Switch Theme:

Captain Marvel trailer  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






Having the Life Equation was causing issues and he divided that up amongst seven new White Lanterns, who have never been seen again. He’s back to being green.

Guy’s run as a Red was super interesting to read imho. Then they did a thing where all of them got pulled into the past, and Guy was simultaneously wearing a green and red, and then lost the red and went back to full time green like nothing happened and everyone just forgot the Red’s technically own the sector of space where Earth resides and Green’s aren’t allowed in it thanks to Guy. There’s been occasional mentions of the Red’s since, and they’ve got some weird stuff going on, but with no book of their own there’s few details of what exactly.

 
   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

Lance845 wrote:They should just do Kyle Raynor. Kyle was always the best GL anyway.


HIGHLY subjective.

Lance845 wrote:Hal is a lunatic that killed a world because the GL corp wouldn't resurrect a city.


Try looking at the entirety of Hal's mythos, not just a gakky story by a gakky writer trying to be the next Alan Moore. Ron Marz was on record in interviews saying that he didn't like GL as a character, and his first item of business was to kill him off. He also stated that damn near every other character that he'd be offered he'd kill off the current character and simply make another, usually with some change to their power status quo since he's a fething hack who can't write to save his life. Need proof? Look up the Living Bomb storyline for The Silver Surfer. Hell, Marz wrote out the ring's weaknesses solely because he was too incompetent as a writer to work around them.

Lance845 wrote:John is pretty great, but kind of dull and dutiful. Better support as mentioned above. He was great in the JL cartoon.


John is a great character because of his faults. He got an entire planet wiped out because he overestimated himself. It's kind of a pivotal moment for the character.

Lance845 wrote:Kyle has both the best will, the most interesting internal conflicts, and has the most creativity with his constructs for external conflicts since hes an artist and comes up with all kinds of wild and crazy stuff.

Kyle Raynor all the way. Oh yeah, his GL costume is also the best.



So the fact that you have an artist who actually gives effort to drawing the constructs establishes the character? Horse gak. You want a good appraisal of Raynor's character? Find the issue where Felix Faust appears and regains his memory. The comic starts with a homeless guy getting abducted by magical creatures right outside Raynor's apartment. The very next day he's bitching to one of his supporting cast about how he didn't get much sleep because someone was screaming outside his window in the middle of the night. LITERALLY every GL in existence, yes, even Guy Gardner, would have flown out their window to see what the hell was going on. Kyle Raynor was a petulant slacker child until Judd Winnick turned him into an SJW, and THEN the whole Ion garbage. I freely and proudly admit to signing the online petition back in the 90's to bring Hal Jordan back.

feth Kyle Raynor.







Now that THAT is out of my system, I want to go on record and say I secretly hope that Photon winds up getting powers in the MCU as well.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I do really like Jessica, but her backstory is really convoluted. Her gimmick is that she's a lantern that lives with PTSD, but the actual reason such a person has a GL ring involves an evil ring from a parallel universe that possess people broken by fear. It's a good story but not high on my list of things that should be made into a mainstream film.

Kyle is fine. Emerald Twilight is terrible, but Kyle himself is a solid character. His main problem is just that he's 100% cliche teenage boy stumbles upon a wizard who gives him magic powers to save a far off kingdom from destruction. I actually think he would have paired reasonably well with Ezra Miller's totally not Barry, Barry Allen.

Guy is a fun character when you need what he has to offer. Like John I think he's great in a team. Really though, of the 6 Earth Lanterns, I feel like Baz has struggled the most to find a unique voice. Johns wrote him well, but not for very long and it doesn't feel like the writers who have picked him up since really know how to to define him.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Norwalk, Connecticut

 Dreadwinter wrote:
 emptyhat wrote:
What about Guy? (I mostly just know him from the Injustice run, which was fairly flattering to him in comparison to the other Earth Green Lanterns.)


There is a reason he was not on the list.

Guy Gardner is a pretty divisive character. Both in universe and out.


Guy is the GL who would make Deadpool a better alternative to introduce to your 90 year old grandmother.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Could'a sworn this was a Captain Marvel thread...

   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





 timetowaste85 wrote:
 Dreadwinter wrote:
 emptyhat wrote:
What about Guy? (I mostly just know him from the Injustice run, which was fairly flattering to him in comparison to the other Earth Green Lanterns.)


There is a reason he was not on the list.

Guy Gardner is a pretty divisive character. Both in universe and out.


Guy is the GL who would make Deadpool a better alternative to introduce to your 90 year old grandmother.


Agreed. Deadpool would be nice and probably have tea with her. I cannot guarantee Guy wouldn't attack and/or kill her.

 Ouze wrote:

How did you forget that time you got elected King of the Liberals? You swore on a copy of the Communist Manifesto that you would defend every belief held by any member of the left, foreign or domestic, or may you be cursed to forever more drink only non-fair-trade coffee, forevermore


*0 Dakka Suspensions and still going strong! Probably because I believe in science!* 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Continuing the tangent; is anyone reading Grant Morrison's Green Lantern? It would certainly be interesting to see a film that takes his raw "space cop" angle and runs with it.
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

To get off the tangent - as someone who was never hugely into the comics barring the odd issue of Spiderman and 2000AD, what's the deal with the Kree in terms of powers? 'Cos so far in MCU tales, we've had "magic healing blood", "bit stronger than humans but will struggle with a C-tier Asgardian/Quake", "able to hold an Infinity Stone without dying(for some reason)", "telepathic and telekenetic" and now "magic blood that gives you a sparkly mohawk and superpowers".

So, are they basically like humans in terms of the distribution of "abilities", but with a slightly higher baseline for mooks?

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Kree are generally human, but their homeworld has a higher base gravity that makes the average Kree stronger than the average human. Kree suffer from genetic stagnation and do not naturally evolve. Instead they've taken to heavy genetic experimentation, often by kidnapping other races and experimenting on/with them to find things they can incorporate back into themselves. This tends to lead to a lot of one off results that don't apply to the race as a whole. Most of the experiments that have been applied to the general populace are stuff like toxin immunity.

I'm pretty sure Ronan should only be able to hold the Infinity stone for any length of time while also holding his Univeral Weapon. That thing can redirect a ton of energy and makes the most sense in terms of how he can wield it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/07 16:00:56


 
   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

Don't forget also that there's an entertaining aspect of Kree society. Most Kree have blue skin. Caucasians exist in their species, but they are the victims of prejudice and oppression.

LunarSol wrote:Continuing the tangent; is anyone reading Grant Morrison's Green Lantern? It would certainly be interesting to see a film that takes his raw "space cop" angle and runs with it.


I wouldn't douche my worst enemy with any of Grant Morrison's writing. In my mind only Warren Ellis surpasses him in self important trash production masquerading as scripts.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





SoCal

Why would you douche your worst enemy?

   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

Why WOULDN'T you? Typically with something other than cleaning agents, but there are some materials that would constitute a war crime to use. Grant Morrison's and Warren Ellis' writings are pretty high on THAT list.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Southeastern PA, USA

 LunarSol wrote:
Continuing the tangent; is anyone reading Grant Morrison's Green Lantern? It would certainly be interesting to see a film that takes his raw "space cop" angle and runs with it.


Oh sure. And add another GL and I think that's your 'Lethal Weapon'-style story. Vet and rookie GLs working a case together. Heck, make it tie back to Abin Sur's death so that you can bring in elements of Hal's origin and tie it to John's origin.

 Just Tony wrote:
I wouldn't douche my worst enemy with any of Grant Morrison's writing. In my mind only Warren Ellis surpasses him in self important trash production masquerading as scripts.


LOL, ok.

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Could'a sworn this was a Captain Marvel thread...


To be fair, Captain Marvel (at least the Mar-Vell version) is one of Lee's more derivative characters. Lee took GL, turned the ring into bands, and gave him the name of the magic lightning bolt guy. *shrug*

My World Eaters Showcase
View my Genestealer Cult! Article - Gallery - Blog
Best Appearance - GW Baltimore GT 2008, Colonial GT 2012

DQ:70+S++++G+M++++B++I+Pw40k90#+D++A+++/fWD66R++T(Ot)DM+++

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 gorgon wrote:

To be fair, Captain Marvel (at least the Mar-Vell version) is one of Lee's more derivative characters. Lee took GL, turned the ring into bands, and gave him the name of the magic lightning bolt guy. *shrug*


Not surprising given he was essentially an editorially mandated creation to lay a legal stake in the ground.
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Southeastern PA, USA

 LunarSol wrote:
 gorgon wrote:

To be fair, Captain Marvel (at least the Mar-Vell version) is one of Lee's more derivative characters. Lee took GL, turned the ring into bands, and gave him the name of the magic lightning bolt guy. *shrug*


Not surprising given he was essentially an editorially mandated creation to lay a legal stake in the ground.


True. And Marvel even embraced the GL comparisons when Quasar moved into Mar-Vell's role and started making solid light constructs with his quantum bands.

I actually liked the original Wendell Vaughn Quasar, before the quantum bands started bouncing around and things got convoluted. Would be cool to see Quasar show up in the MCU at some point, but I can't imagine it ever happening. The MCU Captain Marvel is already a distillation of all the Mar-Vell related stuff from the comics, so I doubt such a similar character in Quasar would be added.

My World Eaters Showcase
View my Genestealer Cult! Article - Gallery - Blog
Best Appearance - GW Baltimore GT 2008, Colonial GT 2012

DQ:70+S++++G+M++++B++I+Pw40k90#+D++A+++/fWD66R++T(Ot)DM+++

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I really like Phyla in the Guardians up until the whole Martyr thing. I'd hoped to see her at some point, but it seems very unlikely at this point.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

We could still see Quasar. She'd be an interesting new character to add to the cosmic side of things.

   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader




 Just Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.


Pretty sure they set that up at the end of Guardians 2

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






Yeah. Plan was Adam for Guardians 3.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
My P&M Blog - Building My Nid Army - Kitbashes and Magnetization

 
   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

Voss wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.


Pretty sure they set that up at the end of Guardians 2


Yes. I saw the movie.


What I MEANT was that I'm wondering if the set up was more for an Endgame set up rather than GotG 3 set up.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






 Just Tony wrote:
Voss wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.


Pretty sure they set that up at the end of Guardians 2


Yes. I saw the movie.


What I MEANT was that I'm wondering if the set up was more for an Endgame set up rather than GotG 3 set up.


I believe they realize that introducing someone on the power level of Adam Warlock to just show up in the Thanos movie and fix everything is a generally bad idea. The reason Cap Marvel was saved for after IW and before EG is so that she is established to go and face and be a part of the events of EG. Also, all stories say that Adam was already planned for Guardians 3.



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
My P&M Blog - Building My Nid Army - Kitbashes and Magnetization

 
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader




 Just Tony wrote:
Voss wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.


Pretty sure they set that up at the end of Guardians 2


Yes. I saw the movie.


What I MEANT was that I'm wondering if the set up was more for an Endgame set up rather than GotG 3 set up.


That'd be clownish and hamfisted. As a Guardians villain/opposition, Adam can work with that brief reveal and get a chunk of backstory in 3.

As a last second insertion to defeat Thanos in Endgame, they'd have to establish all the who/what/when/where/whys, justify why he goes from Gold Planet to link up with the Avengers and why he'd even care about Thanos fresh out of the pod. The original comic version with Infinity Gauntlet/Wars had weight on the Adam vs Thanos plot because there were heaps and heaps of backstory (20+ years). The MCU doesn't have that, and stuffing Adam in at the end would cut the legs out under the finale of the last movie.

That ending is already a bit wobbly already since we know all the Stones together have essentially infinite wishing power, but having a new nigh-omnipotent guy show up would really ROFLstomp every emotion they're trying to establish in the Endgame trailer. It wouldn't matter how sad Tony is or how desperate Cap is or that.. uh, Scarlet Witch and Bruce are still... there, I guess? Just popping Adam into existence for Thanos interrupts the Avenger's story and doesn't let Him start one. The ongoing conflict with Thanos was one of Adam's major arcs, just having the resolution and tiny bit of lead-up* as part of the Avengers movie would really short out the whole thing.

*because they still have to follow the story of the Avengers and deal with everything that we see in the trailer and how they get to... that place... where Thanos is.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/09 03:36:52


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in de
Cataphract





Rhein Main Gebiet

I am actually quite excited for this movie now, I just hope they use her as a way to slide (a bald) Professor-X into the MCU.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Also, waiting to introduce Adam Warlock in GotG 3 lets Marvel set up the new team as well as being able to reuse Thanos as a baddie for Adam.

He will definitely be interesting in whatever phase he is introduced in to.

 Ouze wrote:

How did you forget that time you got elected King of the Liberals? You swore on a copy of the Communist Manifesto that you would defend every belief held by any member of the left, foreign or domestic, or may you be cursed to forever more drink only non-fair-trade coffee, forevermore


*0 Dakka Suspensions and still going strong! Probably because I believe in science!* 
   
Made in us
Skillful Swordmaster





West Lafayette, IN

Voss wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
Voss wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if they are going to ever get around to the whole Adam Warlock thing.


Pretty sure they set that up at the end of Guardians 2


Yes. I saw the movie.


What I MEANT was that I'm wondering if the set up was more for an Endgame set up rather than GotG 3 set up.


That'd be clownish and hamfisted. As a Guardians villain/opposition, Adam can work with that brief reveal and get a chunk of backstory in 3.

As a last second insertion to defeat Thanos in Endgame, they'd have to establish all the who/what/when/where/whys, justify why he goes from Gold Planet to link up with the Avengers and why he'd even care about Thanos fresh out of the pod. The original comic version with Infinity Gauntlet/Wars had weight on the Adam vs Thanos plot because there were heaps and heaps of backstory (20+ years). The MCU doesn't have that, and stuffing Adam in at the end would cut the legs out under the finale of the last movie.

That ending is already a bit wobbly already since we know all the Stones together have essentially infinite wishing power, but having a new nigh-omnipotent guy show up would really ROFLstomp every emotion they're trying to establish in the Endgame trailer. It wouldn't matter how sad Tony is or how desperate Cap is or that.. uh, Scarlet Witch and Bruce are still... there, I guess? Just popping Adam into existence for Thanos interrupts the Avenger's story and doesn't let Him start one. The ongoing conflict with Thanos was one of Adam's major arcs, just having the resolution and tiny bit of lead-up* as part of the Avengers movie would really short out the whole thing.

*because they still have to follow the story of the Avengers and deal with everything that we see in the trailer and how they get to... that place... where Thanos is.


I disagree, if introduced early enough in the film Warlock would still be a viable component and wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

does anyone think that now we are getting Xmen back in the MCU (ok possibly getting them back) that we may see a rogue done properly due to captain marvel kicking around in the MCU

   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader




 Just Tony wrote:

I disagree, if introduced early enough in the film Warlock would still be a viable component and wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.


Based on what? Marvel movies have two modes for characters: hour long backstory before the plot starts, or insignificant nothing characters that the heroes beat up as a prelude (or for Iron Man, as an irrelevant side story to Stark's psychological problems)

As is, they've got to deal with the aftermath of the last film, which if they've got any pretense at continuity and filmmaking, is going to be fairly depressing, and filled with angst and rage, and a lot of talking. We know for a fact that means picking up (or travelling to, which will eat more time) at Avenger's HQ, and for no apparent reason taking time to pick up Hawkeye in a new suit, because gods know an archer who doesn't use a bow anymore is crucial for dealing with a cosmic scale threat. Regardless, presumably that involves dealing with some of the chaos we see at the end of IW (with Hill and Fury), and in the trailer (whoever Hawkeye is fighting for whatever reason, which they ALSO have to establish).

Then the ones on Earth actually need to somehow hook up to the main plot, which has feth-all to do with Earth at this point. This can either be Thor taking them somewhere to find out the plot, or this could be where Captain Marvel links in.

On the other hand, you've got Stark monologuing at least a bit, apparently without Nebula, and both of them need to be dragged back to the plot (also possibly by Captain Marvel). Especially Nebula, as she is the ONLY vaguely emotional connection that Thanos has to anything in the entire universe. As a story element and character she seems pretty vital, as the Avengers going to Thanos' hut and informing him he done goofed doesn't hold any water at all.

Save some screen time with periodic scenes of Thanos and his musing (probably with kid Gamora), so there is actually an element of storytelling when the heroes catch up to him and have a confrontation.

Now add action scenes and something to fight against so there is actually a reason to watch this film beyond characters being depressed and angry (because they've several trillion reasons to be).

I have no idea how you'd propose to jam a new character in there and make him interesting or relevant to any of the dozens of things that are already established, need to be resolved or the various confrontations and dialogues that need to happen.

Movies are put together a certain way to deal with a limited run time (even if a lot of films try to stretch that these days). You can't just ignore everything to drop in Adam and pretend audiences will immediately grasp who he is and why he's there. The (future) MCU version of him doesn't mean squat to Thanos, so it would be a meaningless piece of trivia when it should be something important.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/10 03:20:24


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






 Formosa wrote:
does anyone think that now we are getting Xmen back in the MCU (ok possibly getting them back) that we may see a rogue done properly due to captain marvel kicking around in the MCU


Maybe? Eventually? I could see them using rogue as a way to put Captain Marvel out of the movies when her contract is up.

Honestly Rogues most interesting aspects is not being suped on Cap Marvel powers. It's her personal issues and adaptability. X men evolution had a good rogue and she never had all the power of the 90s xmen cartoon. Rogue has been great in recent years in the comics and she no longer has Danvers powers.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
My P&M Blog - Building My Nid Army - Kitbashes and Magnetization

 
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader




Plus MCU Captain Marvel's powers clearly aren't just the power set that Rogue got in the comics. She's tossing a lot of energy around, and Rogue just had the Strength, Invulnerability and Flight.

And she mostly got it for the arc to get her on the X-men and to shuffle the cast around. There was a lot of good drama with her switching teams, and how the X-men dealt with a powerless Danvers, but I suspect the driving focus was to have a Heavy in the lineup when they pushed half the cast off with injuries during the Marauder's attack (Colossus was benched). And to have a character arc-worthy trade-off in de-powering Storm, since Rogue was the theoretical target of Forge's anti-powers gun.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/12/10 14:36:35


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: