After what I think I can fairly say was the success of the previous “Tale of Gamers Painting Challenge
” that I started in mid-January until June, I’m going to launch another one that will run from July to December.
The point, once again is to go beyond the usual "painting goals for 20xx" that many of us - including myself - typically and set up a voluntary painting challenge for a bunch of us to participate in.
The point being to help focus at least some of our efforts on projects that we want to finish. With that in mind, there's no "defined" project that we all work on like Zombies or Board Games or 40k
armies. We'll each set our own goal.
The criteria is simple. We each choose a "thing" or perhaps a couple of things to work on that can last us for approximately 6 months of painting - from January to June. That thing could be:
A specific army for any "large" system.
i.e.: Space Marines, Ogres, Orcs/Orks/Orx/Orruks, Romans, Samurai, a fleet for Halo or Dystopian Wars - or even a fleet for X-Wing if you're repainting.
A warband/team for a smaller system. (and perhaps a backup since these often tend to cap out at 16-40 models)
i.e: SAGA Normans followed by Vikings. Bloodbowl Orcs followed by Elves. A Frostgrave or Mordheim Gang followed by a different gang or even a bunch of random encounter miniatures. (Ice Spiders and shizzle)
A bunch of stuff for a specific game.
i.e.: Deathwatch: Overkill, or The Dungeon Saga box (with or without expansions) or Space Hulk or Descent or Wrath of Ashardalon or "All the Zombies in Zombicide" or "the entire Box of Zombicide" or "all of the things I own for Zombicide" or even "anything I own relating even vaguely to zombies" or "My Warhammer Quest Silver Tower Box that I just picked up." – similarly, “D&D Monsters and PCs
for my campaign.” Is just as valid as “The contents of Descent 2.0.”
It could even be scenery - If you're making, say, an urban or desert, etc table and have enough stuff to paint over 6 months in discrete and meaningful chunks.
Month to Month:
Each month, participants will complete a "unit" for their chosen army/game. Complete is the key word here. You might have a unit just missing it’s standard bearer and/or leader. Paint that one or two figures – it completes the unit – that counts! You might have a couple of random painted zombies sitting around and add a few more to make them into a legal unit for your game of choice – that counts!
You can nominate it at the start or procrastinate for 3 1/2 weeks and nominate it when you're showing your "finished" pictures. There’s no requirement to show “before” photos, because as stated – the point is to finish stuff. A model might have just needed the final touch-ups for 2 months or 2 years – if this challenge helps you get that sucker done, then it’s done it’s work.
A "unit" should be theoretically legal - or at least thematically close to it
- we don't care if your Devastator Squad has only three heavy weapons, or if a guy has melta-bombs for some reason, or if only half of the Lizardmen have 2-handed weapons.
A "unit" that is “rank and file” should be at least 3 models. No upper limit
- if you wanna do 60 goblins, we're not gonna hold you back! Then again, if 10 goblins or zombies is enough for you in a month, that's cool as well.
A "unit" for a boardgame is something that you decide makes thematic sense.
- 10 Zombicide runners? Sure. 6 Fatties? Sure. A trio of Ravenloft monsters? Sure.
A "unit" can be a hero model, or a hero model with his retinue, or a monster, or a war machine.
- Marneus Calgar with or without his little gang? Sure for both. Gob-Lobber? Sure. Dragon? Sure? Army Standard Bearer? Sure. Chariot? Sure. Necromancer? Sure.
If you finish your unit, can you start another one as a stretch goal for that month? You sure bloody can!
- Especially encouraged if your unit was a smaller number or a simpler hero model. But hey, gak happens in life - as I certainly know - so there's certainly no recriminations if you get one, or three or none models painted in a given month. Having said that, if you’re probably not going to participate at all, then maybe hold off on the signup.
If you finish your entire project - particularly something like a boardgame
- you can choose to chill and take a well-deserved break - or continue by painting some similar/associated models. Like more Genestealers or Terminators or Zombies or D&D Monsters.
Very Important Stuff – to reiterate:
DOES NOT MATTER if you've already started the army/force/project/whatever.
DOES NOT MATTER if you've already half-painted all of the miniatures.
ONLY MATTERS that you're prompted to do some painting and get stuff finished.
The objective is simply to help motivate us all to complete those many unpainted models that we have, to support each other and perhaps some constructive advice or good-natured ribbing.
It also doesn't matter if you do a unit for this project each month and then fritter the rest of your time away on completely unrelated and random models.
If you'd like to participate, just add a post here stating what game/system/army/etc you want to focus on. If you'd like to nominate your first month's target, then feel free to do so. I'll update this post over the next few days while people rejoin, join and work out what we're going to spend time painting. Please don't just post on a lark, though - it's obviously better to have people on board for the duration rather than signing up and then never being seen again. Based on that, I reserve the right to allow late entries, remove non-participants and vet participants, etc.
We now have 34 participants, so in the interest of keeping updating this thing vaguely manageable, I've closed it, barring anyone from the first challenge that I missed, etc:
• 1 unit of Gondor OR Undead OR Ogres
• 1 unit of anything else from any game.
• Citadel Melniboneans
• Lord of the RIngs
• Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
• Stormcast Eternals
• Brettonia: The “Vain” Quest for the Grail, the 11th Crusade of Araby
• Warhammer 40,000 Dark Vengeance Box
• Deep Wars/Shadow Sea
• Mercs: Recon
• TBD (I'm guessing it involves Zombies!)
• Solar Auxilia
• Questoria Knights
Thraxas of Turai
• Space Marine Demi-Company
• Betrayal at Calth and additional 30k stuff
• Army of New Haven (as Army of Men for KoW
• Pre-historical tribesmen
• African Masai & Lion Warriors
• Street Gangs
The Grumpy Eldar
• King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host
• TNT Gangers
• Various Small Units and Warbands
• WarmaHordes Cryx & Minions
• Age of Sigmar Chaos (including Skaven)
• Sharp Practice/15mm 18th Century Imagi-nations.
• Portable Game Board for 15mm
• Board Game Models
• Chaos Horsemen
• Frostgrave Beastmen
• Heer Gepanzert Panzergrenadiers
• Epic Speed freaks
• Dropfleet Commander UCM & PHR
• Pre-Heresy 30k Marines
• Dark Angels: Ravenwing & Lion's Blade
• Raven Guard
Renegade Commander Arkos
• Renegade Militia
• Storm Guard Space Marines
• Imperial Fists Space Marines
• Heavy Gear Blitz
TP^DC Deputy Manager
• Space Hulk
• Space Hulk
• Execution Force
• Deathwatch: Overkill
• Ultramarines 4th Company
• Genestealer Cult
Monsters and Heroes
• Anglo Dane (Saga 4 point starter plus extra levie troops)
• Ork Nobs
• Undead vikings
Slots Reserved for:
• Da Boss