75% of a dreadnought or however you want to break it down.

I like Tyranids as a swarm army no matter how they're played, but give us the capability to properly represent the tyranid capacity to adapt. I love the adaptive physiology as a concept but many of those are fixes for models that are God awful in terms of rules. I can think of several ways to improve them. From extanding the -1 toughness auras to Venomthropes or toxicrenes to follow the trend set by Admech rad troops or Death guard, or we could go in another direction and make it -1 to their strength, make it more of a defensive aura, the choking spores rending the foe's attacks feeble as they gasp for air. If the Toxicrene is gonna be a dedicated poison monster, make it a monster in CC with anything not inside a tank/dreadnought hull.

If the Haruspex is gonna be garbage outside of boosting it with the stratagem and monsterous size, buff it. Why should our CC monsters routinely have WS 4+? If our monsters are to be inferior to everyone else's counterparts they should handily outnumber them, if they are supposed to be able to fight from a place of rough parity give them that.

Though that is getting into proposed rules territory.

How is people's luck with shooting Carnifexes, I haven't given my devilfex a try yet, as I've been using a Venomcannon Carnifex with Deathspitters to support my main advance and shoot into hard targets. I've also been struggling against large groups of Necron Warrors. Any solutions for these issues?
   
Made in us
Brainy Zoanthrope




North Carolina

So all of these points are true on our MCs and I see the argument that it's cool as hell to spam a bunch of them... but the game doesn't really make that very doable. To get more than 3 HS, you have to give up CP; either by taking a Spearhead, taking a brigade, or taking multiple detachments. We are very CP hungry; the stuff that works mostly does so because of random BoB strategems/adaptive physiologies/our existing strats where the good ones cost 2 CP+. So to "go wide" with a monster mash list, you have to give up CP, and our subpar statted monsters can't really afford that.

Note: none of that really applies to the FW MCs that are actually, *actually* good. Probably not OP, but quite strong (and not just for their points), in a book of otherwise completely outclassed melee MCs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/11 13:20:43


 
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

 Gene St. Ealer wrote:
So all of these points are true on our MCs and I see the argument that it's cool as hell to spam a bunch of them... but the game doesn't really make that very doable. To get more than 3 HS, you have to give up CP; either by taking a Spearhead, taking a brigade, or taking multiple detachments. We are very CP hungry; the stuff that works mostly does so because of random BoB strategems/adaptive physiologies/our existing strats where the good ones cost 2 CP+. So to "go wide" with a monster mash list, you have to give up CP, and our subpar statted monsters can't really afford that.

Note: none of that really applies to the FW MCs that are actually, *actually* good. Probably not OP, but quite strong (and not just for their points), in a book of otherwise completely outclassed melee MCs.


Well it would not be a problem having exspensive MC's if they just are good. Problem is the once we have in different arieas often are quite bad.

There is a rather long list of MC's we do not take, and a rather short list of the good once. One of the good thing about the Dimachaeron is that not only is it good. It is also in the fast attack slott.

HQ, many bad MC's.
Troops, not any MC's but we used to have in 5th and 6th edition.
Elites, many bad MC's.
Fast attack, not many MC's.
Heavy support, many bad MC's but some good once.
Flyers: Many bad MC's.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/03/11 14:12:11


I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

I feel this is kinda losing sight of the original topic: Carnifexes.

Unlike the rest of our MCs, we can take Carnifexes in broods of up to 3. The are meant to be spammed in large quantities.

I think that while the rest of our MCs need to be better, Carnifexes can just be cheaper.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/11 14:22:33


 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Tyran wrote:
I feel this is kinda losing sight of the original topic: Carnifexes.

Unlike the rest of our MCs, we can take Carnifexes in broods of up to 3. The are meant to be spammed in large quantities.

I think that while the rest of our MCs need to be better, Carnifexes can just be cheaper.
Carnifex really aren't much cheaper than many of the other monsters. A toxicrene for example puts a carnifex to shame. A trygone will out melee a carnifex for days and is far more durable plus it can transport 30 man units of gaunts. Carnifex just cost too much is their problem.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

 Xenomancers wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
I feel this is kinda losing sight of the original topic: Carnifexes.

Unlike the rest of our MCs, we can take Carnifexes in broods of up to 3. The are meant to be spammed in large quantities.

I think that while the rest of our MCs need to be better, Carnifexes can just be cheaper.
Carnifex really aren't much cheaper than many of the other monsters. A toxicrene for example puts a carnifex to shame. A trygone will out melee a carnifex for days and is far more durable plus it can transport 30 man units of gaunts. Carnifex just cost too much is their problem.

Both Trygons and Toxicrenes are 50% more expensive than a melee Carnifex, that is a considerable difference.
   
Made in fr
Stabbin' Skarboy






RandomHeretic wrote:
Hello tactically minded Tyranids. I have just posted a new written battle report you may enjoy against Mortarion and the new Death Guard codex. Find it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tyranids/comments/m1udem/tyranids_vs_new_death_guard_9th_edition_battle/


As always please let me know what you think. Good luck out there!


Great battrep, very nice read ! Indeed you both made a few (perhaps a bit more than a few mistakes), but for someone not having played much recently, you did not make THAT MANY mistakes. If he had played more conservatively with his PBCs, it would have been really tough for you to get that win I think. Also, exposing his prince to your exocrine was... Well he will know better next time !

This game really shows the power of mortal wounds, with all those invuls flying around

Again, great read, thanks !
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Tyran wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
I feel this is kinda losing sight of the original topic: Carnifexes.

Unlike the rest of our MCs, we can take Carnifexes in broods of up to 3. The are meant to be spammed in large quantities.

I think that while the rest of our MCs need to be better, Carnifexes can just be cheaper.
Carnifex really aren't much cheaper than many of the other monsters. A toxicrene for example puts a carnifex to shame. A trygone will out melee a carnifex for days and is far more durable plus it can transport 30 man units of gaunts. Carnifex just cost too much is their problem.

Both Trygons and Toxicrenes are 50% more expensive than a melee Carnifex, that is a considerable difference.
It's a bit more than that.

Once you load out a fex with options its between 125-150 points (125 for a well equipped melee fex) . Which 150(155 with adrenal) gets you a trygon - which IMO is a much better melee only beast and it gives you a lot more too boot with durability and deep strike a troop unit with it. Toxicrine has acid blood/ mortal wounds aura/way better melee weapons/ decent shooting (though I'd take a trygon over all of these options).

Not trying to talk any option up here. Just saying fex should be no where near the cost of these beasts. A melee fex should be a lot closer to a Canoptec spider than a trygon in points. Canoptec spider is 60 points / 70 with guns.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Brainy Zoanthrope




North Carolina

 Xenomancers wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
I feel this is kinda losing sight of the original topic: Carnifexes.

Unlike the rest of our MCs, we can take Carnifexes in broods of up to 3. The are meant to be spammed in large quantities.

I think that while the rest of our MCs need to be better, Carnifexes can just be cheaper.
Carnifex really aren't much cheaper than many of the other monsters. A toxicrene for example puts a carnifex to shame. A trygone will out melee a carnifex for days and is far more durable plus it can transport 30 man units of gaunts. Carnifex just cost too much is their problem.

Both Trygons and Toxicrenes are 50% more expensive than a melee Carnifex, that is a considerable difference.
It's a bit more than that.

Once you load out a fex with options its between 125-150 points (125 for a well equipped melee fex) . Which 150(155 with adrenal) gets you a trygon - which IMO is a much better melee only beast and it gives you a lot more too boot with durability and deep strike a troop unit with it. Toxicrine has acid blood/ mortal wounds aura/way better melee weapons/ decent shooting (though I'd take a trygon over all of these options).

Not trying to talk any option up here. Just saying fex should be no where near the cost of these beasts. A melee fex should be a lot closer to a Canoptec spider than a trygon in points. Canoptec spider is 60 points / 70 with guns.


No way man, a Fex is a big frigging deal and should cost more in the lore to equal that. It should have comparable capabilities to a dread (but adaptable into something stronger if you sell out for it); and if you choose to take a melee fex, it should melee better than a dread (which never happens today).
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Xenomancers wrote:
Once you load out a fex with options its between 125-150 points (125 for a well equipped melee fex) . Which 150(155 with adrenal) gets you a trygon - which IMO is a much better melee only beast and it gives you a lot more too boot with durability


Debatable. It's got the edge in a single extra attack with talons, and more consistent WS across multiple rounds of combat (Kraken mostly nullifies this though). S7, without an adaptive physiology, is not great for taking on heavier targets than infantry, and D6 damage is inconsistent against the sort of elite infantry that's prevalent these days. I'd be much happier with the 6 (2 talons + tusks) WS3+ S6 attacks from a Carnifex's first round of combat than the Trygon's, and it's coming in 30 points cheaper than a Trygon and available in broods, so I am not committing as hard in my FoC to keep up role redundancy. Durabilitywise, I really can't even begin to agree. T6 vs. T7 is an even bigger deal than T7 vs. T8. There is a lot of high-rate of fire S6 and S7 weaponry out there that just laughs at a 3+ save and often has multi-damage. T6 even at 4 extra wounds is a painful price to pay for the deep strike and "transport" capacity, and of course being above 10 wound count my poor Trygons are reduced to even worse efffectiveness should they happen to survive, while if a Carnifex makes it through (let's not forget sticking Spore Cysts on there if we want) they are just as effective at 1 wound as they were at 8. So, durability and what you want to get out of durability (better long term performance) is also superior in the Carnifex.

Finally, mobility. Yep, Trygons can deepstrike, they also move at a slightly faster clip than Carnifexes once they're on the ground. Thankfully the age of 3 Trygons deepstriking at 3 key positions only to get nicked by a few lucky plasma or lascannon shots and being bracketed or outright killed before they charged is mostly over, but getting models into assault T1 has not been a problem for this army since our 8th book dropped, and the Carnifex is not an exception.
   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut





If you want to play fexes, just go with the stonecrusher variant. Since it already received the 9th edition boost to meele models, it is on a different level compared to our other monsters.

For the same cost as a dual scythe fex with tusk and tail, you get a whole other level of pain.

Its mortal wouds on the charge go from 1 to d3, to d6 against vehicles/monsters.
He has 2 attack less, but at strenght 14 rerolling to hit and damage 5 against monster/vehicles.

It puts a redemptor dreadnaught on its last bracket without any external buff.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/03/13 12:18:28


 
   
Made in gb
Infiltrating Broodlord





England

I would prefer to see the Carnifex bought in power to justify the points.

In second edition it was a key piece because it was just so damned tanky. It wasn't too bad in CC either with high WS, STR and decent attacks.

 Nostromodamus wrote:
Please don’t necro to ask if there’s been any news.
 
   
Made in mx
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

I do believe Melee fexes need a boost in damage dealing. In specific that penalty on the Crushing claws needs to disappear. But there is no way they can be the centerpieces of 2nd-4th.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/13 21:02:55


 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

psssst Tyranid players - check this out
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/796307.page

   
Made in gb
Infiltrating Broodlord





England

It's entirely possible that I am still salty about the toughest model in 2nd edition having a lower Toughness than an Aeldari Wraithlord.

 Nostromodamus wrote:
Please don’t necro to ask if there’s been any news.
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 Souleater wrote:
It's entirely possible that I am still salty about the toughest model in 2nd edition having a lower Toughness than an Aeldari Wraithlord.


To be fair, WLs were also tough as nails back in the day. And pretty meh and underpowered now.

   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Hello again tactical Hive Mind! I have just posted a new written battle report you may enjoy against the Death Guard. Find it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tyranids/comments/mdf12m/tyranids_vs_new_death_guard_rematch_9th_edition/

I hope reading this helps to give more data to the hive mind when building lists and thinking about tactics.

As always please let me know what you think. Good luck out there!
   
Made in au
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





 Nevelon wrote:
 Souleater wrote:
It's entirely possible that I am still salty about the toughest model in 2nd edition having a lower Toughness than an Aeldari Wraithlord.


To be fair, WLs were also tough as nails back in the day. And pretty meh and underpowered now.


I do kinda miss the days when T8 meant you could just walk through Str4 like it was a summer breeze. I think the Ctan had the same T stat too.
   
Made in us
Elite Tyranid Warrior




Pennsylvania

what's up everyone. I've been out of the game for a couple of years at this point, but looking to hop back in. I went back a few pages just to see how our bugs are fairing in the new edition. I don't play really competitive, but I also don't want to set up models with next to no chance to win the game. I got the impression from the posts I was reading that the truly competitive lists all require FW models to be successful, I just wanted to make sure that was right and ask if there's a way to just hang in games without the FW models?

   
Made in mx
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

If your meta is not competitive, then I don't think you really need FW models.
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Battlesong wrote:
what's up everyone. I've been out of the game for a couple of years at this point, but looking to hop back in. I went back a few pages just to see how our bugs are fairing in the new edition. I don't play really competitive, but I also don't want to set up models with next to no chance to win the game. I got the impression from the posts I was reading that the truly competitive lists all require FW models to be successful, I just wanted to make sure that was right and ask if there's a way to just hang in games without the FW models?

It can be done.
Spam / warm lord.
Trygon with dev gaunts
Hive Guard
Several monsters are kinda okay...

The FW stuff is just very underpointed by comparison...because that is what FW is great at. Turns out though the FW stuff is about right and pretty much everything else nids is overpointed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/26 19:46:13


If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

 Battlesong wrote:
what's up everyone. I've been out of the game for a couple of years at this point, but looking to hop back in. I went back a few pages just to see how our bugs are fairing in the new edition. I don't play really competitive, but I also don't want to set up models with next to no chance to win the game. I got the impression from the posts I was reading that the truly competitive lists all require FW models to be successful, I just wanted to make sure that was right and ask if there's a way to just hang in games without the FW models?


Outside of "super competitive" Bugs can do just fine. The main "trap" is that Hth is now a "thing" in 9th, and Nids don't do Hth very well. But shooting and Smiting work just fine, and the old classic of Cover the table with figs!(tm) still works.

The "secret" is play the mission, and only the mission. Nids can do that as well as any.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/26 21:20:13


 
   
Made in us
Elite Tyranid Warrior




Pennsylvania

pinecone77 wrote:
Outside of "super competitive" Bugs can do just fine. The main "trap" is that Hth is now a "thing" in 9th, and Nids don't do Hth very well. But shooting and Smiting work just fine, and the old classic of Cover the table with figs!(tm) still works.

The "secret" is play the mission, and only the mission. Nids can do that as well as any.


Don't do hth well? Wow, I really have to check the rules now as I find it hard to believe that we're bad in close combat. The issue used to be getting them there, not what happened when they were there. Below is the collection of models I'm working with; any advice based off of this is really appreciated.

2 Hive Tyrants One wit LW/BS and HVC, one with wings, but no other arms attached yet
1 Tervigon w/Crushing Claws
2 Broodlords
10 Warriors, various loadouts
44 Genestealers
41 Hormagaunts
35 Termagants, some w/devourers, but I don't remember how many
29 Gargoyles
1 Lictor (usually use as Deathleaper)
3 Zoanthropes
1 Biovore w/2 mines
1 Exocrine
2 Trygons
4 Carnifexes, 1 w/dual ST, 1 w/ST and Crushing Claws, 1 w/Claws and HVC, and 1 with 2 devourers and 2 open arm slots

   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

Currently "good" units in HtH have Invulns and Top of the line armor saves. We don't. But we do have acid blood! (costs cp) You want to use Lictors, and/or Rippers to "on all fronts" and deploy scamblers, and the like.

If you are careful you can max the secondaries, and if your foe cannot, you can get a win most every time. We may not be "good" at HtH, but we can Infiltrate, Tunnel, and out number just like always.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What Hive Fleet are you planning on running? The two top choices seem to be Kraken for super speed, and Leviathan, or Jormangandr for increased saves, or tricks.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
There are also "custom" Fleets as well.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Battlesong wrote:
pinecone77 wrote:
Outside of "super competitive" Bugs can do just fine. The main "trap" is that Hth is now a "thing" in 9th, and Nids don't do Hth very well. But shooting and Smiting work just fine, and the old classic of Cover the table with figs!(tm) still works.

The "secret" is play the mission, and only the mission. Nids can do that as well as any.


Don't do hth well? Wow, I really have to check the rules now as I find it hard to believe that we're bad in close combat. The issue used to be getting them there, not what happened when they were there. Below is the collection of models I'm working with; any advice based off of this is really appreciated.

2 Hive Tyrants One wit LW/BS and HVC, one with wings, but no other arms attached yet
1 Tervigon w/Crushing Claws
2 Broodlords
10 Warriors, various loadouts
44 Genestealers
41 Hormagaunts
35 Termagants, some w/devourers, but I don't remember how many
29 Gargoyles
1 Lictor (usually use as Deathleaper)
3 Zoanthropes
1 Biovore w/2 mines
1 Exocrine
2 Trygons
4 Carnifexes, 1 w/dual ST, 1 w/ST and Crushing Claws, 1 w/Claws and HVC, and 1 with 2 devourers and 2 open arm slots


Looking at what you have I suggest running some MSU Stealers, and/or MSU Warriors as your base, us the Broodlords as HQ, one with A spine to increase psycher powers and the add in you gaunts and Zoeys and see how it plays.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/03/29 20:46:58


 
   
Made in us
Elite Tyranid Warrior




Pennsylvania

pinecone77 wrote:
Currently "good" units in HtH have Invulns and Top of the line armor saves. We don't. But we do have acid blood! (costs cp) You want to use Lictors, and/or Rippers to "on all fronts" and deploy scamblers, and the like.

If you are careful you can max the secondaries, and if your foe cannot, you can get a win most every time. We may not be "good" at HtH, but we can Infiltrate, Tunnel, and out number just like always.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What Hive Fleet are you planning on running? The two top choices seem to be Kraken for super speed, and Leviathan, or Jormangandr for increased saves, or tricks.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
There are also "custom" Fleets as well.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Battlesong wrote:
pinecone77 wrote:
Outside of "super competitive" Bugs can do just fine. The main "trap" is that Hth is now a "thing" in 9th, and Nids don't do Hth very well. But shooting and Smiting work just fine, and the old classic of Cover the table with figs!(tm) still works.

The "secret" is play the mission, and only the mission. Nids can do that as well as any.


Don't do hth well? Wow, I really have to check the rules now as I find it hard to believe that we're bad in close combat. The issue used to be getting them there, not what happened when they were there. Below is the collection of models I'm working with; any advice based off of this is really appreciated.

2 Hive Tyrants One wit LW/BS and HVC, one with wings, but no other arms attached yet
1 Tervigon w/Crushing Claws
2 Broodlords
10 Warriors, various loadouts
44 Genestealers
41 Hormagaunts
35 Termagants, some w/devourers, but I don't remember how many
29 Gargoyles
1 Lictor (usually use as Deathleaper)
3 Zoanthropes
1 Biovore w/2 mines
1 Exocrine
2 Trygons
4 Carnifexes, 1 w/dual ST, 1 w/ST and Crushing Claws, 1 w/Claws and HVC, and 1 with 2 devourers and 2 open arm slots


Looking at what you have I suggest running some MSU Stealers, and/or MSU Warriors as your base, us the Broodlords as HQ, one with A spine to increase psycher powers and the add in you gaunts and Zoeys and see how it plays.
I'll most likely run Kraken, at least until I get a couple of 9th edition games under my belt as I think that'll be the easiest to play with to start. Staying away from the monsters makes me cry as they're the whole reason I started playing the army. Sounds like a complete reversal of how we played 8th edition and is going to take a lot of games to get used to. It almost makes me just want to hold off to see what the new codex brings.....

   
Made in us
Emboldened Warlock





NJ, USA

 Battlesong wrote:
I'll most likely run Kraken, at least until I get a couple of 9th edition games under my belt as I think that'll be the easiest to play with to start. Staying away from the monsters makes me cry as they're the whole reason I started playing the army. Sounds like a complete reversal of how we played 8th edition and is going to take a lot of games to get used to. It almost makes me just want to hold off to see what the new codex brings.....


Kraken gives you a lot of mobility, good stratagems and abilities. Particularly good for things that want to tie up enemy units in combat.

Looking at your monster list:

Tervigons are pretty awful right now for their points.
Walking Hive Tyrants have sadly been poorly optimized for quite a while, much as I like them thematically
Flying Hive tyrants are reasonably solid and have turned up in some top lists as a singleton. You need to have a plan for how you're going to use him though, he can be focused down surprisingly quickly even through a 4+ invuln if you expose him to too much firepower.
I honestly can't comment on Trygons, apologies.
Carnifexes are just a little too fragile for their points, but they're not so far outside the competitive window that they can't be used. Don't get me wrong, major event top threes won't have any in the list, but they are usable.
Exocrines are actually still extremely good. Stick the 5+ invulnerable save mutation on them, and use the stratagem to make them flat three damage liberally where it makes sense. They're not quite as optimally tuned as the FW guys are, but before that book dropped they were our go to big boy.

The problem is that if you only take one or two or three monsters, everyone's army has enough antitank firepower to mow through them. They need a bit more critical mass to become more survivable. The Exocrine in particular needs screening, although it looks like you have lots of little guys.

If you decide to expand your monster inventory, you have a reasonable base to start from. However, just putting a flying tyrant and an exocrine in with lots of little guys will probably end in tears most games.

Cheers!

V

For the greater glory of the Zoat Empire!


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: